2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

The Ravens, Niners multiple times. Seahawks, amd Eagles multiple times have undergone entire rebuilds having massive holes to fill within the last decade or so. They got to where they could do things like taking kickers in the 3rd round with a glut of extra picks by having GMs and scouting departments (which I just know will get BP's goad because OBVIOUSLY the GM sits down with a self-made list of players and is the only voice in the room making the selection with absolutelyzero inkut from anyone else just like in Madden) that were incredibly good at their jobs, savvy with trades, and really good talent evaluators. 

Thise teams weren't born with extra picks nor did they just wake up as dominant franchises one day able to just stack BPA selections on an annual basis. 

John Schneider in Seattle spent years with teams that didn't get fleeced on trades and consistently made good picks. Seattle's run over the last decade has been pretty stellar as a result. Basically reshaped the Seahawks with Pete Carroll. 

John Lynch in San Francisco is a bit harder to gauge given he's basically just successful Mike Mayock. That said, the way SF has found gem after gem in mid rounds is impressive. Without those, it's doubtful he withstood the Trey Lance debacle. Total rebuild upon arrival. 

Eric DeCosta learned under Ozzie Newsome who was one of the best NFL executives of our lifetimes. Hard to remember very many bad Ravens drafts and they've been one of the winningest franchises of the last 20 or so years. Hard to recall many bad trades, either. 

Howie Roseman in Philadelphia is bonkers great at what he does. The Eagles don't get fleeced on trades, they draft exceptionally well, the don't get sentimental about players and will move on in a heartbeat (usually fleecing someone else in the process), and he amd his staff are basically wizards when it comes to talent evaluation. 

Pinpointing good GM candidates really isn't difficult. Do they draft well? Did they draft well when their role in a different capacity (regardless of what the ill-informed copiate addicts say)? Did they get fleeced by trades as GMs, DPP's, etc? Did the regimes they come from have a history of being on the wrong side of deals? 

Armed with the answers to those questions, you can do a pretty good job reviewing resumes. The hard ones are the Mayocks and Lynches who had absolutely no track record at all. I know bringing up track records is suuuuper taboo and a sensitive subject in these parts, but they're especially good looks into what/how guys learned about the NFL FO side of things. You don't see many guys getting poached from the lower ranks of bad franchises for a reason. 

I got 2 quotes and 1 mentioning from you - I read all those messages, but I will only answer to that one - I hope that I can cover all with that one:

I started watching american football around 5 years ago, so I don't know that much of players, coaches, GMs that have been before. Here and there I know some guys from films (all or nothing), highlight reels etc.
Let's say the first season I really actively watched was the rookie season of JJ, Maxx, Hunter etc.

before that I was more a soccer guy.

And from my hometown soccer club I have experienced following things, which I think are pretty similar to how it is handled in an football franchise:

The GM, although he is responsible for signings and in football for the draft, is not the one who makes the decisions alone. A GM who has a good relationship to his HC, will always ask the HC what kind of guys he needs to be successful, even though he may think differently.
Well in Football the rosters are much bigger than in soccer, so I would say GMs at least will do that kind of coordination when it comes to first round picks and major free agency signings, rather than every guy from first round pick to UDFA.

Mayock confirmed that one to a certain point, in this podcast with Chris Long, when he talked about, his discussions with Gruden about Cle and later when it comes to Renfrow, and he quoted Gruden who said something like "And you really think he can help us?" (or sth. like that) after the first trainings where he didn't showed any promises.

So that's why I question myself, how do I evaluate  a GMs if I don't know how involved the HCs are in those decisions. Both when it comes to long-time HC-GM combos and "newly-weds".

Same goes on for guys in the front-office like Champ Kelly. What was his part of drafting Trubisky for example?
And what role played GM Ryan Pace, HC John Fox, OC Dowell Loggains or QB Coach Dave Ragone?

Regardless of that, I can understand your approach, that the whole front-office and coaches had to come to an agreement who they pick at the end of the day, and all have to commit to that decision.
Which still doesn't mean, that every of those guys who sat in the draft room were on the same page. That's the business and unless you are self-employed you probably have experienced such decisions by yourself aswell, that you were not the same opinion as your boss or your co-workers, but you had to commit to it, because the decision was made to do that.

So I'd still say, I don't know if Champ Kelly is a good GM but neither can you. You think he is not, for various reasons. And that's fine with me. I'm not an advocate for Champ Kelly. I think there is a high chance he gets the full time job, since Mark apperently liked him before he signed JMD & DZ.

I will try to give him or whoever will be the GMotF the same treatment like everybody gets from me:

I judge you by your actual actions now and not your actions in the past.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Really? Even with the Manning there?

Yes.

16 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Makes sense. He's a top 10 pick or higher if he can stay healthy and put it together. 

A little surprised though with Manning behind him.

Sounds like the plan is for Manning to sit one more year as Texas adjusts to the SEC and then take over as a third year sophomore. 

13 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I heard Ewers might transfer if he goes back to college. I think he goes back to school to improve his stock. 

• S Sanders already confirmed to go back to school 
  • I think Cam Ward goes back to school 
  • Riley Leonard will prolly go back to school too. Both Ward, and Leonard are a little raw. could be top 10 picks in 2025 
  • Carson Beck probably goes back to college too 

Ewers isn't going to transfer, lol, dude is starting at Texas again next year. 

Sanders, Ward, and Leonard all suck so they should go back to school.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Ewers isn't going to transfer, lol, dude is starting at Texas again next year. 

Sanders, Ward, and Leonard all suck so they should go back to school.

I think we should just tell Manning to transfer to UNLV and avoid playing and promise to draft him round 1 without him ever taking a snap regardless. In fact, I'd just start finding toddlers born to superstar athletes and signing deals to make them 1st rounders straight out the womb despite never playing football. I mean, who looks at track records anymore? It's not about what someone has done that you base decisions on, it's what they may do in the future and if they're likeable, and most toddlers have an infectious smile. 🤷🏼‍♂️

54 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I think we should just tell Manning to transfer to UNLV and avoid playing and promise to draft him round 1 without him ever taking a snap regardless. In fact, I'd just start finding toddlers born to superstar athletes and signing deals to make them 1st rounders straight out the womb despite never playing football. I mean, who looks at track records anymore? It's not about what someone has done that you base decisions on, it's what they may do in the future and if they're likeable, and most toddlers have an infectious smile. 🤷🏼‍♂️

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e477fgcxi6kazg5rnoqvi

Hey.... you got time to be passive aggressive in this thread, but leaving your buddy Palooka on read in the other thread? Surely you didn't try to deflect all day yesterday and think it would all go away did you? I'm still waiting.

46 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e477fgcxi6kazg5rnoqvi

Hey.... you got time to be passive aggressive in this thread, but leaving your buddy Palooka on read in the other thread? Surely you didn't try to deflect all day yesterday and think it would all go away did you? I'm still waiting.

So am I. Go back and find the numerous questions asked of you that you dodged and ducked over the last year+. Until then, again, your opinion and musings are irrelevant to me. I'm not going to do your homework for you, kiddo. 

Edited by ronjon1990

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

So am I. Go back and find the numerous questions asked of you that you dodged and ducked over the last year+. Until then, again, your opinion and musings are irrelevant to me. I'm not going to do your homework for you, kiddo. 

Classic @ronjon1990.... called out, then say "I'm not going to do your homework for you".  How many arguments have we heard that from you now? Son, you didn't show up to class to get the assignment. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47iaaf6bi2pgkr7utazy 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Classic @ronjon1990.... called out, then say "I'm not going to do your homework for you".  How many arguments have we heard that from you now? Son, you didn't show up to class to get the assignment. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47iaaf6bi2pgkr7utazy 

Still waiting booboo. 

My criteria was quite simple: Nut the f up and actually answer the questions posed to you that you've ducked and dodged like a little McDaniels troll you've been over the last 18 months or get lost. 

But, hey, classic @big_palooka....can't reaearch anything to back up his statements. Gotta have someone else do his thinking and work for him. Does someone still pick out your clothes and wipe your bum, too? Daddy Dearest is unemployed now, so probably. 

The day you grow a pair and actually answer, you'll get your answer. Simple as that. Again, I'm not doing the work for you. 

Edited by ronjon1990

Still waiting booboo. 

My criteria was quite simple: Nut the f up and actually answer the questions posed to you that you've ducked and dodged like a little McDaniels troll you've been over the last 18 months or get lost. 

But, hey, classic @big_palooka....can't reaearch anything to back up his statements. Gotta have someone else do his thinking and work for him. Does someone still pick out your clothes and wipe your bum, too? Daddy Dearest is unemployed now, so probably. 

The day you grow a pair and actually answer, you'll get your answer. Simple as that. Again, I'm not doing the work for you. 

Again.... what's the question, I'll answer it right now.

Post it or shut your mouth. Stop deflecting..... 

21 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Again.... what's the question, I'll answer it right now.

Post it or shut your mouth. Stop deflecting..... 

Go find them. It's not difficult and I'm not doing all of the heavy lifting for you. Grow a pair and learn some basic research skills or stop quoting me like a simp troll. It's been posted, moron. Numerous times. 

Or keep deflecting and expecting everyone to do everything for you. But I'll just keep busting your clearly nonexistent balls and every other fanboy thing you say. 

Edited by ronjon1990

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

Go find them. It's not difficult and I'm not doing all of the heavy lifting for you. Grow a pair and learn some basic research skills or stop quoting me like a simp troll. 

Or keep deflecting and expecting everyone to do everything for you. 

If you're so damn sure of your self post it. Otherwise, shut up.

There is nothing to find that hasn't been answer. But you already know that. You're fragile ego just can't admit that being a part of a FO is not the same as drafting actual players. 

Either post it or move on. Grown ups are trying to have a conversation. 

Just now, big_palooka said:

If you're so damn sure of your self post it. Otherwise, shut up.

There is nothing to find that hasn't been answer. But you already know that. You're fragile ego just can't admit that being a part of a FO is not the same as drafting actual players. 

Either post it or move on. Grown ups are trying to have a conversation. 

Oooh internet tough guy.  I'm shaking in my boots. 

Like I said, the questions are out there and simple to find. Stop being a little ***** and go find them yourself. I'm not asking them all over again because you're too much of a simp or simply not intelligent enough to answer them the first 50 times. 

My stance was clear: answer my questions and you'll get the answers to yours- not that you can read or comprehend them.

Until then, again, you're opinion is entirely irrelevant to me as you've proven not only gullible but pathetically ill-informed. I'd say it's been a pleasure with you, but it honestly hasn't. 

Oooh internet tough guy.  I'm shaking in my boots. 

Like I said, the questions are out there and simple to find. Stop being a little ***** and go find them yourself. I'm not asking them all over again because you're too much of a simp or simply not intelligent enough to answer them the first 50 times. 

My stance was clear: answer my questions and you'll get the answers to yours- not that you can read or comprehend them.

Until then, again, you're opinion is entirely irrelevant to me as you've proven not only gullible but pathetically ill-informed. I'd say it's been a pleasure with you, but it honestly hasn't. 

You are just boring me at this point. I couldn't care less about your answer. Your bias opinions are meaningless.

I just called you out because I know you can't backup anything you claim, ever. Same tactics anytime someone calls you out. 

Go find them yourself? There are 10,000 posts on this regime. I'm not into wild goose chases. Either you have the question or you don't. And we all no the answer to that.  

Sorry I called your bluff dude.... 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47j309vlob0682rm9yup

• Like 1