2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Draft is all about preference and projection. I think the Daniels hype has gone a little off the rails, he’s a good prospect but I don’t think he’s on the same tier as Williams and Maye. And I could see why a lot of teams might project McCarthy’s upside as higher.

He’s three years younger, has a better NFL frame, played in a pro style system and doesn’t have a reckless playing style like Daniels. 

Thats probably my biggest concern with him, even if he does pan out, how long can he sustain it? Mobile QBs historically decline much faster than pocket passers. And he’s extremely reckless with his running style and is super thin. 

McCarthy >>Daniels. 

• Like 1

Trades

#13 / #77 / 2025 2nd to LAC for #5

#44 to BUF for #60 / #99 / #143

Draft

5. Jayden Daniels | QB | LSU

60. Ruke Orhorhoro | DL | Clemson

99. Caelen Carson | CB | Wake Forest

113. Blake Fisher | OT | Notre Dame

143. Cedric Gray | LB | North Carolina

147. Sataoa Laumea | OG | Utah

210. Isaac Guerendo | RB | Louisville

221. Khristian Boyd | DL | Northern Iowa

225. Tahj Washington | WR | USC

227. Zion Tupuola-Fetui | Edge | Washington

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why?

I should clarify, I'm saying McCarthy projects better as a pro.

Daniels production was largely propped up in Kelly's "spread and shred" QB friendly scheme with two of the top WR prospects who win deep consistently. Daniels rarely made it past his first read or didn't need to. 62% of his passes were to wide open targets. That's absurd and speaks to the wR talent at LSU. 

When he didn't have something open, his eyes dropped and he looked to run immediately. You don't see him looking down field much. He's good, not great passing on the run. Ball flutters when off structure trying to make throws. He's rail thin and reckless as a runner. He is elusive and that is a plus to his game if he can avoid contact, which he seems reluctant to do. 

Bottom line, I don't see a guy who is going to win from the pocket with processing and decision making. And I think injury risk is going to be sky high with him. 

I think he has potential to be a really good QB in the right system. But worry about his ability to stay healthy and eventually win from the pocket.  Wouldn't hate if he became the QB of the Raiders, just not my first or second choice. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Draft

5. Jayden Daniels | QB | LSU

You see him falling to 5? Who goes 1-4?

Also, Chargers going to give up 5 and let the Raiders take a franchise QB they have to deal with? Seems like a stretch on their end. 

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Also, Chargers going to give up 5 and let the Raiders take a franchise QB they have to deal with? Seems like a stretch on their end. 

while I def agree and dont see a trade with the chargers on the table... if they have a very low grade on Daniels and think he screams bust, maybe they would be willing to trade with us?

40 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Daniels isnt falling to 5 unless he gets hurt at his pro day 

44 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Williams, Maye, McCarthy, MHJ

With an additional pick this year and our 1st/2nd next year, possibly. They can still add a top OT or WR at 13

Just now, NYRaider said:

There have been reports that some teams prefer JJ to Daniels

Yeah but we also saw last year that there were reports that some teams preferred Levis to Stroud. We saw how that turned out 

7 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yeah but we also saw last year that there were reports that some teams preferred Levis to Stroud. We saw how that turned out 

I don't recall those reports and we've seen prospects leap frog guys during the pre-draft process in the past. After the 2021 season everyone viewed Fields as QB 1B and he ended up going 4th behind Wilson and Lance.

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Williams, Maye, McCarthy, MHJ

With an additional pick this year and our 1st/2nd next year, possibly. They can still add a top OT or WR at 13

This would be amazing but its more in the pipe dream realm. Too many things would have to happen. And it assumes that another team like the giants or the the vikings or the broncos dont trade up to 4 for qb. Then we'd be stuck looking dumb with no one.