Commanders not picking up Young's 5th year option.

MikeT14

Fans will not understand how dumb this is until next off-season when we have to decide which defensive end we want to let walk for nothing. And I love Ben Standig saying this is the smart thing to do because you can tag one and pay the other. What if the other one you don't tag wants to test free agency and won't accept an offer? Then what?

• Like 2

Hopefully this is followed by a trade of one of the two DEs. 

Otherwise, they’re just idiots. This organization has had the impressive ability to do something completely wrong, see it work out okay, and walk away feeling as though they nailed it, to the extent that they’ll try doing it again (and again).

In this case, they truly believe they made magic by not giving Payne a contract and “motivating” him to improve — ignoring the reality that they cost themselves tons of money by waiting. As well as the related reality that if he was only so motivated by getting a new contract…they just gave huge money to a guy who no longer has that same motivation.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

The longer Ron is here, the more and more I hate everything he does. 

He's only still here because of the ownership situation but the longer he's here the more damage he does. The new ownership team cannot keep this group around. They have to go. If somehow blowing $25M in cap space on Wylie, Gates and Barton wasn't evidence enough the 3 winning seasons in 12 years should cement it. 

• Like 1

Just now, RSkinGM said:

Whew, dodged that bullet !

Yep, you're right. Dodged the bullet of the coach who has 3 winning seasons in 12 years preaching how stuff like this motivates players. If Chase has a big year the guy who won't be coaching this team next season just screwed us royally. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He's only still here because of the ownership situation but the longer he's here the more damage he does. The new ownership team cannot keep this group around. They have to go. If somehow blowing $25M in cap space on Wylie, Gates and Barton wasn't evidence enough the 3 winning seasons in 12 years should cement it. 

Ya, I can't wait for the new ownership to not pick up his 5th year. I'll celebrate just as hard as I will for Dan leaving.

27 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Hopefully this is followed by a trade of one of the two DEs. 

Otherwise, they’re just idiots. This organization has had the impressive ability to do something completely wrong, see it work out okay, and walk away feeling as though they nailed it, to the extent that they’ll try doing it again (and again).

In this case, they truly believe they made magic by not giving Payne a contract and “motivating” him to improve — ignoring the reality that they cost themselves tons of money by waiting. As well as the related reality that if he was only so motivated by getting a new contract…they just have huge money to a guy who no longer has that same motivation.

That's how out of touch with today's day and age this regime is. We now enter this next year with our 2 starting first round pick d ends in contract years. What happens if they both ball out? Who do you pay? You going to pay 1 and let the other walk? You gonna pay one and franchise the other and hope that someone trades with you then? When you all of a sudden have absolutely 0 leverage because everyone knows you can't pay that much money to all 4 of your dlinemen? 

Plus, say Chase balls out. He would've made 17 million next year, he'll have to get paid over 20 to keep around. Real genius. 

I don't agree with this move simply because we could have broken up the Sweat/Curl/Young contract extensions from being the same year. Now we're stuck in a situation where we can only franchise tag one of them.  I will point out that we don't know the severity of Young's injury and recovery as well as they do, and maybe they think that was an injury that will impact the rest of this career. If you look at this move from the perspective of having no plan to extend Young to a long term deal after this season, and if you can get Curl extended now than it makes a lot of sense.  Or if you plan on trading Sweat this weekend, drafting a DE high and extending Curl this offseason then it kind of makes sense (although I'd argue you created an unnecessary hole on the roster and were required to fill it with a premium draft pick). Ultimately I think the better move would have been to use the 5th year option on Young, extend Curl now, and have the option to franchise Sweat if he blows up. That would have been a crapload of cap dedicated to the Dline though. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Nah they'll take Van Ness. The guy who isn't even a starter and hasn't had more than 6 sacks in a season. Way to go Ron!

It wasn't his fault that he didn't start, the coaching staff at Iowa doesn't start young players.  I actually think he's quite interesting as a prospect.  

• Like 1

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I don't agree with this move simply because we could have broken up the Sweat/Curl/Young contract extensions from being the same year. Now we're stuck in a situation where we can only franchise tag one of them.  

Honestly, this is the problem for me. If Sweat and Curl were already taken care of and here next season too, then I 100% get it. I think it makes sense. But dealing with Sweat, Young, Curl, simultaneously? What a joke.