2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

9 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It's just because white CBs are super, super rare and there's no actual good reason for this (though there are some bad reasons, for sure.)  But there's literally no other position in football that's like this!

I'm just saying if you want to say someone is going to play safety, you probably should have seen him line up there before you draft him.  At least, the team that draft's him highest is not actually just assuming he can play safety.

There actually are good reasons for this. How many combines to the white kids run 4.4 or under and wow in the agility drills? The few times it happens they happen to be WRs. 

Jason Seahorn is the last white CB I remember that was any good. I may have missed one, but not many. 

Edited by Old Guy

Dejean had 7 starts at ss in 2021, so he does have experience at S. I think he has a lot of DB flexibility and would be an excellent slot as well. Oh and don't forget he actually tackles, something we desperately need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

There actually are good reasons for this. How many combines to the white kids run 4.4 or under and wow in the agility drills? The few times it happens they happen to be WRs. 

Jason Seahorn is the last white CB I remember that was any good. I may have missed one, but not many. 

If you're talking post-Sehorn there was none. Pre-Sehorn there was guys like Roger Wehrli(a Hall of Famer) and Pat Fischer(the definition of a gritty scrapper), but they played mostly during the 70's. After that, you found consistent white CB play in the 50's and partway through the sixties. The last white guys we had at that position here were Doug Hart and Jesse Whittenton.

Even when Sehorn was active he was a Unicorn. Apart from, what, a safety named Scott Case who initially was listed at CB(or so PFR says), that was it.

31 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

If you're talking post-Sehorn there was none. Pre-Sehorn there was guys like Roger Wehrli(a Hall of Famer) and Pat Fischer(the definition of a gritty scrapper), but they played mostly during the 70's. After that, you found consistent white CB play in the 50's and partway through the sixties. The last white guys we had at that position here were Doug Hart and Jesse Whittenton.

Even when Sehorn was active he was a Unicorn. Apart from, what, a safety named Scott Case who initially was listed at CB(or so PFR says), that was it.

It’s been a while for sure. 

Edited by Old Guy

12 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think if you're drafting Dejean it's to play CB.  He played like one snap at safety in his entire career at Iowa.  People are just saying "he's a safety" because he's like 6'1" 205 and white.

Its really not that difficult to put on Dejean highlights and see traits that would make an elite safety.

I see him like a Minkah Fitzpatrick coming out.  Minka, coming out, was a safety that could also play corner.

Dejean is a corner that can also play safety.  So they are flip flopped.

But man, his instincts, eyes and intelligence make him very intriguing as a safety that can easily come up to play the run, go 1:1 with a TE or even a slot WR.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

I think that would be a foolish way to use his skill set.

That depends entirely on how well he can do that (play single high safety). If he can do that at a high level the position is very important in Hafley's scheme and not many can do it well, so he most certainly isn't wasted there.
If, on the other hand, he can do significantly better at cornerback, then he should play cornerback.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think he's the perfect nickel corner.  Athletic enough to shut down slot receivers and physical enough to play the run and be a dangerous blitzer.  Also has strong return skills, which would come in handy if Nixon is let go.  Packers pick at #25 if he's on the board. 

What if I told you that we could put in a defense with....get this....3 safeties.  ( I feel like we did this at times last year )

You can play games with all of them, but especially DeJean.  Is he an OLB?  Slot?  SS?  FS?

You know how QB's like to identify the Mike at the LOS?  How about if they have to identify what a "joker" player like Dejean is doing?

Because?  You are right, he can play nickel.  I know he can play deep.  I know he can support the run.  I don't question the athleticism nor the instincts.   But man, it would be so cool to roll out there with a FA safety, DeJean and maybe AJJJ.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Truth said:

Dejean had 7 starts at ss in 2021, so he does have experience at S. I think he has a lot of DB flexibility and would be an excellent slot as well. Oh and don't forget he actually tackles, something we desperately need.

The scouting report on him is he struggles with tackling. 

I'm no expert, just what I’ve read. I’d love if he could play a big slot some. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

That depends entirely on how well he can do that (play single high safety). If he can do that at a high level the position is very important and not many can do it well, so he most certainly isn't wasted there. If, on the other hand, he can do significantly better at cornerback, then he should play cornerback.

The "special" traits he has are better up close. Even if he could do it well, he wouldn't be able to use the traits he's shown that make him a high end prospect.

• Like 1