When Your Team Drafted "Your Guy"

BetterCallSaul

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 6:55 PM, Chiefer said:

Eric Berry - Safety play was awful the entire 2009 season. Like putrid, allowed long TD after Long TD, easily worst in the league. That whole year I was praying for Berry, he was the perfect Safety prospect. Playmaker, ball hawk, athlete, big hitter, you name it. 

I wanted Eric Berry soooo badly as a Browns fan. My roommate in college and I watched Eric Berry Tennessee highlights like it was a drug leading up to the draft lol Mostly because it was coming off the era of Reed/Lynch/Polamalu/Sanders/Taylor and we thought Berry was that type of dude. He was mocked to us a ton too so it was almost like preparing for the inevitable. The loudest NOOOO when the Cheifs drafted him at #5 happened. The Browns then drafted Joe Haden at #7 and we spent the rest of the evening talking ourselves into how it was actually a more reasonable move.

Eric Berry tops my all time list of 'your guys that your team didnt get' players.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In 2017 the Rams had multiple third round picks and with the first of them, did not draft Cooper Kupp, who @jrry32 was pounding the table for.

The written tirade that he unleashed was beyond epic. I'd call it legendary, really. He was so sure that Kupp would be a great pick for the Rams.

That was on our main Rams forum, and obviously six plus years ago - since then I've had two kids, changed careers, etc. - but I don't think I'll ever forget reading back through the draft day thread and seeing that tirade and in hindsight was so unbelievably dead on.

Felt like a perfect thread to mention that lol. For me it was James Lauranaitis. When the Rams were up with pick 33 that year, I screamed at the TV for us to draft him and we did. I'd give that pick a C+. Rams all time leading tackler but his tackles seemed to always be 7 yards downfield

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

In 2017 the Rams had multiple third round picks and with the first of them, did not draft Cooper Kupp, who @jrry32 was pounding the table for.

The written tirade that he unleashed was beyond epic. I'd call it legendary, really. He was so sure that Kupp would be a great pick for the Rams.

That was on our main Rams forum, and obviously six plus years ago - since then I've had two kids, changed careers, etc. - but I don't think I'll ever forget reading back through the draft day thread and seeing that tirade and in hindsight was so unbelievably dead on.

Felt like a perfect thread to mention that lol. For me it was James Lauranaitis. When the Rams were up with pick 33 that year, I screamed at the TV for us to draft him and we did. I'd give that pick a C+. Rams all time leading tackler but his tackles seemed to always be 7 yards downfield

It was when we drafted Gerald Everett in the 2nd. I was sooooooo mad lol. 

I wanted us to take Cooper Kupp in the 2nd and George Kittle later in the draft instead of Everett. I'm just thankful Kupp made up for the Rams drafting the WR that was my guy in 2013, Tavon Austin. Whoops. 🤮

Edited by jrry32

The only two guys I was really hyped for that the Bears actually drafted:

1. Tarik Cohen-RB

2. Roschon Johnson-RB

In Cohen's case, I came across his college highlight vids like a week or two before the draft, and good lord that kid had absolutely ludicrous start/stop and change of direction ability. He worked out "ok" for us overall. He was one of the biggest weapons on a fairly weak offensive roster, but limitations started appearing when they tried turning him into a high volume guy instead of the gadget/change of pace guy he really was. Great locker room guy, and I'm still a fan of his. Sadly, he could never quite become more than a #3ish weapon, and a knee injury pretty badly derailed his career. I'll always be a fan of his, and he's had a really rough go of it lately, but overall objectively looking at his career with Chicago it was always more "what might have been" had he not gotten injured and the rest of the offense around him actually been built up.

As for Roschon he's a rookie this year so it's a bit early to say, Bit of a mixed bag really..... Chicago has 3x RBs who are all capable of being a #1 RB. Roschon was the most physical, and best pass blocker, but probably the least explosive. He laid some wood on a safety with a REALLY violent hit, but ended up in the concussion protocol for his efforts. He's been a bit contact shy since coming back and is probably the RB3 right now.  If he can find the balance between physical play and protecting himself, he'll likely be the RB of the future here, but the ceiling does feel a bit limited. We'll see going forward though.... He has fairly low milage (in college he split with Bijan and even statistically outperformed him on the average, but their running styles meant that Bijan sometimes lost yards chasing the bigger play and occasionally hit home runs, where Roschon was more apt to just get his pads low and churn forward for the consistent extra 2-3 yards)

Man.... didn't really realize just how rarely the team actually drafts the guy I'm screaming at my TV for them to draft, when they're available.  My ego is going to pretend that's why the Bears are stuck in the pit of misery, however. They should have just listened to me.