2023 ROT 'The Talented Mr. Monken'

DreamKid

The thing I'm most interested to see is that I'm hoping spreading the field and using the entire width of the field means Lamar has clearer running lanes so that when he does run, he's not running into all 11 defenders, but instead he's got room to really showcase his speed/agility in space.

Same with JK. I really think the combination of JK/Lamar/Zay Flowers in space is going to be absolutely deadly.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The thing I'm most interested to see is that I'm hoping spreading the field and using the entire width of the field means Lamar has clearer running lanes so that when he does run, he's not running into all 11 defenders, but instead he's got room to really showcase his speed/agility in space.

Same with JK. I really think the combination of JK/Lamar/Zay Flowers in space is going to be absolutely deadly.

The first play broken down here (starting around 1:16) is I think a good example of what we'll hopefully see a lot from Monken in terms of using the width of the field to create space for the running game. 4 WR set in bunches split out as wide as they could possibly be to move defenders out of the box and then running the ball. You could definitely see how a read-option with Lamar and Dobbins could be really effective out of that because you're creating situations where if they make one guy miss, there's tons of green grass ahead of them because the play design has already moved other tacklers out of position to make a play. 

Knowing how much Monken also liked to use 2 TE sets at Georgia, I'm not expecting us to just go full Air Raid but it definitely feels like there will be more variety. Roman's offense was all about motion and basically shrinking the field in the running game and getting as many bodies flying at defenders as possible, whereas it seems like Monken has more appreciation for taking defenders out of the play through spacing rather than just through blocking. 

OTA talk is always going to sound super optimistic so take that part of it with a grain of salt but it's very hard to miss the implicit message in the way Lamar talks about Monken's offense - both in terms of the scheme and Lamar's autonomy - that there was major dissatisfaction on his end with Roman's offense. He's getting what he wants now so let's hope he takes advantage of it - I have a lot of confidence he will. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

The first play broken down here (starting around 1:16) is I think a good example of what we'll hopefully see a lot from Monken in terms of using the width of the field to create space for the running game. 4 WR set in bunches split out as wide as they could possibly be to move defenders out of the box and then running the ball. You could definitely see how a read-option with Lamar and Dobbins could be really effective out of that because you're creating situations where if they make one guy miss, there's tons of green grass ahead of them because the play design has already moved other tacklers out of position to make a play. 

Knowing how much Monken also liked to use 2 TE sets at Georgia, I'm not expecting us to just go full Air Raid but it definitely feels like there will be more variety. Roman's offense was all about motion and basically shrinking the field in the running game and getting as many bodies flying at defenders as possible, whereas it seems like Monken has more appreciation for taking defenders out of the play through spacing rather than just through blocking. 

OTA talk is always going to sound super optimistic so take that part of it with a grain of salt but it's very hard to miss the implicit message in the way Lamar talks about Monken's offense - both in terms of the scheme and Lamar's autonomy - that there was major dissatisfaction on his end with Roman's offense. He's getting what he wants now so let's hope he takes advantage of it - I have a lot of confidence he will. 

This mf spittin

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I love the fact that it feels like we can either go 2 TE or 4 WR's this year and it's not an absolute liability like it has been in the past.

On 5/26/2023 at 4:27 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I love the fact that it feels like we can either go 2 TE or 4 WR's this year and it's not an absolute liability like it has been in the past.

Agreed. It's actually super refreshing. Let's hope we stay injury free. 

It still comes down to what Lamar can do in the pocket. He's proven with time, he can make just about any throw. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel

• 2 months later...

The most interesting training camp storyline for me so far has been rookie Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu getting the first-team snaps at left guard. It sounds like Simpson will get those reps next week but big Sala starting off strong is pretty promising. That's more real hype than Cleveland has ever generated. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

The most interesting training camp storyline for me so far has been rookie Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu getting the first-team snaps at left guard. It sounds like Simpson will get those reps next week but big Sala starting off strong is pretty promising. That's more real hype than Cleveland has ever generated. 

Yeah, Cleveland’s hype essentially stemmed from “he eats squirrels haha”.

Like how early of an impact Sala has made on the coaches. In the very worst case, it feels like he loses the job to Simpson this year but he’ll be the starting LG next year, and we have a 6th round rookie contract starting at LG for us for 3 seasons.