2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

11 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Would him throwing for 400 yards but losing the NC be more impressive to you? 

he did what he had to do to win. 
very qb friendly system no doubt, but not turning the ball over was essentially his job. 
take the check down/ throw away over the risky throw and live another day. 

on that team, that motto worked. It would’ve been dumb for him to go away from that to prove he can throw for 400 yards. 

You gotta be able to see players for what they can be. 
just because he didn’t doesn’t mean he can’t. 

some people cannot evaluate without seeing the stats though, which I get, but ultimately that’s a flaw in their scouting not the qb. 

If he had multiple 400 yard games he would be far out of reach for us though.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Would him throwing for 400 yards but losing the NC be more impressive to you? 

he did what he had to do to win. 
very qb friendly system no doubt, but not turning the ball over was essentially his job. 
take the check down/ throw away over the risky throw and live another day. 

on that team, that motto worked. It would’ve been dumb for him to go away from that to prove he can throw for 400 yards. 

You gotta be able to see players for what they can be. 
just because he didn’t doesn’t mean he can’t. 

some people cannot evaluate without seeing the stats though, which I get, but ultimately that’s a flaw in their scouting not the qb. 

Naw some people can’t evaluate him without seeing him throw. He barely throws the ball. In some cases like vs Penn st or Maryland it’s almost questionable why they don’t let him throw. His leading wr just does cardio most games. Imo his best game was vs bama even that was iffy including first play of the game. What happens when he has to shoot it out can he sling it or will he turn into Alex smith. He hasn’t shown that imo

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

Don’t think so, but, if put in an air raid system just to pump stats and not play to their strengths I’m positive they could have! 

The winning argument reminds me of how some were pimping jimmy g. Eventually the defense won’t bail you out and you’ll have to carry. We all know how that worked for Jimmy. Can jj carry is the million dollar question

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

The winning argument reminds me of how some were pimping jimmy g. Eventually the defense won’t bail you out and you’ll have to carry. We all know how that worked for Jimmy. Can jj carry is the million dollar question

definitely, Im not drafting because he won the NC. . . but at the same time, Im not not drafting him because he wasnt asked to throw more. 

He is a tough prospect to scout no doubt. . . he wasnt asked to do a ton. Similar to Jacobs in college. 

He has shown mobility, arms strength and accuracy, but not in bulk. 
Do you believe in your QB coaching room? 
I believe he is raw, but has the fundamentals to work with. 

My point is just, holding him at fault for not taking over games, when they went undefeated is weak IMO. 
Him trying to take over a game when the run game is dominate would be more of a red flag to me. 

4 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

I get wanting to see it, but, on a perfect season, cant hold it against him. IMO

Yea you don't hold it against him but are you gonna draft the guy in the top 15 that's never done it? That's my problem.

30 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yea you don't hold it against him but are you gonna draft the guy in the top 15 that's never done it? That's my problem.

If he is there at 13 I would if the other 3 are gone. 
Id listen to trade offers though and see who else is on the board. 
Im not running to select him at 13 myself, but, I 100% would understand it. 

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

definitely, Im not drafting because he won the NC. . . but at the same time, Im not not drafting him because he wasnt asked to throw more. 

He is a tough prospect to scout no doubt. . . he wasnt asked to do a ton. Similar to Jacobs in college. 

He has shown mobility, arms strength and accuracy, but not in bulk. 
Do you believe in your QB coaching room? 
I believe he is raw, but has the fundamentals to work with. 

My point is just, holding him at fault for not taking over games, when they went undefeated is weak IMO. 
Him trying to take over a game when the run game is dominate would be more of a red flag to me. 

I understand but it would be nice to see him carry the team.

Maybe his mentality is don’t take risks don’t make mistakes and give your run game and defense a chance to win it for you when faced with adversity. It’s easy to have a high completion % and low ints when you don’t target wrs regularly. Nfl is different they will take things away and make him win by throwing. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

My thing is McCarthy could be good I'm not saying he can't be but what would make me nervous is the fact that he didn't really throw the football so you don't really know what you're getting other than traits.

Such a lazy take. He did throw the football. Analyze the throws he made. They were all NFL caliber plays. Play extension, throwing on the run, throwing with anticipation, perfect ball placement, etc. Watch the tape..

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

We're talking about the character stuff that happened when he was 17 all the way until he got benched by Riley right? Because I know we're not talking about his actual play. 

We are talking about both. I’ve seen enough Spencer Rattler meltdowns. He’s just too hot and cold for me and he seems to get rattled easily on the field. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I get that but I think the same can be said about all of the quarterback prospects. Hes just younger so we have more time to sit which I understand also. Here's my thing though, are you really trying to get that guy at 13 and potentially the top 10(meaning you would have to move up). Because I guarantee you in the pre-draft process he's going to move up draft boards because he didn't go to the senior bowl.

My thing is McCarthy could be good I'm not saying he can't be but what would make me nervous is the fact that he didn't really throw the football so you don't really know what you're getting other than traits.

It would be like if the guy from Tennessee was on a winning program and won the national championship. It would be that he has trades but they didn't really throw the ball so we don't really know how good of a quarterback that guy is. 

Ultimately he wouldn't be getting the attention that he's getting if Michigan didn't win the championship. Because the reality is the guy completed eight passes in that game. 

But it wouldn’t be. Milton has been on multiple programs and had a lot more time to shine than JJ and still didn’t. Hell, he even got bounced out of Michigan where JJ held it down. They aren’t even close as prospects. Milton is awful. Comparing the two just doesn’t work out. 

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I understand but it would be nice to see him carry the team.

Maybe his mentality is don’t take risks don’t make mistakes and give your run game and defense a chance to win it for you when faced with adversity. It’s easy to have a high completion % and low ints when you don’t target wrs regularly. Nfl is different they will take things away and make him win by throwing. 

I am ready for a QB who can scramble for first downs when needed. 
If he came across as afraid to take risks, and just ride the D in interviews Id be nervous. 
Calculated risks. At Michigan, its smart to let the D and Run game take over. 

Agreed, hell need to level up in the NFL. especially if he ends up on a lesser team. 

But he does have the tools, Im hesistant to trust our QB coaches to develop any young QB, but I think he would rely on it the most. 

On 2/18/2024 at 11:21 PM, Tank4Drake said:

I'm willing to listen to your absolute in-depth analysis how McCarthy is a game-manager. This should be gold...

Newsflash, he's not. You, as a Michigan fan, should know better.

when did i ever (!!!) give an opinion on Mccarthy?  never did.  classic you getting emotionally rattled and making things up.  (kinda ironic you of all people pretend to be a sports psychologist every year.-) you’ve done this thing for years where anyone who objects to something you said (no matter how small the objection is) you put words in their mouth.  

you want my short opinion of McCarthy?

he’s 20 years old and has the potential to be a worthy top 10/13 pick.  but he shouldn’t play year 1, and that significantly lowers his value.  he’s also got a moderate chance to bust. 

AND no one knows how it’ll all turn out… one way or another.   anyone saying one way or the other is pointing out things that help their cause while ignoring the things that hurt it.

And drafting JJ early in round 1 is a total crapshoot Mainly because the team hes drafted to, like with most QBs, will significantly influence his success chances.

personally i think JJ is too much risk for us and will take too long to develop for us…. i’d much rather trade up into the top 3 and get Maye or Daniels, preferably Maye.

7 hours ago, FloydFan said:

We are talking about both. I’ve seen enough Spencer Rattler meltdowns. He’s just too hot and cold for me and he seems to get rattled easily on the field. 

8/17 for 148 yds and no tds(McCarthy in the national championship) is pretty cold to me