When Your Team Drafted "Your Guy"

BetterCallSaul

Knowshon Moreno
Patrick Surtain ll

Were the only two players who were my guys the team has ever drafted… the passing on George Kittle (one of my guys who literally went the very next pick) for Jake Butt still haunts me. 

Players I hated that my team drafted include:

Jarvis Moss
Paxton Lynch

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Kenny Phillips. I think the whole Giants forum here at the time loved KP and wanted him so bad after Gibril Wilson left in FA following the 2007 Super Bowl season. He was good, but had some seriously gnarly injuries. His left knee was operated on every offseason, I think. He had a great 2011.

Hakeem Nicks. Short career, but a good one that included an amazing postseason in 2011 leading us to our 4th Super Bowl. I think his foot got messed up, and was messed up for years, which led to a slow decline and eventually ended his career.

David Wilson. Man, he would have been so good if he didn't get that neck injury. His rookie year started slow but then he really turned it on. I remember that Saints game where he had something like 400 all purpose yards and 2 or 3 touchdowns.

Jayron Hosley. Another VT guy in that 2012 draft that I loved and we got him in the 3rd. He was just bad.

Saquon Barkley. My favorite prospect to watch ever. Bought his jersey the night he was drafted. Time will tell how he pans out. So far, his career has been great but marred by injuries.

I think I need to stop liking prospects.

little giants GIF

or invest 

2009.  GB was moving to a 3/4 defense.

We needed a big guy in the middle and an OLB to rush the passer.

My guys were BJ Raji and Clay Matthews.

We won a Super Bowl in 2010.  Raji was on track to be a great one inside.  Then decided to eat more, train less.  Clay was a cornerstone of the franchise for years.

edit* I had the wrong thread

I thought it was when another team drafted your guy

I’ve got 2 for the Browns

Deshone Kizer

Greg Little 

besides those two they always pretty much do the opposite of what I want 

so many good players we missed out on that I wanted that we just passed up on. Julio, Earl Thomas, Tyrann Matthieu. I like Joe Haden but Earl Thomas was the pick there. Just so many bad examples smh. 

Edited by brownie man

Honestly, I don't know if the Bengals have ever drafted "my guy" outside of some of the obvious ones like Joe Burrow and Carson Palmer.  I was Chase over Sewell, so that may be as close as i've been to that. 

Wait, I was definitely an AJ Green guy in 2011, so there is one.

2002: I wanted Jeremy Shockey, we took Levi Jones
2003: Carson Palmer was the obvious pick
2004: We took Chris Perry, my guy was Chris Gamble
2005: We took David Pollack, can't remember who my guy was that year, i'm sure I had one though.  I don't think it was Pollack.
2006: We took Jonathan Joseph, my guy was Nick Mangold
2007: We took Leon Hall, my guy was Michael Griffin
2008: We took Keith Rivers, my guy was Vernon Gholston, but he was gone. I think I was ok with Rivers back then.
2009: We took Andre Smith, my guy was Eugene Monroe
2010: We took Jermaine Gresham, my guy was Dez Bryant
2011: Woo hoo, AJ Green!
2012: Dre Kirkpatrick and Kevin Zeitler, I remember being high on Dontari Poe, but he was gone by 17.  I really wanted David DeCastro, but we took Kirkpatrick over him. I do remember being pretty happy with Zeitler once we missed out on DeCastro.  I thought DeCastro was going to be like Quenton Nelson was more recently.
2013: We took Tyler Eifert who I think I was cool with, but I really wanted Xavier Rhodes as well
2014: We took Darqueze Dennard, didn't really have a my guy in this draft, but I did want Bradley Roby over Dennard.
2015: I hated that Cedric Ogbuehi pick with a passion, didn't like that draft very much, I think I wanted Laken Tomlinson
2016: We took William Jackson, which I liked, but my guy was Robert Nkemdiche 
2017: We took John Ross which I didn't care for, my guy was Marshon Lattimore
2018: We took Billy Price, I was super huge on Frank Ragnow and devastated when he went one pick before us.  Then we reach for Price.  Le sigh.  Would have preferred James Daniels.  Probably one of my most over compensating trying to like the pick afterwards drinking the kool aid I have ever done post draft.
2019: We took Jonah Williams, my guy was Devin Bush who went one pick before, and after Bush, I wanted Dexter Lawrence
2020: Joe Mother ******* Burrow
2021: I did really like Sewell, but I wanted Chase
2022: We took Dax Hill, which I was pretty cool with, but I wanted Kyler Gordon.
2023: We took Myles Murphy, my guy was Emmanuel Forbes, but he went at 16.  I'm pretty good with Murphy, but was also looking at Porter Jr, Mayer, Hall, and Foskey.

That was a fun trip down memory lane.

• Like 2

Two that come to mind for me are Casey Hampton in 2003 and Ben Roethlisberger in 2004.  I saw Ben play(live) when he was in college and was so excited I got on a old message board (Stillers.com) and was talking him up.  At that point no one would be thinking about drafting a MAC QB in the 1st round.

I think the only other one might be Stephon Tuitt who the Steelers got in the 2nd round in 2014.

11 hours ago, Forge said:

Tank carradine, baby!

Does Nick Bosa count?

Hell, yes! Bosa is legitimately the only player I followed for more than just the year he was going to be drafted. I spent 2 years watching him and hoping we would get him because we missed out on Joey. I actually thank Garoppolo's knee regularly for getting us Nick. 

My guy before that? Patrick Willis. Wow. Love that dude and I cried when he retired early--though I understood why. 

I have both jerseys, too.  

2013: Desmond Trufant - Played at a fringe Pro Bowl level his first 5 years in Atlanta. Later got cut for cap reasons.

2014: Jake Matthews - starting LT the last 10 years. Been a rock at the position.

2015: Vic Beasley - Great in 2016. Out of the league now.

2018: Calvin Ridley - Good, but gambling problems caused him to leave

We'll see what happens with Bijan this year. Lowkey, he was my guy.

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Honestly, I don't know if the Bengals have ever drafted "my guy" outside of some of the obvious ones like Joe Burrow and Carson Palmer.  I was Chase over Sewell, so that may be as close as i've been to that. 

Wait, I was definitely an AJ Green guy in 2011, so there is one.

2002: I wanted Jeremy Shockey, we took Levi Jones
2003: Carson Palmer was the obvious pick
2004: We took Chris Perry, my guy was Chris Gamble
2005: We took David Pollack, can't remember who my guy was that year, i'm sure I had one though.  I don't think it was Pollack.
2006: We took Jonathan Joseph, my guy was Nick Mangold
2007: We took Leon Hall, my guy was Michael Griffin
2008: We took Keith Rivers, my guy was Vernon Gholston, but he was gone. I think I was ok with Rivers back then.
2009: We took Andre Smith, my guy was Eugene Monroe
2010: We took Jermaine Gresham, my guy was Dez Bryant
2011: Woo hoo, AJ Green!
2012: Dre Kirkpatrick and Kevin Zeitler, I remember being high on Dontari Poe, but he was gone by 17.  I really wanted David DeCastro, but we took Kirkpatrick over him. I do remember being pretty happy with Zeitler once we missed out on DeCastro.  I thought DeCastro was going to be like Quenton Nelson was more recently.
2013: We took Tyler Eifert who I think I was cool with, but I really wanted Xavier Rhodes as well
2014: We took Darqueze Dennard, didn't really have a my guy in this draft, but I did want Bradley Roby over Dennard.
2015: I hated that Cedric Ogbuehi pick with a passion, didn't like that draft very much, I think I wanted Laken Tomlinson
2016: We took William Jackson, which I liked, but my guy was Robert Nkemdiche 
2017: We took John Ross which I didn't care for, my guy was Marshon Lattimore
2018: We took Billy Price, I was super huge on Frank Ragnow and devastated when he went one pick before us.  Then we reach for Price.  Le sigh.  Would have preferred James Daniels.  Probably one of my most over compensating trying to like the pick afterwards drinking the kool aid I have ever done post draft.
2019: We took Jonah Williams, my guy was Devin Bush who went one pick before, and after Bush, I wanted Dexter Lawrence
2020: Joe Mother ******* Burrow
2021: I did really like Sewell, but I wanted Chase
2022: We took Dax Hill, which I was pretty cool with, but I wanted Kyler Gordon.
2023: We took Myles Murphy, my guy was Emmanuel Forbes, but he went at 16.  I'm pretty good with Murphy, but was also looking at Porter Jr, Mayer, Hall, and Foskey.

That was a fun trip down memory lane.

This seems like a fun exercise.  Earliest time I can remember having a strong opinion on who the Titans drafted vs. who they should draft was 06.

2006: Titans drafted Vince Young, me and the entire state wanted Jay Cutler.
2007: I'd be lying if I said I remembered who I wanted.
2008: Not so great a memory this far back either, but I want to say it was Antoine Cason, and we took Chris Johnson.
2009: I wanted Robert Ayers, but he was off the board way before the Titans picked Kenny Britt.
2010: One I forgot.  Derrick Morgan was my guy that year.
2011: I wanted one of JJ Watt or Nick Fairley.  We got Jake Locker.
2012: Really wanted David DeCastro, but we took Kendall Wright.
2013: The dark times.  Took Chance Warmack.  Really wanted Dee Milliner, but when he was gone, I wanted Desmond Trufant.
2014: Took Taylor Lewan, who wasn't really on my radar to be there, and tackle wasn't where I thought we'd go.  I wanted Dee Ford.
2015: Of course I wanted Mariota, but I don't think I'd call him my guy.
2016: Was a weird one.  Wanted Tunsil, then we traded down, and he was available, but they took Conklin instead.
2017: Wanted Mike Williams, but they took Corey Davis.  Other first I wanted Gareon Conley.
2018: Wanted Harold Landry with the first pick, who they took with the second.
2019: AJ Brown was the my guyest my guy of all time.  The draft being in Nashville that year and getting him in the second was a special night.
2020: Justin Madubuike was my guy that year, Titans took Isaiah Wilson.
2021: Wanted Greg Rousseau, took Caleb Farley, which was a pick I liked at the time.
2022: Treylon was the receiver I was hoping would be there for our pick at 26.  How we got him, I was not a fan.
2023: We took Skoronski, I wanted Broderick Jones.

Edited by Daniel

Marcel Dareus - By the time the draft came around it was a forgone conclusion he'd be the pick. First 4-5 years were excellent despite some off field issues

EJ Manuel - My bad. 

Shaq Lawson - Thought he would be an absolute demon in Rex Ryan scheme. Funny enough, the only staff that seems to get anything out of his is McDermotts.

Ed Oliver - Has not lived up to full expectations. Has not been as bad as some people would lead you to believe. This is a big season for his career.

Kaiir Elam - Jury is still out. Didn't start right away as a rookie but showed plenty of flash and had the coaching staffs confidence by seasons end.

2004: Jonathan Vilma was great until his knee sucked and we switched to a 3-4

2006: Mangold and Brick locked down the OL for a decade

2007: Revis and David Harris were defensive cornerstones

2008: Gholston was a massive bust

Then a huge run on players I disliked

2021: not my top guy in the draft but really liked Michael Carter RB. He’s up in the air now

2022: Loved Breece Hall to pair with Carter but thought we had way more needs and we wouldn’t touch RB until Day 3. Was praying Garrett Wilson would slip to 10. 

Most of my favorite guys went to different teams and had mixed careers.