68th pick- Hendon Hooker QB Tennessee

Louis Friend

16 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I'm still very surprised they did this. He won't be ready to go in week 1, I guarantee it.

Having said that, he's got a great chance to be better than Richardson or Levis. We'll see about him being better than Goff.

But he doesn’t need to. Goff is QB1. They wanted a backup QB who they can sit behind Goff for a year. Hooker is that guy. He has a lot of fine skills but needs some work. What I like about him is that he doesn’t take a lot of risks and is open to learning. I think this is a great situation for both him and the Lions. 

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

I actually really like this pick. Good spot and value for him.  We’ll worth the risk I just was not a fan in the 1st or even 2nd really.  Usually not a fan of taking qb’s in the 2nd/3rd rd as almost a general rule but this really is the perfect situation of talent and flaws to warrant a 3rd rd QB

9 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

But he doesn’t need to. Goff is QB1. They wanted a backup QB who they can sit behind Goff for a year. Hooker is that guy. He has a lot of fine skills but needs some work. What I like about him is that he doesn’t take a lot of risks and is open to learning. I think this is a great situation for both him and the Lions. 

That's all good, but who plays in weeks 1-8 if Goff gets hurt? The Lions needed a backup QB for this year.

I'm on the record as not being a fan, but having said that here is the positive spin from me on why this is a good pick:

Hooker is a mature young man (25) that will fit right in with the culture.

He is an upgrade at backup QB with upside.

His athletic ability will help in as a back up to make up for other deficiencies he might have as he develops.

If Hooker develops and Goff is the guy and we give him the extension we might be able to flip Hooker for more draft capital.  Never bad to be in the QB developing game.

• Like 2