Commanders not picking up Young's 5th year option.

MikeT14

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Interesting from DR:

Really wish he would give us a little context on where other top pass-rushers ended up as rookies. It’s not a position where guys always come right out of the box ready to dominate NFL LTs. Here’s a few guys you’ve probably heard of.

Khalil Mack: 4 sacks, 12 QB hits

TJ Watt: 7 sacks, 13 QB hits

Chandler Jones: 6 sacks, 12 QB hits

Aidan Hutchinson: 9.5 sacks, 15 QB hits

Maxx Crosby: 10 sacks, 14 QB hits

Ryan Kerrigan: 7.5 sacks, 14 QB hits

Chase Young: 7.5 sacks, 12 QB hits

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Really wish he would give us a little context on where other top pass-rushers ended up as rookies. It’s not a position where guys always come right out of the box ready to dominate NFL LTs. Here’s a few guys you’ve probably heard of.

I mean, its 106.7. This is their thing. Grant and Danny are both clueless. 

13 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Ya but that was Young's peak so far.  Those other guys really exploded in Years 2 or 3.  Young hasn't shown anything since his rookie season. 7.5 sacks and 12 QB hits isn't worth a big extension. 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya but that was Young's peak so far.  Those other guys really exploded in Years 2 or 3.  Young hasn't shown anything since his rookie season. 7.5 sacks and 12 QB hits isn't worth a big extension. 

Yeah but the issue is he had a major injury in the middle of his second season and while the entire defensive line save for Allen had a down year Young has taken the brunt of the blame for some weird reason? Not to mention, the staff clearly realized there was an issue because they fired Sam Mills. I just think Rivera the GM hurts Rivera the Coach a lot more then he understands. This team badly needs a GM that isn't in his feelings as the head coach. Not realizing the mess you're creating by failing to pick up his 5th year option is something a head coach would do. Not something a GM would do. 

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah but the issue is he had a major injury in the middle of his second season and while the entire defensive line save for Allen had a down year Young has taken the brunt of the blame for some weird reason? Not to mention, the staff clearly realized there was an issue because they fired Sam Mills. I just think Rivera the GM hurts Rivera the Coach a lot more then he understands. This team badly needs a GM that isn't in his feelings as the head coach. Not realizing the mess you're creating by failing to pick up his 5th year option is something a head coach would do. Not something a GM would do. 

People either still believe in his predraft projection or they don't. He came in with a reasonably good rookie season (not dominant), had a sophomore slump before getting injured then basically missed Year 3 with same injury. There's really no argument to be made that his on the field production at this point warrants an extension.  It would have to be completely based off of the same predraft projection. 

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

There's really no argument to be made that his on the field production at this point warrants an extension.  It would have to be completely based off of the same predraft projection. 

Thank You ! Voice of Reason .

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya this to me means they have no plans on giving Young an extension.  Probably for behind the scenes reasons we aren't privy to. 

More than likely. I mean Ron had stated even when letting Daron play out his year that he didn’t want to do what he did in Carolina letting one of their DT’s walk. And they paid Payne I believe they planned too all along. But these players want top of market deals they aren’t just going to give them these deals without putting it together on the field. We as fans we all want the best version of Chase as you know they did as well selecting him where they did. But they also know they can’t just reward him when it’s been over 18 months since we’ve seen a version of him that you can even warrant paying much less fielding

9 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

They won't do that. 

I agree. Its one of their biggest weaknesses. 

They are probably afraid he will blow up as a star after they trade him. 

I mean he still could do that, except we'd be getting a (maybe) 3rd round comp pick in 2025 vs. at least a 2nd rounder now.

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Allen and Payne weren't the issue on the DL in 2021. Young and Sweat were. Young played like garbage for most of the first 9 games before getting injured. People want to gloss over that and point to him being injured. I'll accept that excuse of him missing 8 games in 2021 and then all but 3 games last year. But what about the 9 games prior to injury. 1.5 sacks, 4 QB hits, and like 3 TFL in 9 games? From our alleged "generational talent"? People compare his college tape to Bosa's. And yet Bosa has delivered each year. He's the guy OC's stay up late at night having to scheme against. Chase, I'm sorry to say, isn't IMHO.

8 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Completely agree here. His rookie year was his peak. He played poorly in 2021 before getting hurt. And missed almost all of the 2022 season. I'm not gonna blast the team for not picking up a fully guaranteed $17M+ option off of 9 sacks and 16 QB hits in 2 years (*). For that production I can sign a guy for half that much. Or draft a guy on a cheap rookie deal.

The ONLY thing I don't like about this is that it pushes the decision on him into when we need to start worrying about Sweat. If we can get Curl signed now, then we have a 50/50 shot between the two DEs. So if we can't trade Young now, we keep him and if a team needs a DE during the season, we trade him then. I'd rather get a 2nd (or package of picks) in 2024 than a possible 3rd round comp pick in 2025.

(*) giving him a break for only starting 2 games last year so not counting that against him). 

I don’t agree with this for all the reasons I’ve mentioned for months, his age vs Montez’s age & the 5th-year option is cheaper than the franchise tag next year, plus, I don’t like having Chase & Tez’s contracts ending in the same offseason & them both being free agents next March.

But, I hope this works out for the best & Chase is motivated & focused more and has a double digit sack season and they sign him to a long term deal next March.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t agree with this for all the reasons I’ve mentioned for months, his age vs Montez’s age & the 5th-year option is cheaper than the franchise tag next year, plus, I don’t like having Chase & Tez’s contracts ending in the same offseason & them both being free agents next March.

But, I hope this works out for the best & Chase is motivated & focused more and has a double digit sack season and they sign him to a long term deal next March.

Having all of your DE ending up as free agents at the same time would be very Ron Rivera. This is the same guy who gutted our OL so he could sign his old Panther buddies. 

• Like 1