​πŸ”₯​ Pick #203 is in: Amari Burney, LB, Florida

RaidersAreOne

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
  • Combines very good instincts with above-average reaction skills. Almost always finds the ball in traffic.
  • Burney has value as an inside blitzer as well, showing the initial burst to shoot through gaps and disrupt the backfield.
  • An undersized but explosive athlete, Is a sideline-to-sideline playmaker. He’s a fluid mover who reads, reacts and accelerates quickly.
  • Shows toughness to get under the pads of tackles to bull them, club them upfield to get the inside lane, or fight through blocks for secondary rush when the passer steps up.
  • Burney has good quickness and an excellent understanding of angles, often beating blockers to the spot.
  • Ferocious against the run and very good in coverage, is extremely versatile
Β 
Β 
SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
  • Burney is on the small side and struggles to slip blocks; he’ll need to be covered up in order to make plays.
  • Lacks the strength to blow up fullbacks and bulk/length to prevent getting engulfed by better linemen at the second level.
  • Often leaves more plays on the field than he makes.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/florida-gators-amari-burney-selected-las-vegas-raiders-nfl-draft

Β 

Better late than never was the feel aroundΒ Amari Burney's rise in 2022 and it has helped him to realize the dream of having the chance to play NFL football.Β 

The former hybrid defender at the University of Florida was selected No. 203 overall by the Las Vegas Raiders.

Burney's stock trended up throughout his final season in Gainesville, though he was not ultimately invited to the NFL Combine earlier in the year. At Florida's Pro Day showcase, though, Burney reinforced some of the traits that helped himΒ break outΒ in the fall.Β 

Standing 1/8-inch under 6-foot-2 and 230 pounds, Burney produced a Relative Athletic Score of 9.19 out of 10 at Florida's Pro Day, the 11th-best mark out of the 240 linebackers to partake in athletic testing drills this offseason according toΒ RAS.football's tracking.

He posted elite marks of 4.51 seconds in the 40-yard dash β€” with a 1.62 10-yard split and a 2.57-second 20-yard split β€” and seven seconds in the three-cone drill. His 33-inch vertical and 10-foot broad are also considered above-average-to-good outcomes for a second-level defender.Β 

"I just had to be patient. I'd been working and just, to go out there and do what I knew I could do was a great feeling," Burney toldΒ All Gators. "I got great feedback from [scouts]. A lot of them were just shocked that I didn't get a Combine invite, that my 40 time was great for a linebacker my size. Broad jump, vert, bench too."Β 

As a 'super' senior in 2022, thanks to the extra year of eligibility the pandemic created throughout college sports, Burney accumulated single-season career highs in several statistical categories, with four sacks, nine tackles for loss, two interceptions, four pass breakups and two forced fumbles. His 79 total tackles were also a personal record.

Β "I'm gonna put my best foot forward to stay on the team and make my mark in the league," he said.Β 

Entering UF atΒ 6-foot-1, 215 pounds out of Clearwater, Fla., Burney moved throughout the back-seven during his time in Gainesville between safety and several different linebacker roles between two coaching staffs he played under. Overall, he logged more than 2,500 snaps in orange and blue.Β 

BurneyΒ is Florida's sixth prospect selected in the 2023 NFL Draft, following:Β 

Β 

Β 

8 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Β 

Those stats are pretty decent. TFLs/sacks and plays on the ball. Fast and explosive testing numbers.

Seems like he only put it together this year after being highly required as a safety.

Never heard of him - so no idea what to expect