2023 ROT 'The Talented Mr. Monken'

DreamKid

13 minutes ago, Nobellythrower said:

he's just not good

Shrewd analysis, I'd value it if I didn't hear the same level of criticism attached to a super majority of players on this team. It's either manic shaming of a player or rampant simping, there's never any middle ground. Maybe Bateman doesn't work out and the injuries totally derail his career, that's certainly a possibility- but the 'All or Nothing' approach by fans when analyzing these players will consistently yield significant misses. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DreamKid said:

You mean the healthy 10 year veteran playing out of the slot is having an easier time producing than the young WR battling 2 injuries on the boundary? Imagine my shock.

Young players go through growing pains and players dealing with injuries often struggle, that's just how it works. How many people wanted to trade Patrick Queen when he was struggling? Or even wanted Brandon Stephens cut? Now those guys are fan favorites. It takes time, and smart clubs let players develop/grow. 

This is all ridiculous too because if Bateman caught that one TD pass no one would even be mentioning him negatively. One drop doesn't define a WR, just as one INT doesn't define a QB, or one missed block doesn't define a lineman. Let Bateman get healthy and reacclimated, then analyze his play through the correct lens.

exCUSE ME

Not today, sir. Stephens is still on my shiit list and some good outings against Minshew, Pickett, and Tannehill will not change my mind 😁

He has played much better this year though for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

exCUSE ME

Not today, sir. Stephens is still on my shiit list and some good outings against Minshew, Pickett, and Tannehill will not change my mind 😁

He has played much better this year though for sure. 

Yea, I'm more so talking about the surface level reactionaries. I'm still concerned about our CB group as well. Props to Brandon for his performances thus far, but it's a long season and we haven't exactly faced top competition. Which is partly why I'm so excited for this game against the Lions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Yea, I'm more so talking about the surface level reactionaries. I'm still concerned about our CB group as well. Props to Brandon for his performances thus far, but it's a long season and we haven't exactly faced top competition. Which is partly why I'm so excited for this game against the Lions. 

I'm not worried about our defense against the Lions, I'm worried about our offense. Particularly, our second half offense.

Our defense will do enough to keep us in this game but the offense cannot go dormant for an entire half and expect us to win.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm worried about our offense. Particularly, our second half offense.

If we're still doing the run Gus straight into the line thing on 2nd & long, it'll be time to start hammering Monken. The new OC grace period is quickly fading away and I'm tired of watching this offense underachieve. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

If we're still doing the run Gus straight into the line thing on 2nd & long, it'll be time to start hammering Monken. The new OC grace period is quickly fading away and I'm tired of watching this offense underachieve. 

If I have to watch another half of our offense doing nothing while our OC refuses to call designed runs for the only guy who can get positive yards in our run game, I'll be raising hell right next to you.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DreamKid said:

This is all ridiculous too because if Bateman caught that one TD pass no one would even be mentioning him negatively. One drop doesn't define a WR, just as one INT doesn't define a QB, or one missed block doesn't define a lineman. Let Bateman get healthy and reacclimated, then analyze his play through the correct lens.

This is not true and you are oversimplifying.

Dude has looked like a poor man's Nelson Agholor all year.

^ Check the datestamp relative to the drop you are talking about. I AM rooting for him to succeed on all accounts, but the results and production has to actually materialize before you state that is the "correct lens".

Whatever you want to say, the biggest reason that Nelson Agholor has more than twice as many yards (so far) as Bateman is becuase he's been a better player.

Edited by wackywabbit

30 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

, but the results and production has to actually materialize before you state that is the "correct lens".

Is a Rashod Bateman that drops balls and fails to produce when on the field the most frequent or common Bateman that we've seen the previous 2 years?

The answer is a resounding no.

Within an offense with less talent, Roman at OC, and when he had less experience in the league(Rookie/Sophomore)- he has traditionally been an impact player when healthy. 

We also know from having dealt with Jimmy Smith, Marquise Brown, and others, that lisfranc injuries frequently linger beyond one season and inhibit performance. Same goes for hamstring issues. 

So when I see a Rashod Bateman coming back from a lisfranc, dealing with hamstring issues, and not producing to his typical level- my instinct isn't "Trade him!!!! Trade him!!!!! BUST BUST!!!!". "LOOK how much better Agholor IS!!!".

Clearly it's going to take some time for him to get fully in sync and healthy. That's not excusing his poor play or low moments, it's just looking at the situation rationally. If the injuries don't stop and his previous level of play doesn't return then the conversation obviously changes. 

It's just frustrating to constantly go through this cyclical discussion with young and developing players year after year. If a player isn't Kyle Hamilton level right out of the gate this fanbase has a tendency to black pill and go overboard with negative analysis, we've seen it happen time after time. Then more often than not the player tends to become a major contributor. Lamar Jackson, Patrick Queen, etc. Big or small name young players have frequently had hate campaigns led against them because fans were upset about a lack of immediate returns due to injury or development issues and in the end the player delivered. Even someone like Brandon Stephens is experiencing something of a redemption arc, with fans calling for a Pro Bowl bid. That's why I'm not in a hurry to condemn a 23 year old player like Rashod Bateman who has flashed major upside in previous seasons despite having horrible luck with injuries. I say all that as someone who viscously attacked Bateman for his comments during the dark ages of our Lamar negotiation too. I believe he has a lot of talent, but those remarks about EDC were willfully destructive during a stretch of horrible press for the club and I won't forget that anytime soon. As a person he's certainly not my favorite, but I'm trying to be fair to him as a young player/asset for the club.

Also, I'm happy Agholor is contributing. I wanted him in FA two years ago after seeing him with the Raiders and defended his signing when most others were mocking it(Pre OBJ and Lamar deal), he's a great back room piece to round out a WR core. So don't think I'm trying to dismiss Nelson, he's been a great addition. 

Bateman topic is a little boring now, but here's a nice video from All-22 Films on YT(You should sub) who reviews film and talks about the offense-

Situations like Bateman's are frustrating, and the 2nd half offense isn't making anyone happy, but I remain optimistic and feel the ceiling of this offense can be special if all the pieces come together.