Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Well clearly I would have my top 3 QBs in the draft. Depending on how the process plays out and who signs where a lot could change. So if we are in position to draft one at 6 or move up to 3 (not 1 unless the cost is surprisingly low)depending on the cost that’s an avenue you explore. Macs tried to trade up twice for a QB, so it’s a possibility (yes I know you don’t want to do this, or draft Baker Mayfield) But in any circumstance I’m likely acquiring a QB in the draft. Then there’s the vets like Tyrod or whoever the Jets would likely go after. I’d prefer to just sign a cheap insurance policy and play the rookie. This avenue I would spend just as much as I had to in order to reach the cap floor and get the rookie a line and a weapon or two.

In my eyes that’s better than locking the team into a mega deal for a guy who’s compiled some nice stats in 3 years but hasn’t won many games for whatever reason. Blame it on the Skins and his lack of cast but that’s a fact. But I also don’t think this team is as close to “competing” as a lot of people on here think, so I don’t want to blow all of our cap to make a run with Cousins and Bowles at the helm.

I know you strongly disagree and that’s cool, just my .02

I can respect that, it’s just not how I view what’s best for the team. And that’s ok.

5 minutes ago, Akomplice said:

The one thing I love is that people say why brings Cousins to this team. We have no offensive line, we have no offensive weapons. So we're going to bring in a rookie and he's going to have to deal with all that... Makes zero sense. Hey guys, Le'Veon Bell thinks we're a joke franchise. So cross him off the list... whose next that you're wiling to spend money on?

I never wanted to sign Bell.. don’t know what your ranting about. 

And it’s much easier to build a strong team around a “good” QB on his rookie deal then around a “good” QB making 35m per.. is it not? 

You spend what you need to spend this year to hit the cap floor, get the rookie a weapon, make a run at the top offensive linemen and corners or whoever and fill out the roster as the GM sees fit..it’s not rocket science.

Stop acting like it’s so crazy that someone doesn’t want to hitch their wagon to Cousins. 

22 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I never wanted to sign Bell.. don’t know what your ranting about. 

And it’s much easier to build a strong team around a “good” QB on his rookie deal then around a “good” QB making 35m per.. is it not? 

You spend what you need to spend this year to hit the cap floor, get the rookie a weapon, make a run at the top offensive linemen and corners or whoever and fill out the roster as the GM sees fit..it’s not rocket science.

Stop acting like it’s so crazy that someone doesn’t want to hitch their wagon to Cousins. 

It's not about signing Bell, it's him laughing at the notion of signing with us.

You speak of a "Good" QB, those don't exactly suit up in Jet uniforms. Would you be willing to trade next years first round pick in order to move up and secure whatever QB you want in this draft? Or do we wait and pray that someone falls to us at six? What guys are we expecting to pay this year? Whose extension is going to get done this year? Next year? It's not like we're the Seahawks coming off a superbowl and have to pay the entire defense. We're not the Vikings who have to pay most of their defensive core. We have no players that are going to have holdouts this summer.

So we're going to give out pillow contracts to guys that have no future with this team? That's moronic. How about we actually sign some guys and start establishing a culture. You want Adams to become a leader in a locker room? How about we get guys that start buying into the message and actually build on that instead of paying mercenaries who are just here for the money for one year.

I'm fine with someone not wanting Cousins, perfectly OK. However lets not pretend that signing Cousins all of a sudden means this team can't address other problems we have on this roster. This was the Jets game plan last year, to have the money THIS year for THIS reason.

22 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

What if Jets successfully signed Cousins and Darnold or Rosen was available at 6th? 

giphy.gif Morning, Cardinals and Vikings.

All depends on Cousins' guaranteed money. If he's only guaranteed 2-3yrs of his deal than maybe draft Rosen bc that gives him 2-3yrs to learn and we'd still control him for 2 years after.

I'll add that Rosen is the only guy I'd even think about still drafting at 6 if we signed Cousins. I do think addressing other areas of this team would be the best. Besides getting a good QB one of the biggest benefits of signings Cousins is keeping the 6th pick to get a top talent at another need. As well as keeping 37 (if we perhaps traded up for a drafted QB). I'd really like to see us get an edge and RB with 6 and 37.

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

All depends on Cousins' guaranteed money. If he's only guaranteed 2-3yrs of his deal than maybe draft Rosen bc that gives him 2-3yrs to learn and we'd still control him for 2 years after.

I'll add that Rosen is the only guy I'd even think about still drafting at 6 if we signed Cousins. I do think addressing other areas of this team would be the best. Besides getting a good QB one of the biggest benefits of signings Cousins is keeping the 6th pick to get a top talent at another need. As well as keeping 37 (if we perhaps traded up for a drafted QB). I'd really like to see us get an edge and RB with 6 and 37.

I won't discuss any further on those picks since we have yet to reach FA but do you think it is good idea to have Rosen and Cousins on the same qb depth?  Cousins will have his protege but not for football only, but money strategy.  Crazy.

9 hours ago, JetsandI said:

What if Jets successfully signed Cousins and Darnold or Rosen was available at 6th? 

giphy.gif Morning, Cardinals and Vikings.

I don't see that happening because 3 teams in front of us could take a QB while 2 teams may look to trade out depending on value. BUT let's play the what if game cause that's fun, trade Cousins to a contender. We eat a ton of cap to make it happen while likely reeling in at least a 1st round pick. I'm actually surprised this isn't ever discussed especially because it is kind of what the Browns did this year with Brock. You basically buy a draft pick for eating a ton of money for another team.

This could really only make sense if there was an understanding it could happen. Hypothetical, Bortles is on the last year of his deal and the Jets signed Cousins. Our top choice at QB is there and we want him more than Cousins. We agree to eat all of Cousins 2018 cap hit while accepting the Jags 1st plus whatever else it takes. Then they don't resign Bortles after his contract expires.

Totally a loony situation but it is an interesting topic in regards to buying draft picks.

On 31/01/2018 at 11:51 AM, Bobby816 said:

My bad didn’t know winning a Heisman made you a great NFL player. Let’s go get Tebow. Oh wait we did that already once. Let’s go get Jason White. Oh wait. Let’s go get Matt Leinart. Oh wait. Let’s get Troy smith. Oh wait. Let’s go get RG3. Oh wait. Let’s go get Johnny Manziel. Oh wait.

I think that makes my point.

it actually does not make any point. Because I can turn around and say Deshaun Watson won the Heisman, and we would be lucky to have another Watson. Lamar Jackson won the Heisman, and we'd be lucky to draft him. Carson Wentz did not win a Heisman, but he won something in college football. 

You just listed a bunch of Heisman winners who busted in the NFL. Shall we go through the list of free agent QB busts, then? 

It's all a gamble, man. I just would prefer to gamble on taking a college QB and developing him, molding him into our system with an OC that would be his first in the NFL. Cousins has been through almost as many OC's as Liz Taylor had husbands. I'm not comfortable with that at all.

4 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

it actually does not make any point. Because I can turn around and say Deshaun Watson won the Heisman, and we would be lucky to have another Watson. Lamar Jackson won the Heisman, and we'd be lucky to draft him. Carson Wentz did not win a Heisman, but he won something in college football. 

You just listed a bunch of Heisman winners who busted in the NFL. Shall we go through the list of free agent QB busts, then? 

It's all a gamble, man. I just would prefer to gamble on taking a college QB and developing him, molding him into our system with an OC that would be his first in the NFL. Cousins has been through almost as many OC's as Liz Taylor had husbands. I'm not comfortable with that at all.

Taking Cousins should not stop Jets from developing another qb.   Cousins grew up in the same family in D.C. Then he would continue that with Bates if signed with Jets. Different members but same family.  Bill Musgrave and Ben McAdoo are different story despite they have WCO background.

19 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

And he’s produced with a rotating door of OCs which makes what he’s done the last few years actually even more impressive. I’m sure stability at the OC spot is something he will be looking for in a team in FA. Luckily we now have an OC he’s familiar with. And that’s a big reason why we are “the favorite” to land him.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Taking Cousins should not stop Jets from developing another qb.   Cousins grew up in the same family in D.C. Then he would continue that with Bates if signed with Jets. Different members but same family.  Bill Musgrave and Ben McAdoo are different story despite they have WCO background.

I agree. If we sign Cousins, I would like the Jets to consider someone like Mike White, Luke Falk, and Kyle Lauletta with their 3rd Round Pick. Hopefully we can then go into a cycle where we draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round every other year (especially in deep QB classes).

20 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I agree. If we sign Cousins, I would like the Jets to consider someone like Mike White, Luke Falk, and Kyle Lauletta with their 3rd Round Pick. Hopefully we can then go into a cycle where we draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round every other year (especially in deep QB classes).

3rd is too early IMO. Take a guy in the 5th. We're not an SB ready team like the pats that can spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a backup QB that won't play for years. 

22 hours ago, Akomplice said:

It's not about signing Bell, it's him laughing at the notion of signing with us.

You speak of a "Good" QB, those don't exactly suit up in Jet uniforms. Would you be willing to trade next years first round pick in order to move up and secure whatever QB you want in this draft? Or do we wait and pray that someone falls to us at six? What guys are we expecting to pay this year? Whose extension is going to get done this year? Next year? It's not like we're the Seahawks coming off a superbowl and have to pay the entire defense. We're not the Vikings who have to pay most of their defensive core. We have no players that are going to have holdouts this summer.

So we're going to give out pillow contracts to guys that have no future with this team? That's moronic. How about we actually sign some guys and start establishing a culture. You want Adams to become a leader in a locker room? How about we get guys that start buying into the message and actually build on that instead of paying mercenaries who are just here for the money for one year.

I'm fine with someone not wanting Cousins, perfectly OK. However lets not pretend that signing Cousins all of a sudden means this team can't address other problems we have on this roster. This was the Jets game plan last year, to have the money THIS year for THIS reason.

Pillow contracts? One year mercenaries? I said make a run at the TOP offensive linemen and corners, and fill out the roster with quality free agents. I also absolutely hate the idea of seriously trying to make a run with Cousins and Bowles. That recipe isn’t going to yield success IMO, but I guess we will see.

but the rhetoric now is we can’t attract top free agents without Cousins ?

Archived