Philapelphia Eagles Draft Day 1 Discussion -- NO SPOILERS

EaglesPeteC

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

You can be the envy of the NFL with how you played the first round of the draft, but the Negadelphian will never go away. Such is the life of being an Eagles fan. 

Eagles had the second best 1st round, does not mean we can not analyze Nolan Smith.  If we were all in lock step, there would be nothing to discuss, and no reason for this message board.

9 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Yes my second favorite part of the off season. Not sure what you expected when we had to bring back a lot of our own guys which count towards FAs, sign hurts and still have money for other things like the draft. 

Howie knocked it out of the park with he had to work with. 

It's far from perfect.

I mean I wouldn't crucify him for it, but the talent we brought is super underwhelming. Knocked it out of the park is a homer comment.

We brought serviceable talent at best on one year deals. 

4 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

It's far from perfect.

I mean I wouldn't crucify him for it, but the talent we brought is super underwhelming. Knocked it out of the park is a homer comment.

We brought serviceable talent at best on one year deals. 

Penny, played in 42 of 82 games in his career, only had more than 100 carries once in 5 years.

Terrell Edmunds, former 1st round pick who never lived up to his draft slot and had to sign a 1 year prove it deal.

Greedy Williams, former second round pick who never lived up to his draft slot and had to sign a 1 year prove it deal.

Nick Morrow, I like him, and he is the best FA we signed, but another 1 year deal.

Justin Evans, missed the 2019, 2020 and 2021 seasons.

21 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Eagles had the second best 1st round, does not mean we can not analyze Nolan Smith.  If we were all in lock step, there would be nothing to discuss, and no reason for this message board.

You can feel how you want about the team I am not going say you are wrong cause know one has a clue what will happen. That doesn't mean it is any less funny that you are telling people to "pump the brakes" cause they are excited about all the young talent we have acquired the past two years. Like if people can't be optimistic and hopeful on draft weekend of all times when can they be? Especially when we have had so many disappointing picks in the past(even if they turned out to be the right one like Hurts).

But this isn't anything new. I used to be much more negative/critical of everything the Eagles did, but sometimes it is nice to just sit back and be happy everyone in the NFL is envious of how well we played the first round. Again not saying you can't feel however you feel, just my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Guess time will tell. Eagles basically saved $65M swapping out (22 yr old) Jalen Carter for (30 yr old) Javon Hargrave. Assuming his comp pick is at least a 4th next year. 🍺

If Carter pans out it will be an awesome transition from talent and cost. As of this moment of course 2023 Jalen Carter is not better than 2023 Hargrave. But here's to not having to see the Eagles waste more resources at DT in a long long time 🍺

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

is nice to just sit back and be happy everyone in the NFL is envious of how well we played the first round. 

This is true, it is a nice change from the usual. It is so  weird waking up from a Draft day and not having that sense of frustration, disappointment and resignation that usually follows an Eagles Draft. 

Edited by Broadway Joe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

If Carter pans out it will be an awesome transition from talent and cost. As of this moment of course 2023 Jalen Carter is not better than 2023 Hargrave. But here's to not having to see the Eagles waste more resources at DT in a long long time 🍺

Hate to break it to you, but we will be signing or drafting a DT in the first three rounds again next year(unless we draft another this year).

7 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

You can feel how you want about the team I am not going say you are wrong cause know one has a clue what will happen. That doesn't mean it is any less funny that you are telling people to "pump the brakes" cause they are excited about all the young talent we have acquired the past two years. Like if people can't be optimistic and hopeful on draft weekend of all times when can they be? Especially when we have had so many disappointing picks in the past(even if they turned out to be the right one like Hurts).

But this isn't anything new. I used to be much more negative/critical of everything the Eagles did, but sometimes it is nice to just sit back and be happy everyone in the NFL is envious of how well we played the first round. Again not saying you can't feel however you feel, just my opinion.

I did not say anyone can not be excited or optimistic about the picks.

The tweet pointed out all the great picks Howie made since Reagor.

All I did was point out that 4 of those 5 players have not played any meaningful snaps in the NFL, and Jordan Davis did not look like he was worthy of the 14th pick in the draft.

You can be excited about the potential while also realizing that they still actually have to do it in the NFL.

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Hate to break it to you, but we will be signing or drafting a DT in the first three rounds again next year(unless we draft another this year).

I'm not as ready as you to give up on Davis yet, because if we go DT on the first three rounds again, something has gone terribly wrong with him. Already Milton Williams, who looks like a fine player, is looking like a waste of a third rounder given that he will be nothing more than a rotational DT, which is rich for a 3rd rounder.

1 minute ago, Broadway Joe said:

I'm not as ready as you to give up on Davis yet, because if we go DT on the first three rounds again, something has gone terribly wrong with him. Already Milton Williams, who looks like a fine player, is looking like a waste of a third rounder given that he will be nothing more than a rotational DT, which is rich for a 3rd rounder.

Cox isn't going to be here next year and we will be running a lot more hybrid fronts with Desai. Davis and Carter will both be starting, but we are going to need another interior DL going forward. Has nothing to do with what I think about Milton/Davis. It is simply a numbers game and we are going to need more interior DL going forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Cox isn't going to be here next year and we will be running a lot more hybrid fronts with Desai. Davis and Carter will both be starting, but we are going to need another interior DL going forward. Has nothing to do with what I think about Milton/Davis. It is simply a numbers game and we are going to need more interior DL going forward.

Is Milton Williams is still under contract for 2024, getting another DT in the first 3 rounds to play another rotational role would be a waste.

2 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Is Milton Williams is still under contract for 2024, getting another DT in the first 3 rounds to play another rotational role would be a waste.

Yes he is under contract.  And yes, a rotational DT in the first 3 rounds is not good resource allocation.

• Like 1