1.23 - Jordan Addison, WR, USC - #3

SemperFeist

Addison gave his public apology.  Camp is about to start.  I hope that J.J. and McCardell have talked to him about how difficult it is to become a starting WR in The NFL, needing to concentrate fully on learning the play book and WR routes, and that being in trouble behaviour wise hurts a player's status in the locker room, and with trust from the coaching staff and owners, and might jeopardise his NHL, or even professional Football career possibilities, and that he'll put his nose to the grindstone and walk the straight-and-narrow path from now on.

Have I posted the new record for longest sentence  on this forum, and used the most cliches, as well???  🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Now, let’s agree to the terms of being a bust. 

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

start off any time you like.

Since the Laquon Treadwell comparison was used as an example id say yall use his career as a guideline. Because you cant say a player is a bust after only 1 year.

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

seems like football would be a far more interesting topic to discuss, at least here. in a football centric forum, of football fans.

Great idea!  But why discuss the traffic violation at all?  You should tell everyone else who is off-topic about it.

6 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

He’s an Uber bust. Outlier.

That's how I would describe guys like Troy Williamson.

Treadwell never lived up to his draft position, but many though he was drafted too high anyway. If he'd been drafted on the third day he'd be seen as a solid pick. He's been good enough to be among the minority of players that remain in the league. Hardly enough to call him an "uber" bust or an "outlier."

47 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

To me, for a first round pick, any player that didn't play well enough for the team to give a second contract to is a bust.  It's not my bet though, so the terms they agree to are up to them.  

But is the bust label on the player? Or on the team? Where’s the tipping point?

Treadwell, for example, is still in the league, getting ready to play his 8th season. From a player’s career standpoint, that’s far from a bust. No, he didn’t live up to his draft slot, but it’s not his fault that he was drafted in the 1st round.

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

On 7/22/2023 at 11:14 AM, vike daddy said:

guarantees come with a statement, usually seen as a penalty, if the guarantor is wrong.

you just spew out dribbles but what are you backing them up with? saying a first round pick will be a bust is a high claim, i'll give you that. so how about if you're wrong, you don't post here for a year?

You mean like this quote from 2018?

or this?

and in regards to the Justin Jefferson pick...

We all have terrible opinions from time to time, but no one should ever guarantee anything when they truly don't know what's going to happen, yet seem to think they do.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

But is the bust label on the player? Or on the team? Where’s the tipping point?

Treadwell, for example, is still in the league, getting ready to play his 8th season. From a player’s career standpoint, that’s far from a bust. No, he didn’t live up to his draft slot, but it’s not his fault that he was drafted in the 1st round.

It isn't the player's fault that a team's evaluation caused them to think the player would be better than he turned out to be. The draft eligible player should do everything he can to convince a team his value is as high as possible.  It is not their fault if a team cannot see through that.  Good for that player.

It is ultimately the team's fault, but it is the player that is the bust. I would put the label on the player.  It is also worth noting how often a GM drafts players that are busts. If some team would draft me in the first round and give me the contract that comes with it, sign me up to be a first round bust.  There isn't that much shame in it.  As you pointed out, a first round bust can still be a productive player in the league for several years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

It isn't the player's fault that a team's evaluation caused them to think the player would be better than he turned out to be. The draft eligible player should do everything he can to convince a team his value is as high as possible.  It is not their fault if a team cannot see through that.  Good for that player.

It is ultimately the team's fault, but it is the player that is the bust. I would put the label on the player.  It is also worth noting how often a GM drafts players that are busts. If some team would draft me in the first round and give me the contract that comes with it, sign me up to be a first round bust.  There isn't that much shame in it.  As you pointed out, a first round bust can still be a productive player in the league for several years.

I suppose it depends upon the definition of "productive."  Treadwell has been on the verge of being out of the league for the last 3 years.  He's been on practice squads for almost all of them.  If it weren't for the change in rules regarding the practice squads, he would have been out of the league after the Vikings let him go after 2019, because he wouldn't have qualified any longer...and once again, he likely won't make the active roster again this year...now in Baltimore, especially with their signings of Agholor and OBJ and the drafting of Flowers. 

He's a camp body now, and for being a 1st rd pick, I can't say he hasn't been a bust since he had to rely on practice squad rule changes to keep him in the league after his rookie deal.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I suppose it depends upon the definition of "productive."  Treadwell has been on the verge of being out of the league for the last 3 years.  He's been on practice squads for almost all of them.  If it weren't for the change in rules regarding the practice squads, he would have been out of the league after the Vikings let him go after 2019, because he wouldn't have qualified any longer...and once again, he likely won't make the active roster again this year...now in Baltimore, especially with their signings of Agholor and OBJ and the drafting of Flowers. 

He's a camp body now, and for being a 1st rd pick, I can't say he hasn't been a bust since he had to rely on practice squad rule changes to keep him in the league after his rookie deal.

That's right.  Treadwell isn't a good example of a player that was a bust as a first round pick that stuck around the league as a productive player.  Big Daddy Wilkinson is a better example of a player that never lived up to his draft status, but was productive in the league for quite a few years.