1.23 - Jordan Addison, WR, USC - #3

SemperFeist

34 minutes ago, Sir Fobos said:

Because elected or appointed individuals/groups in the respective jurisdictions decided to impose them.

If the majority of the populations in the civilized world disagreed they would elect/ appoint new officials to repeal them. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

If the majority of the populations in the civilized world disagreed they would elect/ appoint new officials to repeal them. 

I'd love to discuss why I disagree with that idealistic view of the world, but we're moving off topic.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

When someone is immature and not the brightest light bulb, they unaware of their own behaviors. He’s a child and it’s pretty evident. I suggest taking a few psychology courses.

Oh brother!  The first thing they tell you in any psych course is the curriculum is not providing informatiin to do arm chair diagnoses!  Diagnosis of mental health issues should only be done by professionals with clinical experience, which I doubt describes Keith. 

The other thing I would point out is that being "immature" or a "dim bulb" are not mental health conditions or subjects covered by any psych course I know of.  If they are covered in any psych course you've participated in, I would have serious questions regarding the instructors knowledge.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

Oh brother!  The first thing they tell you in any psych course is the curriculum is not providing informatiin to do arm chair diagnoses!  Diagnosis of mental health issues should only be done by professionals with clinical experience, which I doubt describes Keith. 

The other thing I would point out is that being "immature" or a "dim bulb" are not mental health conditions or subjects covered by any psych course I know of.  If they are covered in any psych course you've participated in, I would have serious questions regarding the instructors knowledge.

What are you even talking about and where was anything said about mental health? Psychology is about human behavior and obviously JA is completely unaware. The kid will be a bust I can guarantee. Save this post.

Edited by KeithVikings28

What a knucklehead.

As far as whether it is more dangerous to be driving intoxicated or driving that fast, it obviously depends on the degree of intoxication and speed. Driving 140mph is far more dangerous than driving with a 0.08 BAC.

At a 0.08 BAC travelling 70mph one would travel an extra 12 feet before reacting to a hazard given an average increase of 120 ms reaction time.

Travelling 140mph instead of 70mph one would travel far more than 12 extra feet before being able to stop. That's common sense. If you want more nerdery you need to consider the mass of the object in motion and the max coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road to determine how fast it is even theoretically possible to slow down in 12 feet. Suffice it to say, it would take a lot more than 12 feet for a lambo to slow down 70mph no matter what kind of tires are on the car and what the characteristics are of the particular road surface.

So, one is more likely to hit a hazard when going 140mph in a 70mph zone than if they were going 70mph at a 0.08 BAC. But does more likely mean it is more dangerous?  Not necessarily, but if the danger is positively correlated to speed at impact (and does anyone want to argue it is not?) then it is more likely that one will be unable to avoid a hazard when going that fast and it is also more dangerous when the impact happens.

I am not sure how much alcohol one would have to have in them before driving drunk would be more dangerous than driving 140mph.  The table here only shows reaction times until 73.1 mg/100ml:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Decision-and-choice-reaction-time-mean-SD-as-a-function-of-blood-alcohol_tbl1_16379602

I would rather be in the middle of a road crossing it on foot when a drunk driver is coming at me at the speed limit than when Jordan Addison is coming at me with his full head of steam in that fancy sports car of his.  If nothing else, I'll have a better chance to dodge the drunkard than I would have of getting out of Addison's way.

It is not a ridiculous statement to say that going 140 mph is as dangerous as driving under the influence unless you are talking being very, very under the influence -- something that was not mentioned.  140 mph is very, very fast and was mentioned. Or maybe it is ridiculous for leaving it at "as dangerous" implying the danger is about equal when it is in reality far more dangerous compared to the danger carried by most people driving under the influence -- most of which get home without incident every single day.

Jordan Addison's behavior was very, very knuckleheaded and super dangerous -- significantly more dangerous than your run of the mill intoxicated driver. 

Edited by Cearbhall

16 hours ago, Purplexing said:

US roadways for public use were not designed for travel above 70 mph, with rare exceptions.   

Not that it really matters in this specific incident (as he was going far above 70mph), but this statement is absolutely false.

14 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

The kid will be a bust I can guarantee. Save this post.

guarantees come with a statement, usually seen as a penalty, if the guarantor is wrong.

you just spew out dribbles but what are you backing them up with? saying a first round pick will be a bust is a high claim, i'll give you that. so how about if you're wrong, you don't post here for a year?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sir Fobos said:

Because elected or appointed individuals/groups in the respective jurisdictions decided to impose them.

I'll only try once more to elicit an answer to the prior question about the REASONING for speed limits: WHY would elected officials enable traffic safety regulators to determine safe speeds on highways and to then post specific speed limits on specific highways?   FYI: elected officials don't impose speed limits.  Experts in traffic safety are given the authority to do so and they are NOT elected officials for a good reason.  Be aware that I attended a full day CE seminar in late March that included a session on highway accidents, their causes, and recent legislation on that issue.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Is he even 100% healthy to open Training Camp? What's his status, if any, on that front?

He should be good to go.

One might say he's going full speed ahead, cruisin' his way to be one of our top receivers this year!

(Okay, I'll see myself out now)

Edited by SteelKing728
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

I'll only try once more to elicit an answer to the prior question about the REASONING for speed limits: WHY would elected officials enable traffic safety regulators to determine safe speeds on highways and to then post specific speed limits on specific highways?   FYI: elected officials don't impose speed limits.  Experts in traffic safety are given the authority to do so and they are NOT elected officials for a good reason.  Be aware that I attended a full day CE seminar in late March that included a session on highway accidents, their causes, and recent legislation on that issue.

seems like football would be a far more interesting topic to discuss, at least here. in a football centric forum, of football fans.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

guarantees come with a statement, usually seen as a penalty, if the guarantor is wrong.

you just spew out dribbles but what are you backing them up with? saying a first round pick will be a bust is a high claim, i'll give you that. so how about if you're wrong, you don't post here for a year?

I can guarantee he will be a bust. Already dealing with injuries, doing stupid stuff and below average athlete= bust. 

3 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

I can guarantee he will be a bust. Already dealing with injuries, doing stupid stuff and below average athlete= bust. 

yes, you're repeating yourself. i didn't ask WHY you think he'll bust, you have your own reasons, that's fine. i'm asking you what will you do as part of your guarantee that he will, if he does not?

as in, what stakes are you putting on the table? otherwise it's just bluster you're not backing up.

Just now, vike daddy said:

yes, you're repeating yourself. i didn't ask WHY you think he'll bust, you have your own reasons, that's fine. i'm asking you what will you do as part of your guarantee that he will, if he does not?

as in, what stakes are you putting on the table? otherwise it's just bluster you're not backing up.

If he’s a bust you don’t post for a year and if he’s not than I won’t post.

• Like 1