Commanders not picking up Young's 5th year option.

MikeT14

10 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Okay, so it's a distinction without much of a difference for me here. If he sucks/is not worth it, we're out $17.5M. If he is great, we only have a premium tacked on of $7M.

Pay an extra $7M or lose $17.5M those are your options.

Salary cap probably goes up another $25 million too. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

8 games, but who’s counting? He didn’t finish the game Vs the Bucs when he hurt his knee, in fact I think he got hurt in the 1st half.

I’d rather have Chase locked up for two more years bc I think he’s only going to get better and develop more. He just turned 24. Even if he wasn’t better than average this year - his 1st year playing after his knee injury - he could still play good to great under the 5th year option in 2024, two seasons after his knee injury, which is more likely than him having a good to great year this year.

I hate that he’s going to be a FA after this year bc I want to see him develop & for him to be given a chance to develop more than just 1 year coming off of one of the most serious knee injures you can have, but it is what it is.  Rivera once again made a and decision IMO, he’s been chalk full of them since he was hired.

If Chase doesn’t play well this year - hard to imagine - he didn’t even play poorly the last few games or last year or the 1st half of the 2021 season. Yeah, he wasn’t “generational” the first half of 2021 but he wasn’t bad, he just didn’t get home to get sacks on all of the pressures he had. I think a lot of that had to do with how poorly our pass D played the first half of 2021 but, I’m sure I’d never get an agreement from those who’ve already made up their mind that Chase just will never live up to his draft stock bc he wasn’t great the 1st half of 2021 & then he got hurt so there’s no possible way he can improve and live up to the hype he had before, during the draft and in his rookie year…

Jennifer Lawrence Ok GIF

See bolded. I already went over this and you're engaging in a ton of revisionist history. So 'Imma Stop You Right There'

In 2021 - Chase had exactly 13 Pressures in 9 games. You might think "hey, that's a lot!".

But no...It's not. Not really. Bosa (for example) had 49 in 17 games. 

The top 10 defenders had these in 17 games. 

52, 52, 49, 47, 47, 45, 43, 43, 42, 42

Even if we doubled Chase's production from the 9 games and we give him a whopping 26, you know where that places him?

In a tie with Everson Griffin at #47. And Everson got his 26 in 9 games (he played the same amount of games Chase did that year and doubled his production).

So no. He wasn't good that year. I really wish people would stop pretending he was and essentially wishcasting. Like I said before, great players show up. He didn't. Which is okay. We can acknowledge the uncomfortable truths, while hoping he balls out this year.

Now, to your final point, do I think he can return to rookie year form? Unsure. I certainly hope he can. I really do. Have many playmakers available to choose from is better than having none. And if we can't/don't extend him or Sweat, then I'll take the comp pick. OR even better, I'll take a trade during this season for a 2nd and other picks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Salary cap probably goes up another $25 million too. 

Yup. I think I mentioned that in an earlier post. I don't like having to do both him and Sweat at the same time so that's the only argument that even works for me here, even a little bit. But I'm just not exposing $17.5M because I don't want to pay an extra $7M in a year when I'm allowed to pay an extra $25M

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 4:27 AM, turtle28 said:

The only way Sweat has been above Chase so far is in health. Sadly for Chase, there's nothing that can be done about that. It sucks he got hurt but, he has this year to prove still that he deserves a 2nd contract with the team, as does Sweat & may the best man win that 2nd contract.

Sweat plays within the scheme and impacts the teams success as a whole, in a much more positive way - than chase young. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

See bolded. I already went over this and you're engaging in a ton of revisionist history. So 'Imma Stop You Right There'

In 2021 - Chase had exactly 13 Pressures in 9 games. You might think "hey, that's a lot!".

Even if we doubled Chase's production from the 9 games and we give him a whopping 26, you know where that places him?

In a tie with Everson Griffin at #47. And Everson got his 26 in 9 games (he played the same amount of games Chase did that year and doubled his production).

So no. He wasn't good that year. I really wish people would stop pretending he was and essentially wishcasting. Like I said before, great players show up. He didn't. Which is okay. We can acknowledge the uncomfortable truths, while hoping he balls out this year.

Now, to your final point, do I think he can return to rookie year form? Unsure. I certainly hope he can. I really do. Have many playmakers available to choose from is better than having none. And if we can't/don't extend him or Sweat, then I'll take the comp pick. OR even better, I'll take a trade during this season for a 2nd and other picks.

I recently have not said he's Nick Bosa, during the draft process many people - and I agreed - tought he had potential to be better than Bosa bc Chase is more athletic but, Bosa has impeccable form to go along with strength and athleticism. 

I'm kind of wondering - like Lavar is too - if this system holds back our pass rushers. It's pretty basic, they don't do a lot of exotic stuff, they don't move Chase & Tez around often to take advantage of matches vs an interior OL, or line them standing over the center, or heck, what about putting them on the same side downtimes to get one of them one on one vs a guard or even a TE or RB. 

I don't know, it's something. It just doesn't make sense that Rak (when healthy) & Kerrigan regularly got 9 plus sacks & two guys who are bigger stronger & faster haven't had a double-digit sack season between the two.

21 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Pressures are a bogus stat. They are based off of opinion not fact. I see what you're saying in how big of a difference there is between him and those other guys, but some of those guys get "pressures" for getting within 5 feet of a QB and didn't even affect the play. I remember seeing a Za'darius Smith had like double digit pressures in 1 game and never even had a sack. 

6 hours ago, Scott Land said:

Pressures are a bogus stat. They are based off of opinion not fact. I see what you're saying in how big of a difference there is between him and those other guys, but some of those guys get "pressures" for getting within 5 feet of a QB and didn't even affect the play. I remember seeing a Za'darius Smith had like double digit pressures in 1 game and never even had a sack. 

They're not bogus IMO. A pressure is when you get close to the QB but don't get a sack. Z Smith obviously was affecting the game getting that many pressures even if he didn't get a sack. Pressures can cause a QB to throw early, throw incompletions & have turnovers.

For ex. in 2021 when people act like Chase did absolutely nothing in the 8.5 games he played in, he had a pressure on Pat Mahomes & that pressure led to a Bobby McCain int as Chase hit Mahomes as he was throwing & the ball flew up in the air & McCain plucked it.

Edited by turtle28

• 2 months later...

For as much shade as I toss at Chase' immaturity..... I am hopeful this experience has humbled him. ALSO - with EB and Sam I am hopeful that we can play with a lead this season. That is something that works against Chase unfairly, he very rarely gets to pin his ears back and rush a desperate team that has been reduced to a 1 dimension offense.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Was it smart not to extend his fifth year?  Part of any sport is being on the field/court/ice, and Young hasn’t done that.  Meanwhile, it seems that health isn’t the issue for the rest of his compatriots on the DL.  So do I get the fact that some people, like me, think it was a smart decision?  Yeah.  Do I get that a (likely) sizeable group of fans also think it’s crazy that we didn’t?  Also yes.  But I don’t get the personal stuff and how people seem to take sports so personally.  It is pretty gross, and it makes me want to stop supporting my teams altogether at times. 

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Was it smart not to extend his fifth year?  Part of any sport is being on the field/court/ice, and Young hasn’t done that.  Meanwhile, it seems that health isn’t the issue for the rest of his compatriots on the DL.  So do I get the fact that some people, like me, think it was a smart decision?  Yeah.  Do I get that a (likely) sizeable group of fans also think it’s crazy that we didn’t?  Also yes.  But I don’t get the personal stuff and how people seem to take sports so personally.  It is pretty gross, and it makes me want to stop supporting my teams altogether at times. 

Yeah I saw some dummy on Hogs Haven call him a waste of skin. Overall Chase seems like a good dude who just keeps getting hurt. Calling someone a waste of skin over sports is more of a reflection of the person making the comment in my opinion. 

• Like 1