68th pick- Hendon Hooker QB Tennessee

Louis Friend

9 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Teddy Bridgewater could still be in the mix

Holmes has said they’ll keep 3 QBs on the roster. I think Bridgewater was in case they didn’t get Hooker. I don’t suspect they’ll use the money to get Bridgewater when they just got a younger QB on a rookie contract. I know people don’t get excited over Sudfeld, but he’s a solid QB that knows our offense now and can both step in if needed and help teach Hooker. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Holmes has said they’ll keep 3 QBs on the roster. I think Bridgewater was in case they didn’t get Hooker. I don’t suspect they’ll use the money to get Bridgewater when they just got a younger QB on a rookie contract. I know people don’t get excited over Sudfeld, but he’s a solid QB that knows our offense now and can both step in if needed and help teach Hooker. 

I agree.  Nate Sudfeld will hold down the #2QB job until Hendon Hooker is healthy enough and has a good enough grasp of the offense to move up the depth chart.

49 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I agree.  Nate Sudfeld will hold down the #2QB job until Hendon Hooker is healthy enough and has a good enough grasp of the offense to move up the depth chart.

For what it's worth (not much since we heard the same thing from Jamo last year) but Hooker and his docs think he'll be ready to go for training camp.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I don't see a situation of 

Goff

Bridgewater

Sudfeld 

Hooker on IR

Martinez on PS 

being unreasonable or unrealistic. We're trying to win the North this year. If we lose Goff for 3 games and Sudfeld is your guy we're likely to be heavily scouting next year's QB class. If he goes out for 6+ games were doing deep dives into Williams and Maye. Bridgewater could help mitigate that while giving Hooker the time to get healthy

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd expect something in the range of $8 - $10M (probably spread out over this year and next to soften the cap hit). You put Hooker on IR/ PUP for a while and then roll with Goff, Bridgewater, Sudfeld until Hooker is healthy enough. Then Nate gets the boot/moved to PS if you want to activate HH as QB3. 

On 5/11/2023 at 10:38 AM, Karnage84 said:

I'd expect something in the range of $8 - $10M (probably spread out over this year and next to soften the cap hit). You put Hooker on IR/ PUP for a while and then roll with Goff, Bridgewater, Sudfeld until Hooker is healthy enough. Then Nate gets the boot/moved to PS if you want to activate HH as QB3. 

I don't want to pay a backup that much tbh.  Even if it is Bridgewater.  And I am not sure it would be that much.  That would make Bridgewater the 18-22 highest paid QB in the league.  The only backups that are making over $5.5M a year are guys who have a legit chance at starting, or did when they signed like Trubisky, Brissett, and Heineke. And even then they all are only at 7-7.5 per year.  Baker Mayfield signed for $4M in Tampa to be the starter and I am guessing that Teddy would be in the 4-6M a year range.  I can deal with 5M, and take the hit this year so we dont have to be impacted in future years for our backup QB.