When Your Team Drafted "Your Guy"

BetterCallSaul

In 2007, I had 3 "my guys" that I banged the table for:

*Calvin Johnson

*Adrian Peterson

*Joe Thomas

We grabbed JT and I couldn't have been happier...and here we are 16 years later staring at a first ballot HOF player.

• Like 3

Cleveland Browns

1. Duke Johnson
-I was thrilled when we got him. He was someone I was unreasonably high on in the process & thought he was destined for stardom. During his tenure in Cleveland, he was pretty much our best & only playmaker. That said, it was on some of the worst NFL rosters ever assembled. Given that he was a 3rd round pick, I'd give the selection a B+ when you factor in everything. He was a good player, but certainly never a superstar with us. I do think he was underutilized for his entire career though, as he always managed to produce with limited touches.

2. Johnny Manziel
-I fell in love with him. His tape was a beautiful disaster & I knew the inherent risks of drafting him. That said, I was one of the dudes that was betting on Manziel. He was the best improviser I've ever seen play the game & I expected that to translate to the NFL. In all fairness, I didn't know he was a raging drug addict & pill head. I think that's what killed his career moreso than talent. In any case, I was way wrong. F-.

3. Randall Telfer
-Didn't do anything. I was ecstatic to land him late in the draft, as he was supposed to provide us with a set of reliable hands & blocking upside. He provided us with an injured pile of poo. D-.

4. Carl Nassib
-Was a dude I was crazy high on. I thought he would warrant a 1st round pick because of his size and ability to bend the edge with said size. He was a terror at Penn State & was somebody I expected to dominate the league once he added some more weight & technique. His biggest flaw was that he played too high at times, but that was a correctable issue. He ended up being solid, but very much unspectacular. Given where he was selected, I think he was about a C+ selection.

5. Jabrill Peppers
-
I was a big fan of his. Loved the idea of him being a box safety. I overlooked the ball production thing & still think it's a dumb way to evaluate prospects. He was a dude I expected to wallop people in the run game & create havoc in passing lanes with his size and athleticism. If he faltered as a S, he could play linebacker or even corner as fallbacks. In Cleveland, we used him idiotically as a FS playing 35 yards off the ball. He wasn't bad, but was never really a star player. Seems like it's kind of the same thing now. A starter, but not someone that is solidly entrenched in that role. B- selection.

6. Caleb Brantley
-I thought he was worth a 1st round pick for someone. He was big, strong, and had good tape at Florida. What he didn't have was technique. He was also apparentely insanely lazy & whiney. If I recall correctly, he got into some big trouble with the law too, after we had parted ways. He was terrible and barely ever got any playing time. F.

7. Denzel Ward
-
I actually was not a fan of Ward early in the process. The more I watched of him, the more impressed I was. At the end of the process, I had him rated as my #1 overall defensive player. I was petrified we were going to take Bradley Chubb over Ward. Was thrilled when we didn't & selected Ward. He has been an elite CB prospect with the caveat that he's had injuries. If he could stay healthy, he would be a perfect player. He's been everything I hoped for, so I'm giving it an A+. 

8. Greg Newsome
-
Newsome was someone I was very high on coming out. He had elite acceleration out of his breaks, was physical, and had the prerequisite size and measurables to thrive as an outside corner. He was my #9 overall rated prospect in that class & he's lived up to the billing, despite having to move to NCB this past year. He's worthy of an as far as grade. The only thing keeping it from being an A+ is the fact that he has also had some injury issues & isn't quite as good as Denzel Ward.

9. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
-
I had him as my #4 overall prospect. Absolutely loved (& still do) JOK at Notre Dame. He was the perfect SAM/STAR linebacker for a 4-2-5 defense and someone that could eventually even see some snaps at MIKE if we could protect him with our DL alignments. Good Ole Joe Woods decided to move him to WILL linebacker and ask him to eat tackles and guards all game long, which was something he was never going to be good at. He's flashed some big time potential & is great when he's allowed to play the space game, but the Browns coaches are/were idiots. Hopefully with a new DC, we see him deployed the way he should be. I fully expect him to be a stud in the NFL once he is moved to his rightful position. As for now, I'm giving him a B- grade, but it really should be an "incomplete" given his situation.

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

In 2007, I had 3 "my guys" that I banged the table for:

*Calvin Johnson

*Adrian Peterson

*Joe Thomas

We grabbed JT and I couldn't have been happier...and here we are 16 years later staring at a first ballot HOF player.

Same. I was leaning Adrian Peterson for us to be honest, but we couldn't have gone wrong with any of those players. I'm not gonna lie, but there were some borderline illegal things I did watching the Adrian Peterson highlight tape from his time at Oklahoma. 

Hmm.   I had Derrick Johnson, Eric Berry, Patrick Mahomes, and Trent McDuffie.

It’s worked out pretty well I’d say.  

Some later guys that didn’t work out as well.   Donald Stephenson, Sanders Commings, Ricky Stanzi, Armani Watts

4 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Same. I was leaning Adrian Peterson for us to be honest, but we couldn't have gone wrong with any of those players. I'm not gonna lie, but there were some borderline illegal things I did watching the Adrian Peterson highlight tape from his time at Oklahoma. 

I listed those 3 in the order that I wanted them, no question. I followed AD all the way back to his HS days, but I legitimately loved all 3 and was pumped that we finally got a legit OL in Cleveland about 8 years too late.

Other guys throughout the years I've wanted that we drafted were:

*Denzel Ward

*Nick Chubb

*Trent Richardson: I felt like he was the "safest" in that draft even though I wasn't thrilled with drafting a RB high. Oops.

*Scooby Wright: I loved him and thought he'd be a true underdog story. Nope.

In all honesty, they've drafted very few of "my guys" throughout the years, passing on my favorites multiple times like Aaron Rodgers (we got Braylon so I was mad), Ngata, Darnold (YIKES), Watson at 12 (I mocked Myles at 1 and Watson at 12 for us years ago), and a good many others.

Edited by MWil23

DeAndre Hopkins ended up being a pro bowler. Texans definitely hit on that pick.

Other prospects I banged the table for and the Texans picked include:

Will Fuller-  Bust

Brian Cushing-  Stud until he did the PED's

Remains to be seen on Tank Dell, CJ Stroud and Will Anderson. 

Edited by Texansfan713
  • Like 1

1. Bryan Bulaga - A+ - Cornerstone tackle for the Packers for a number of years.

2. Jermichael Finley - A - Loved him out of Texas and he didn't disappoint till neck injuries ended his career early. 

3. Darnell Savage - C - Still a starter and has been hot and cold. I saw a lot of Earl Thomas in his initial tape but he certainly is no Earl Thomas. 

4. Datone Jones - F - Thought he was our version of Justin Smith.... He was not. 

5. Luke Musgrave - - TBD

50 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

A blast from the past! I remember being super high on him coming out.

Showed some decent promise his rookie year,   busted for PED's  and his played really dropped after that.   I think he went to Denver for a bit,  than disappeared.

Kenny Phillips. I think the whole Giants forum here at the time loved KP and wanted him so bad after Gibril Wilson left in FA following the 2007 Super Bowl season. He was good, but had some seriously gnarly injuries. His left knee was operated on every offseason, I think. He had a great 2011.

Hakeem Nicks. Short career, but a good one that included an amazing postseason in 2011 leading us to our 4th Super Bowl. I think his foot got messed up, and was messed up for years, which led to a slow decline and eventually ended his career.

David Wilson. Man, he would have been so good if he didn't get that neck injury. His rookie year started slow but then he really turned it on. I remember that Saints game where he had something like 400 all purpose yards and 2 or 3 touchdowns.

Jayron Hosley. Another VT guy in that 2012 draft that I loved and we got him in the 3rd. He was just bad.

Saquon Barkley. My favorite prospect to watch ever. Bought his jersey the night he was drafted. Time will tell how he pans out. So far, his career has been great but marred by injuries.

I think I need to stop liking prospects.

• Like 1