Draft Day talk Round 1

warfelg

Thank you for making this. With the craziness of the draft I can’t be worried about sifting through all the different mock draft threads 🤣

Been a wild couple months. I plan on parking my butt here in this thread for the night (and most of today). 

I will call my shot - I think one way or another Broderick Jones is a Pittsburgh Steeler by the end of the night. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

I would love to have separate threads for separate rounds. I’m not going to be able to watch and the thought of looking through 100 pages to get current gives me a headache 😂 

I plan on trying to make a new one every day.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Squanchy said:

So basically no one knows anything.  

To me it makes more sense for a CB than an OT. We have serious issues at the position both this year and looking forwards. Moore has shown enough to hope he continues improving, but is somewhat serviceable 

Edited by SteelersFan2333
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

To me it makes more sense for a CB than an OT. We have serious issues at the position both this year and looking forwards. Moore has shown enough to hope he continues improving, but is somewhat serviceable 

I disagree based on the depth of CB in this draft…I mean I’d be ok if it was for Gonzalez but I wouldn’t be thrilled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Tom Welling Dd GIF

Im so excited. Months of speculation and all of that coming to a close and into the real deal. 

now that we at that time, what are you hoping, what are you expecting?

23 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

this is what I think too. If there was a deep OT class of players and a homerun LT was there around 12, then it's good . This class though, it's not really like that.  CB though, we need help and next year will need more help . If they were to do this, I hope they get Witherspoon at 12  by sending 17 and 80, then trade down 32 as well as 49 a few picks to get more picks unless THE player is there and they must take that player. 

With this class deep at CB, it might  not be the best idea to trade up for a CB. This also goes against the Steeler way, in that they haven't spend RD1 on CB, well legit CB in a few decades. No probowl CB since Lake IIRC and he was LB in college . Woodson was a Safety in college, thats how far back we are going. If we got a legit top tier quality CB then thats going to help more than the slight gains the OT  might offer unless Moore turns into dotson this year. 

Witherspoon sets the tone and can play the slot which could be the deciding factors. 

where do you expect Devon to be drafted at? I have seen 6 and then a bit later even lasting to 17 at one time in a mock I was doing but that seems far fetched.  

If the combine freaks sneak into the top 15 and then the QB's have a run early and then a few surprise picks, maybe the trade up for Devon could be  12-14 range.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFF said:

I disagree based on the depth of CB in this draft…I mean I’d be ok if it was for Gonzalez but I wouldn’t be thrilled.

Exactly...to me, Gonzalez has no better opportunity to succeed than Forbes, Banks (even though I really don't want Banks, I don't think Gonzalez is much, if any, better), JPJ, etc.  In fact, I think any one of DJ Turner, Clark Phillips III, or Tomlinson, will be more successful than Banks, or Gonzalez...I also like Rush, Cam Smith, and several others, which is why I would rather they not even take CB in the 1st.

As I mentioned in a different thread, if we are going to trade up, how about Carter at 1.5 + Seattles 5.152 (1730 trade points), for our 1.17, 2.32, 3.80 (1729.4 trade points)...leaves us with 2.49, our 4th, add the 5th, and 2 7ths...now that would at least be worthy of trading up for...there are no suitable replacement talents to Carter in this draft...so long as his head is on straight.  Or Will Anderson or Tyree Wilson...these are franchise players...no other of these type exist, at this moment (development can happen, or injuries, or who knows what--but based o what we know today, there is Bijan, and those 3, and that's it.  If we trade up, go big, or go home!

EDIT!!  I lied...I think Nolan Smith is special too, but wouldn;t trade up higher than Atlanta, as he's not projected to go much higher, if at all...

Edited by Ward4HOF
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, AFF said:

I honestly prefer Witherspoon.  He would be my top choice at CB.  I like both players, but I just feel like Witherspoon is a better overall prospect and Gonzales has potential.  The potential is only good if it is realized. 

12 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

now that we at that time, what are you hoping, what are you expecting?

this is what I think too. If there was a deep OT class of players and a homerun LT was there around 12, then it's good . This class though, it's not really like that.  CB though, we need help and next year will need more help . If they were to do this, I hope they get Witherspoon at 12  by sending 17 and 80, then trade down 32 as well as 49 a few picks to get more picks unless THE player is there and they must take that player. 

With this class deep at CB, it might  not be the best idea to trade up for a CB. This also goes against the Steeler way, in that they haven't spend RD1 on CB, well legit CB in a few decades. No probowl CB since Lake IIRC and he was LB in college . Woodson was a Safety in college, thats how far back we are going. If we got a legit top tier quality CB then thats going to help more than the slight gains the OT  might offer unless Moore turns into dotson this year. 

Witherspoon sets the tone and can play the slot which could be the deciding factors. 

where do you expect Devon to be drafted at? I have seen 6 and then a bit later even lasting to 17 at one time in a mock I was doing but that seems far fetched.  

If the combine freaks sneak into the top 15 and then the QB's have a run early and then a few surprise picks, maybe the trade up for Devon could be  12-14 range.  

We are in agreement here.  He is the only CB I would remotely consider going up to get. I am scared to trade draft capital because there are no picks for 5-6 rounds and decent players who could help the team that will be available there.  Plus the last Devon we moved up to get didn't work out really well. 

what a draft to consider trading up in. No sure picks, they all have question marks.  If a team trades up, will it turn out to be a Bush deal for them ? We hope not for us, that would be 2 in a row for a team that never trades up that often.