Commanders not picking up Young's 5th year option.

MikeT14

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

According to Ben Standig, they have not engaged the representatives for either Young or Sweat, who are represented by the same agency.  

Additionally, one of his sources says he believes both players are on the table at the deadline. 

This is the part that ticks me off. Why are we not trying to talk with them during the season and get something done? This is utterly stupid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

According to Ben Standig, they have not engaged the representatives for either Young or Sweat, who are represented by the same agency.  

Additionally, one of his sources says he believes both players are on the table at the deadline. 

Makes sense. We can pretend that guys like JSW and Toohill can replace them and then two years from now when we waste the picks we get for them we can cry about how we wished we had players just like them. Rinse repeat 

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

This is the part that ticks me off. Why are we not trying to talk with them during the season and get something done? This is utterly stupid.

Also, who is trading them? Lol. Mayhew!? Rivera!? For picks they’ll never use or if it’s Harris then man we’re in big trouble all over again. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

No. I mean why are we not talking to their agents and trying to get new contracts done. 

Oh I get that but according to Standig executives around the league believe we’ll be sellers. Who is doing the selling? And if it’s Rivera, then god help us all. Also, I’ve never been of the opinion that having a massive sell off in the NFL works. I’m theory in sounds great. Trade off all of your players before having to pay them and stock pile a bunch of picks but you actually have to hit on those picks. Trading away the few that you’ve hit on for more lottery tickets is the single dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.

Look at the Titans who refused to pay AJ Brown. You think they’d like to pay him now? And for how good the 49ers are, they’ve never replaced Buckner. Look at how bad the Mack and Cooper trades turned out for the Raiders. When you hit on talent and you have the means to keep them, you do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Oh I get that but according to Standig executives around the league believe we’ll be sellers. Who is doing the selling? And if it’s Rivera, then god help us all. Also, I’ve never been of the opinion that having a massive sell off in the NFL works. I’m theory in sounds great. Trade off all of your players before having to pay them and stock pile a bunch of picks but you actually have to hit on those picks. Trading away the few that you’ve hit on for more lottery tickets is the single dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.

Look at the Titans who refused to pay AJ Brown. You think they’d like to pay him now? And for how good the 49ers are, they’ve never replaced Buckner. Look at how bad the Mack and Cooper trades turned out for the Raiders. When you hit on talent and you have the means to keep them, you do. 

Yup. I'd only be willing to part with them if I was assured that there was no way they would re-sign. And if we're not talking with them, then there's no way we can find that out. 

12 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Makes sense. Which is why we won't do it. Especially the part about signing to a LTD. I just cannot, for the life of me, understand why we are not talking to our soon-to-be free agents and trying to get a deal done or at least getting to understand where they are so we can possibly get there after the season ends. This way we can decide if it makes more sense to pay up, franchise, or let them walk. 

But not talking to them at all means we know zippy about what they want

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Makes sense. Which is why we won't do it. Especially the part about signing to a LTD. I just cannot, for the life of me, understand why we are not talking to our soon-to-be free agents and trying to get a deal done or at least getting to understand where they are so we can possibly get there after the season ends. This way we can decide if it makes more sense to pay up, franchise, or let them walk. 

But not talking to them at all means we know zippy about what they want

If I was any of those players agents I would tell them to wait until the coaching situation settles before I'd agree to any extension. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

If I was any of those players agents I would tell them to wait until the coaching situation settles before I'd agree to any extension. 

ABSOLUTELY! I would definitely do as well if I were their agents.

I'm just saying it's malpractice for our Front Office to not at least be reaching out to see what they want and where they are at. There should be constant communication with our 2024 FAs. At least, I'm sure that is what happens on well-run teams.

That way we know what it might take to retain them and if they like the new GM/coaching changes then we can finalize a deal. And to your point, maybe they take a bit less $$ (a pipe dream I know) if it's a coach they really want to play for and think can maximize their talents.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm just saying it's malpractice for our Front Office to not at least be reaching out to see what they want and where they are at. There should be constant communication with our 2024 FAs. At least, I'm sure that is what happens on well-run teams.

That way we know what it might take to retain them and if they like the new GM/coaching changes then we can finalize a deal. And to your point, maybe they take a bit less $$ (a pipe dream I know) if it's a coach they really want to play for and think can maximize their talents.

I think everything this staff and front office has ever done would fall under the malpractice category. I STG if Chase Young gets traded, and it's anything less than a first, I might seriously consider never watching another Washington game. I have about had it with this franchise and this would be enough to push me right off the edge. 

15 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

No doubt.  Not to mention it doesn't hurt to let them know they are wanted.  This isn't about being coy.  These are our guys, if you want to keep them then let them know.  Right now you are the only team who can talk to them, don't waste that monopoly.  

I expect @MKnight82 is right for the most part, but that isn't an absolutism.  Maybe Curl will sign.  Maybe Sweat will sign.  Worst case as you point out we gather information.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, offbyone said:

No doubt.  Not to mention it doesn't hurt to let them know they are wanted.  This isn't about being coy.  These are our guys, if you want to keep them then let them know.  Right now you are the only team who can talk to them, don't waste that monopoly.  

I expect @MKnight82 is right for the most part, but that isn't an absolutism.  Maybe Curl will sign.  Maybe Sweat will sign.  Worst case as you point out we gather information.

For all we know they are trying to negotiate with them.  

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

For all we know they are trying to negotiate with them.  

I hope so.  I guess I just have zero faith in this group, but I shouldn't assume they aren't trying. 

It's interesting now that the non football drama is gone it really puts a spotlight back on the football and it ain't pretty.  We used that non football drama as an excuse for the football stuff before.