When Your Team Drafted "Your Guy"

BetterCallSaul

The good ones I can think of are Fletcher Cox (Wanted Kuechly even more, but I knew he'd go too early), Shady, Goedert, and DeVonta (Wanted Chase more, but knew he was going to Cinci).

The only one I liked a lot that didn't work out was Sidney Jones.
There were some other picks I liked that didn't work out, but the players we took weren't necessarily my guy, I just agreed with the reasoning for taking them- Like Andre Dillard or Reagor or Derek Barnett or Eric Rowe. I thought they would all be better than they turned out, but I wasn't exactly banging the table for them.

A lot of the time "my guy" in a draft is playing a position the Eagles are already set at, or they will just go way too early- like Sauce, so the Eagles rarely ever have a shot of drafting that 1 or 2 or 3 guys I really covet in a given class - especially if one of those guys is a RB that goes in the first 2 rounds. 

Edited by Jeezla

• 2 weeks later...

I know its a 2nd rounder and its recent - but damn, as a penn state fan; watching Antwon Winfield ball out at Minnesota against us really opened my eyes to the point: I loved him as a prospect. Shocked he didnt get first round buzz until i saw there were "concerns" over a past knee surgery at Minnesota. 

That and seeing the Bucs get my boy Chris Godwin were FANTASTIC to see as a fan. Didn't care for Donovan Smith although he did outperform my expectations of him as a LT (not great LT, but was serviceable for years as an average starter - when i thought he'd be an absolute flop at Tackle to begin with). 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 9:35 AM, RedGold said:

Hmm.   I had Derrick Johnson, Eric Berry, Patrick Mahomes, and Trent McDuffie.

It’s worked out pretty well I’d say.  

Some later guys that didn’t work out as well.   Donald Stephenson, Sanders Commings, Ricky Stanzi, Armani Watts

Who doesn't love Ricky Stanzi? He's a real American.

• Like 1

I thought Derrick Johnson was a fantastic pick in 2005.

Really loved Eric Berry in 2010, though who didn't?

But 2008, aside from Branden Albert, who I really didn't care about, they basically had my dream draft. Glenn Dorsey, Brandon Flowers, and Jamaal Charles were some of my favorite prospects in the draft. I loved Brandon Carr, Barry Richardson, and DaJuan Morgan as later picks as well. Though the last two obviously didn't quite pan out like the prior guys. But basically half the draft was straight off of my wish list.

On the sadder end...

I loved the Javier Arenas pick. Didn't think he'd amount to much on defense, but thought he'd be an elite return man for years for us. But then he honestly got over-shadowed by Dexter McCluster in that role, and the best thing Arenas really did for us was was as a trade piece for Anthony Sherman.

I thought Nico Johnson was a fantastic pick. Thought he was going to be the run stuffing thumper we needed to pair with DJ back when we were running a 3-4. Thought it would be an absolutely perfect pairing. But, no.

Similar story with Jerrell Powe. Thought he was a steal in the 6th round, only had Phil Taylor as a better NT prospect for us. Thought he'd be a NT for us long term, and then it wound up being a different Poe we took the next year instead that filled that spot.

And then the jury is out on this one so far, but I really really liked Skyy Moore. And I still think he breaks out this year with JuJu gone.

Sam Howell - 2022 - TBD. I thought he was one of the best QBs in the draft and a 5th rounder for him was a steal.

Sam Cosmi - 2021 - Up and down. Injuries have derailed him. He's been solid at times. 2nd rounder.

Kendall Fuller - 2017 - He's been a pretty good corner. Good pick. 3rd rounder. 

Bacarri Rambo - That name was so cool. He stunk. 

On 6/12/2023 at 4:36 PM, GW21 said:

Who doesn't love Ricky Stanzi? He's a real American.

Fun story. I played against him in HS. His team was OP. We were whooping his behind 21-0 at halftime, he hadn’t done anything against us. We give him a bad concussion right before halftime. His 5’6 backup QB comes in and they switch the offense to zone read (2005). We lose 42-28 because no1 on our coaching staff had ever seen it before. It was right before the boom of spread offenses & the zone read concept sweeping HS football. 

18 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Matt Jones...woof. Although I was barely a teenager so I was dumb

Eugene Monroe- he was solid

Jalen Ramsey-Win

Myles Jack-Win

Josh Allen

Matt Jones was good when he wasn’t falling deep into his drug habit. He had one year where he was very good, IIRC. Everyone loved Matt Jones. 

5 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Matt Jones was good when he wasn’t falling deep into his drug habit. He had one year where he was very good, IIRC. Everyone loved Matt Jones. 

I feel like good is a stretch. I mean he could make acrobatic 1-handed catches but miss the easy ones ala Brandon Lloyd. Plus for a big guy he was still a QB at heart afraid to get hit

Bears: these guys I drafted in my real-time drafts.

Fields - potentially one of the best picks in Bears history, this season will go a long way saying yes or no. Fields has been grossly mishandled by a franchise that has incompetence in developing QBs

Jenkins - when healthy he has been one of the best OGs in the league. Injury woes are really sucking though. Even knowing the risk I'd have still made the move in the 2nd.

Wright - Loved his tape last year, wanted him to be a 2nd-3rd round steal but became pretty apparent that was a pipe dream. He's a rookie so 100% TBD.

Dexter - Physical freak who was a Gator, so homerism was a real struggle to overlook. I am NOT saying he can be Chris Jones but he has the physical make up of Jones. If he can be 75% of what Jones is then Poles got fantastic value in the 2nd. Not expecting immediate success though. But also a rookie so 100% TBD.

9 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like good is a stretch. I mean he could make acrobatic 1-handed catches but miss the easy ones ala Brandon Lloyd. Plus for a big guy he was still a QB at heart afraid to get hit

Hell of Madden player though. May as well have been Calvin Johnson.