CB Deonte Banks selected @ 1.24

Acgott

17 minutes ago, Danger said:

Wasn't even the best CB on the board IMO

Joey Porter Jr is way too stiff. He can't be as fluid and versatile as Wink needs his corners to be. 

Great pick. I did not think he'd be here at all, but the board fell super nicely for us once we hit the 20s. We were gonna come away with a top WR or top CB. Banks is an athletic freak, and as evidenced by Wink and Jerome Henderson's reactions after the pick, this one was for them. Super excited for those guys to mold Banks into an NFL corner. 

Once again Joe Schoen proves we finally have an adult in the room running this organization. If this was Gettleman (and Reese) someone would have traded up with Jacksonville and taken Deonte Banks right in front of us. That is not happening to Joe, he clearly all ready had a deal in place with Jacksonville just in case this situation played out as it did.

• Like 1

Liked the pick, if we didnt get a WR, corner was gonna be the next move. Banks is a monster in the making. I just am perplexed though to get rid of 2 draft picks later in this draft to move up 1 place? And this is even while they could still take Porter or Banks?... The 7th aint a loss but a 5th can be. 

38 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

Liked the pick, if we didnt get a WR, corner was gonna be the next move. Banks is a monster in the making. I just am perplexed though to get rid of 2 draft picks later in this draft to move up 1 place? And this is even while they could still take Porter or Banks?... The 7th aint a loss but a 5th can be. 

Take a look at the post I made in the draft thread the other day. The Giants don't have 10 picks to make this year without jettisoning some of the former late round picks they made just last year that they are confident in. Using some of this surplus, late-round ammo in a weak draft to guarantee you get your guy was a very smart move. The Eagles did the same exact thing at 10, btw.

The board fell really nicely for us once we got to 20. The run on WR meant we were definitely going CB. I thought Branch, Joey Porter Jr, and Banks were all options. Branch would be the most "interesting" pick, because it would mean the Giants had a plan for him as a versatile back end defender and I would have been interested in seeing that. Porter Jr I had a feeling was going to fall; he's strictly a press man corner, and as much as Wink loves running man coverage, he is very multiple and fluid in his backend coverages. Porter Jr doesn't fit that all that well. Banks is an athletic freak with good tape who just needs to trust his technique more. We've got the perfect coaching staff to get the best out of him. This was a great pick, even when you factor in the trade. I did not think Banks was going to be available for us and had kind of written him off this past week. Super glad I was wrong.

Some Big Board rankings of Deonte Banks:

Mock Draft Database Consensus Board: 20

Arif Hassan's Pro Football Network Consensus Board: 22

The Athletic- Dane Brugler's 'The Beast': 27

CBS Sports: 10

PFF: 18

Daniel Jeremiah- NFL.com: 24

2 hours ago, Giants4eva said:

And this is even while they could still take Porter or Banks?... The 7th aint a loss but a 5th can be. 

On youtube it was either the Entertainah or Baddog that said Dallas was trying to trade up with Jacksonville for Banks given how Dallas has done this to us before I believe the rumor. 

I am no draft expert but seeing how no one has drafted Porter yet,  Porter and Banks are not equal talents in the eyes of NFL executives.

I'll give a B+ for now 

On tape banks looks like a beast 

I think the last time we took a CB in the first round was eli apple , I think banks will perform better for this team , the reason I gave B+ was the 5th n 7th trade away to move up 1 spot but I understand wanting to secure your guy and thats what they did just wish we had those pieces to play around with in tonight's picks , but this kid whom I call , Money In De-Banks 💰 i def like him better than our eli apple pick from a few years back.

19 minutes ago, GTURBULENTBLUE said:

I'll give a B+ for now 

On tape banks looks like a beast 

I think the last time we took a CB in the first round was eli apple , I think banks will perform better for this team , the reason I gave B+ was the 5th n 7th trade away to move up 1 spot but I understand wanting to secure your guy and thats what they did just wish we had those pieces to play around with in tonight's picks , but this kid whom I call , Money In De-Banks 💰 i def like him better than our eli apple pick from a few years back.

We still have another 5th and two more 7ths. It’s a small cost to make sure we got a perfect fit.