> 2024 NFL Draft Prospects <

Kiltman

I think that Verse is more likely to succeed in the NFL just because he is so powerful. He will be able to move people in the NFL with speed to power and it is a lot easier for guys like that to find base level of success imo. I love how refined Latu is as a pass rusher though and I do think his bend could put him in a category of DE that Verse is simply unable to become if he does put it all together.

21 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Verse vs Latu.

Who do you guys think has the better career?

Verse.  He just ragdolls OT's.  Latu is craftier and more agile, but Verse ability to convert speed to power is impressive.  Arguably this might come down to scheme.  Verse is definitely better with his hand in the dirt and Latu is better working from a 2 point stance.

Reading the discussion on the last 2 or 3 pages my thoughts-

Cooper is severely overrated. All athlete. 0 LB skills. Very system dependent. Absolutely must be kept clean. Completely undeveloped/untested in coverage despite the rumor that he is a great coverage LB. Peyton Wilson is the best LB in this draft by miles but I understand the reservations over his injury history. Colson is more athletic than people give him credit for. He looks like a thumper, but he can move too. He is underrated as people have mislabeled him. The LB slept on majorly is Jaylan Ford.

Yes, I have heard of Stiggers but have no idea where to slot in a CFL CB in to the draft. Next Delvin Breaux? That would be seaux cool.

CB thoughts- Im afraid of how much Arnold is a product of college teams knowing McKinstry is better and avoiding throwing at McKinstry. Yes, theyd prefer to throw at Arnold. Yes he held up well and ended up becoming a household name. But, think about that. They way that happened should speak volumes about McKinstry. Very hesitant to agree with the recent consensus that Arnold, a not very big, 4.50 CB is the best in the draft.

I have long been of the opinion that Wiggins, DeJean, and McKinstry are the best fits for us. I get the reservations about Wiggins tackling ability. I want people to recognize that he is a willing tackler and tries to play physically. Hes not soft and avoiding contact. Im not sure that helps, but conceivably in the long run he can add a little weight/strength and be a well rounded player.

My top want is DeJean and I would feel ok about trading up ahead of Pittsburgh for him because I think they may take him. Hes like another Fitzpatrick for them. Very steelers type of player. I dont see anyone on the trade up for DeJean train with me but thats ok. It only requires a small move, and Im all in for that price, ensuring we get him. 

58 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

He is underrated as people have mislabeled him.

No he isn't. Colson has 5 pass deflections over his career. Zero Int's. 6 TFL. Zero fumbles forced. Can't shed blocks. He's not a good LB prospect. He's your average 2 down LB. Also bugs me that he always has more tackle assists than solo tackles. Better athlete than people give credit for? Maybe, but not a better football player than he's been labeled. He's worse, since I see him get mocked in the 3rd and sometimes the 2nd.

I don't really care about Wilson's injury history as much as his T-rex arms. He's going to really struggle to get off blocks (already does at the NCAA level). He'll basically be a taller Mychal Kendricks- and sadly that's as good as it get's with this particular LB class.

Edited by Jeezla

11 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Reading the discussion on the last 2 or 3 pages my thoughts-

Cooper is severely overrated. All athlete. 0 LB skills. Very system dependent. Absolutely must be kept clean. Completely undeveloped/untested in coverage despite the rumor that he is a great coverage LB. Peyton Wilson is the best LB in this draft by miles but I understand the reservations over his injury history. Colson is more athletic than people give him credit for. He looks like a thumper, but he can move too. He is underrated as people have mislabeled him. The LB slept on majorly is Jaylan Ford.

Yes, I have heard of Stiggers but have no idea where to slot in a CFL CB in to the draft. Next Delvin Breaux? That would be seaux cool.

CB thoughts- Im afraid of how much Arnold is a product of college teams knowing McKinstry is better and avoiding throwing at McKinstry. Yes, theyd prefer to throw at Arnold. Yes he held up well and ended up becoming a household name. But, think about that. They way that happened should speak volumes about McKinstry. Very hesitant to agree with the recent consensus that Arnold, a not very big, 4.50 CB is the best in the draft.

I have long been of the opinion that Wiggins, DeJean, and McKinstry are the best fits for us. I get the reservations about Wiggins tackling ability. I want people to recognize that he is a willing tackler and tries to play physically. Hes not soft and avoiding contact. Im not sure that helps, but conceivably in the long run he can add a little weight/strength and be a well rounded player.

My top want is DeJean and I would feel ok about trading up ahead of Pittsburgh for him because I think they may take him. Hes like another Fitzpatrick for them. Very steelers type of player. I dont see anyone on the trade up for DeJean train with me but thats ok. It only requires a small move, and Im all in for that price, ensuring we get him. 

I've made the argument that he's the best CB in the draft.  The fact that he has the upside to play at an all-pro level at multiple positions of which the Eagles also just happen to need at each of those positions is a bonus.  You just take a guy like that and don't think about.  Figure out the rest after.  Obviously getting him at 22 is better than 19, but imo he has no business being available at 19 in the 1st place.

10 hours ago, Jeezla said:

No he isn't. Colson has 5 pass deflections over his career. Zero Int's. 6 TFL. Zero fumbles forced. Can't shed blocks. He's not a good LB prospect. He's your average 2 down LB. Also bugs me that he always has more tackle assists than solo tackles. Better athlete than people give credit for? Maybe, but not a better football player than he's been labeled. He's worse, since I see him get mocked in the 3rd and sometimes the 2nd.

I don't really care about Wilson's injury history as much as his T-rex arms. He's going to really struggle to get off blocks (already does at the NCAA level). He'll basically be a taller Mychal Kendricks- and sadly that's as good as it get's with this particular LB class.

Yep I'm not aboard the Colson train at all.  This is a year Howie would be perfectly justified not wasting a high pick on a LB and addressing other needs like CB, OL, and EDGE before worrying about that position.  And if Cooper and MAYBE Wilson are not there when they're up in the 2nd I think they will 💯 wait.  I'm not even 💯 convinced they take either of those guys at 50 and 53 in the 1st place if someone else high on their list falls.  Someone like Chop Robinson comes to mind.  He's someone that some have had getting taken in the 1st round and other have him sliding into the middle of the 2nd Rd.

10 hours ago, Jeezla said:

It might get better. Marist Liufau has all the measurables. He just needs a little refinement. I think the guy is a beast. 

And again, Jaylan Ford is slept on big time.

On Colson, Im just saying hes got more speed than he is credited for. I dont know that hell be a great coverage player. 

With a lot of these guys you have to look at the way theyre used and try to determine if they just arent asked to do things, or if they cant do things. Colson might have a little more range in zone coverage and make plays there even if hes not a man coverage guy. He doesnt just have to play down hill on every play but thats basically his job at Michigan. 

Edited by HazletonEagle

For an interesting devils advocate take, Dane Brugler and Nate Tice both have Colson as LB1, and say he has no weakness.

Some other decent prospect talk on here too. I enjoyed the part about Andru Phillips who the eagles had in for a 30 visit and just doesnt excite me. 

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

next question- How do you explain teams choosing to throw his way and avoid McKinstry?

And yet, Terrion Arnold still allowed a lower passer rating when targeted than McKinstry

13 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

McKinstry is the same size as Terrion. McKinstry ran a 4.52 and is 199 instead of Arnold's 189. Their size and speed aren't differentiable. Arnold is more fluid and laterally agile though.

Quinyon is easily CB1. I can see the argument for Wiggins, but his frame and health are both... orange flags.

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

McKinstry is the same size as Terrion. McKinstry ran a 4.52 and is 199 instead of Arnold's 189. Their size and speed aren't differentiable. Arnold is more fluid and laterally agile though.

Quinyon is easily CB1. I can see the argument for Wiggins, but his frame and health are both... orange flags.

Youre talking about very superficial things and buying the consensus parroted statements rather than digging in yourself.

McKinstry ran that time coming off a broken foot, jones fracture.

Arnold is more fluid, yes. But McKinstry is pretty surely faster, and has better arm length. McKinstry is the guy who teams avoided which allowed Arnold to make plays.

Good comparison I saw was 2021 packers when Jaire Alexander was elite and teams threw at Rasul Douglas who kept making plays. Obviously the elite CB there was Jaire, but Rasul got the opportunities and played well. Jaire shut his side of the field down but had no opportunities for the flashy plays.

McKinstry is suffering from over analysis. Hes the Joey Porter of this year's class. No ball production because teams just avoided him. Hes a lengthy, physical shut down corner. 

When you talk about the completion percentage allowed, its again superficial and lacking analysis. Kool-Aid got to deal with a bunch of crossing routes coming his way, or screens to his side.... thing that were designed to get WRs the ball quick, or in space rather than actually having to beat McKinstry 1 on 1. Because, again, teams avoided having to try to do that. Youre just not going to make a lot of PDs and force a low completion rate on those typse of routes.

This isnt something crazy.

“Kool-Aid (McKinstry) is more reliable and consistent than Arnold, but I think Arnold has more pure cover talent.” - NFC regional scout

The actual scouts are seeing the full picture here. Anyone who wants to throw out platitudes like "Arnold is better than McKinstry. Next Question" is just buying the superficial stuff from draft twitter rather than putting some thought in to it.

This is how we have so many people looking foolish raving about how incredible Edgerrin Cooper is. Couple little twitter clips showing his athleticism and he skyrockets from unknown by most people to the consensus LB1. Guy has 0 LB skills. Its hilarious.

Edited by HazletonEagle