2023 RDT 'Dr. Rush- Hero or Villain?'

DreamKid

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Rival fans always shii on us for saying stuff like this, but it’s legitimately true. Players just play better here. They want it more here. Pierce here vs. Minny vs. here again is a prime example. We just run such a good organization and the players can’t help but feel the energy and buy in. It’s why we’ll never bottom out. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Rival fans always shii on us for saying stuff like this, but it’s legitimately true. Players just play better here. They want it more here. Pierce here vs. Minny vs. here again is a prime example. We just run such a good organization and the players can’t help but feel the energy and buy in. It’s why we’ll never bottom out. 

Pierce renegotiated and chopped a year off of his contract so he'll be a FA at this season rather than in 2024. I'm glad he's motivated for his next contract. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Mike McDonald is going to get a HC gig and that sucks. Biscotti please offer him $10mil a year to stay and inherit Harbaugh’s job.

The thing about him is that he's short, soft spoken, and doesn't seem like he has much of a personality. I have a feeling those intangibles might make owners a little wary of him for HC, he doesn't seem like a typical "leader of men".  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

The thing about him is that he's short, soft spoken, and doesn't seem like he has much of a personality. I have a feeling those intangibles might make owners a little wary of him for HC, he doesn't seem like a typical "leader of men".  

Counterpoint: you just described Mike Mcdaniel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Actually I disagree, McDaniel looks like a frail nerd but he speaks very authoritatively and has a big personality. 

Dude, what? Have you watched his press conferences? 

He’s one of my favorite coaches but speaking authoritatively he does not dude lol. Hard, hard disagree man. Every time he’s up there he just does some self deprecating humor and he speaks pretty softly. No shot in hell Mike Macdonald speaks less authoritatively than Mike Mcdaniel lol. Guess we can agree to disagree but kinda just feels like you’re disagreeing just to disagree

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Dude, what? Have you watched his press conferences? 

He’s one of my favorite coaches but speaking authoritatively he does not dude lol. Hard, hard disagree man. Every time he’s up there he just does some self deprecating humor and he speaks pretty softly. No shot in hell Mike Macdonald speaks less authoritatively than Mike Mcdaniel lol. Guess we can agree to disagree but kinda just feels like you’re disagreeing just to disagree

It's perfectly fine to disagree on personality characteristics, I think people interpret those in a wide variety of ways. I take Mcdaniel's jokes as a sign of confidence and a way of disarming the press. I do think his voice is strong. Mike Macdonald as a speaker reminds me much more of Brandon Staley than McDaniels. 

Anyhow, my hope is the NFL owners will downgrade Macdonald due to what I perceive as a fairly boring and meek personae. Because he is seems to be good at Xs and Os and teaching the players, I'd like him to be on the Ravens for as long as possible. 

38 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

It's perfectly fine to disagree on personality characteristics, I think people interpret those in a wide variety of ways. I take Mcdaniel's jokes as a sign of confidence and a way of disarming the press. I do think his voice is strong. Mike Macdonald as a speaker reminds me much more of Brandon Staley than McDaniels. 

Anyhow, my hope is the NFL owners will downgrade Macdonald due to what I perceive as a fairly boring and meek personae. Because he is seems to be good at Xs and Os and teaching the players, I'd like him to be on the Ravens for as long as possible. 

You and me both brother

Comments like these always miss a crucial point of team building- establishing a high end floor within a position room. 

What do Broderick Washington, Nelson Agholor, Gus Edwards, Patrick Mekari, etc all have in common? They're above average options we stashed behind bigger name/salary players. 

It's wasn't wrong in any way to pay Broderick, extending him just served a different purpose. It wasn't to secure a franchise DI, it was to secure above average depth. We're lucky to be in a position where players like Broderick or Travis Jones are fighting for snaps- it's means we're stacked. 

There's also some ignorance flying around the fanbase with fans saying stuff like "We should let Madubuike go, cause it's easier for us find good defensive tackles".......

A good chunk of the fans seem to be blocking out the stretch where our 'up and coming' talent at DI was Timmy Jernigan, Carl Davis, Brent Urban, Bronson Kaufusi, Willie Henry, and Daylon Mack- that's some Dark Ages sh*t. 

The only option to truly emerge during that time was Michael Pierce who was a UDFA, and Urban has stuck around as a familiar DI4/5. Not only were most of those guys low end talents, but they also took up roster spots that could've gone to a guy like Zach Sieler who we were trying to stash on the PS... So it was a double screw job.

Being able to pick talents like Justin Madubuike or Travis Jones in the 3rd Round is not some routine thing, and our struggle to find sustainable talent at DI was probably Top 4 in terms of difficulty along with WR, IOL, & ILB. When the league shifted away from run heavy offenses and we weren't picking high enough to net freak show do it all talents like Ngata, we couldn't identify DIs with pass rush ability and relied upon NASCAR packages or FA/Trade acquisitions. Which left us with one note interiors, often overaged, and an inevitable lack of pass rush juice deep into the season. 

It's a tough and sucky spot to be in where we have so many fan favorite players hitting FA, but Patrick Queen plays at a spot where we have another All-Pro talent in Roquan Smith and Geno Stone plays at a spot where we have two other All-Pro talents in Marcus Williams and Kyle Hamilton. The logic and priority arrows are probably pointing towards Madubuike as 'The Guy' right now, and if he establishes himself as a Top 5 interior rusher by season's end we simply can't let him leave. 

• Like 1

Think PQ is as good as gone and I suspect Madubuike will be the top internal priority/franchise tag candidate. Geno Stone will be the interesting one, if he ends up leading the league in INT's then it's hard to imagine that not pricing him out of our range, unless EDC decides to move on from Marcus Williams. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...