Rams 2023 draft

NVRamsFan

23 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

I'm on record as saying that I believe we'll actually see Stafford succeeded by a veteran rather than a rookie.  I genuinely think we could see McVay and Snead take a flier on Trey Lance if the Niners go in the Purdy direction long-term - it'd be an ego thing for McVay, but he and Lil Shanny tend to like/pursue the same types, so if Kyle saw something special in Lance and Sean has an opportunity to get a hold of that guy, he's going to do a heck of a lot of due diligence to see if he sees the same positives in Lance that Kyle saw.

Trey Lance doesn’t fit McVay’s style at all, whatsoever, at least that’s how I see it. 

6 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

Trey Lance doesn’t fit McVay’s style at all, whatsoever, at least that’s how I see it. 

You've seen how much of him?  I ask this because, literally, everybody that wasn't watching San Francisco practices on the regular in the early part of last season (so everyone that isn't their coaches, players, and media) has seen so little of where he's at in his development that next to no one is in any position as to what he does and doesn't fit.  There isn't a ton of difference between McVay's style and Shanahan's style - the main perceptible difference being that Kyle relies more on short and medium crossers and drag routes whereas McVay calls the 9- more, but really you can chalk that up to difference in QB's they've had at their disposal.  Jimmy doesn't the arm that Goff does, let alone Stafford; same goes for Purdy (realistically, same goes for Bennett; so if you're arguing that Bennett is some fantastic fit, then it would seem a logical concession that if one coach - who worked directly with the other and ran a largely similar scheme- felt Lance was a fit for the scheme, then there would at least be reason that the other might believe he would be too).

Trey Lance, 2 years removed from college, is not (or, reasonably, should not) be the same QB that he was at NDSU in terms of his development, so judging him based off his pre-draft tape is a poor choice.

If we're being honest, and Stafford were to retire after this season, I'd genuinely consider (lacking excitement as an option as he might be) Kirk Cousins to be a likely candidate as a stop-gap/bridge guy, because of his familiarity with McVay and the scheme.  I don't like it, and it doesn't blow my skirt up, but I'm not going to deny logical ties just because something doesn't excite me.

20 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

You've seen how much of him?  I ask this because, literally, everybody that wasn't watching San Francisco practices on the regular in the early part of last season (so everyone that isn't their coaches, players, and media) has seen so little of where he's at in his development that next to no one is in any position as to what he does and doesn't fit.  There isn't a ton of difference between McVay's style and Shanahan's style - the main perceptible difference being that Kyle relies more on short and medium crossers and drag routes whereas McVay calls the 9- more, but really you can chalk that up to difference in QB's they've had at their disposal.  Jimmy doesn't the arm that Goff does, let alone Stafford; same goes for Purdy (realistically, same goes for Bennett; so if you're arguing that Bennett is some fantastic fit, then it would seem a logical concession that if one coach - who worked directly with the other and ran a largely similar scheme- felt Lance was a fit for the scheme, then there would at least be reason that the other might believe he would be too).

Trey Lance, 2 years removed from college, is not (or, reasonably, should not) be the same QB that he was at NDSU in terms of his development, so judging him based off his pre-draft tape is a poor choice.

If we're being honest, and Stafford were to retire after this season, I'd genuinely consider (lacking excitement as an option as he might be) Kirk Cousins to be a likely candidate as a stop-gap/bridge guy, because of his familiarity with McVay and the scheme.  I don't like it, and it doesn't blow my skirt up, but I'm not going to deny logical ties just because something doesn't excite me.

Why would the 49ers trade Lance to a division rival? And McVay of all people? I wouldn't hate it and agree with your logic behind it, but can't see them admitting failure AND giving McVay a chance to amplify that failure. 

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Why would the 49ers trade Lance to a division rival? And McVay of all people? I wouldn't hate it and agree with your logic behind it, but can't see them admitting failure AND giving McVay a chance to amplify that failure. 

I don't think they end up trading him.  If Purdy solidifies himself as the guy, the Niner probably end up releasing Lance (or at minimum not picking up his 5th year option and letting him walk after Y4) to get out from under any guarantees tied to his health/fitness.

22 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

Ok but that's why you do with Bennett. 

Who can tell how Bennett would developp in 2 years ? Seems like you pencilled him too quickly as a backup for all his career. 

I'm not saying he will become an HOF but training camp hasn't start yet....let's see what he can do, specially in preseason and then we will decide if he's worth the hype or not :D

Edited by Flounch

• 3 months later...
On 5/5/2023 at 12:41 PM, Flounch said:

Ok but that's why you do with Bennett. 

Who can tell how Bennett would developp in 2 years ? Seems like you pencilled him too quickly as a backup for all his career. 

I'm not saying he will become an HOF but training camp hasn't start yet....let's see what he can do, specially in preseason and then we will decide if he's worth the hype or not :D

He’s looking pretty solid so far ;) 

I honestly think he’s the real deal