Seattle Mariners Thread

Eagles27

8 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Ok I can’t find it anywhere, but did J-Rod get promoted? He hasn’t played in two days and he posted on Twitter that he was flying from PDX to Florida? Doesn’t make sense lol. 

He's playing in some international tournament. Not sure what it is for. 

1 hour ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Saw something about Olympics, so maybe that I guess.

Think it's time for Kelenic to go back to Tacoma. Dreadful and disheartening.

Meh...

Not really worried about Kelenic. He's not flailing at pitches like White does. He will get things straightened out. 

Just now, Eagles27 said:

Meh...

Not really worried about Kelenic. He's not flailing at pitches like White does. He will get things straightened out. 

Feel like we've said close to the same thing for just about every top prospect we've had over the past 10+ years. Wish one of them would just be good for once, TBH.

36 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Feel like we've said close to the same thing for just about every top prospect we've had over the past 10+ years. Wish one of them would just be good for once, TBH.

Fair point, though I'd argue we've never had a prospect as good as Kelenic in that period. All of our other guys were lower ranked consensus guys, and had at least some cause for concern. Only guy who was ever really in the top 5-ish range was Montero, and that was mostly Yankee hype. 

Even just looking at Kelenic's batted ball numbers, the problem is too many fly balls and not enough line drives. That is likely driving his well below average .130 BABIP. Hard hit rate is lower than we'd like, but not abysmal. I think he just needs to slow down the approach, and look to square more pitches up. 

Seems like a timing/approach issue so far which is fixable. 

4 minutes ago, Eagles27 said:

Fair point, though I'd argue we've never had a prospect as good as Kelenic in that period. All of our other guys were lower ranked consensus guys, and had at least some cause for concern. Only guy who was ever really in the top 5-ish range was Montero, and that was mostly Yankee hype. 

Even just looking at Kelenic's batted ball numbers, the problem is too many fly balls and not enough line drives. That is likely driving his well below average .130 BABIP. Hard hit rate is lower than we'd like, but not abysmal. I think he just needs to slow down the approach, and look to square more pitches up. 

Seems like a timing/approach issue so far which is fixable. 

Pretty sure Ackley and Zunino were up there. Ackley for sure, Zunino I could be wrong.

And I get it, I looked at the same numbers you did and came away with the same conclusion, but I'm just sick of saying it. The Mariners and me just need a break. I need one player that's supposed to be a star start to show it. I will not follow another 10 years of this.

Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto told 710 ESPN in Seattle on Thursday that he is "hopeful" Kyle Lewis (knee) will be able to return at some point this season.

So Lewis has knee issues again. Not looking good as an everyday guy going forward. 

Need Kelenic to pick things up a lot quicker. This maybe also changes the plan for Haniger long-term. 

5 hours ago, Eagles27 said:

So Lewis has knee issues again. Not looking good as an everyday guy going forward. 

Need Kelenic to pick things up a lot quicker. This maybe also changes the plan for Haniger long-term. 

Luckily we have Fraley. He's impressed every time I see him.