Commanders not picking up Young's 5th year option.

MikeT14

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That’s why not giving Chase the 5th year option was stupid, stupid STUPID!

The 5th year option episode give Chase more time to prove himself to us to get a 2nd contract or more time for him to prove himself to other teams so we could’ve gotten more compensation back in a trade next October.

Worst sports franchise in sports since 1994 continues to shoot itself in the foot!

Nah. I'm glad he's gone. We weren't sure how his knee was going to affect his play after seeing him in limited time last season. The decision had to be made and if he had balled out and done well and looked each game like he wanted to be here, the franchise tag wasn't much different than his 5th year option.

But I need to point out that the flip side to your point is that is gives Chase more time to put lazy play on tape (like the one I posted) and poison the well so much that no one would give us anything more than a 5th. Everyone complains that we let Trent go for so little. But what they fail to remember is that Trent and his agent torpedoed his value in the media. Coupled with our inability to move on him as quickly as we could've and his value went down from a 1st or 2nd and picks to the 3rd and 5th we got for him. And Trent had a MUCH better resume than Chase did. TL:DR- we moved on Chase and maximized value at the present time before he could screw it up. 

So yeah, Chase COULD have shown and proved himself. He could also have worked himself into not being worth even a 3rd after year 5 (the year isn't over) or after his tagged season. Remember there are no crystal balls. 

So yeah... I'll pocket the guaranteed 3rd round pick, get rid of a headache, let him go to SF and ball out, then get a bag elsewhere and go be lazy there.

• Like 4