2023 RDT 'Dr. Rush- Hero or Villain?'

DreamKid

40 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I don’t necessarily disagree, but I think that’s more a function of everyone in the room being solid but not having a real standout at the position.

Even if that’s the case, still doesn’t excuse him from committing 4 (!) penalties in the first 2 weeks of the season as a DL.

Yeah he needs to chill a bit. But 2 are facemask penalties, by DL those are kind of flukey, they are just blindly reaching and grabbing and sometimes you grab a facemask.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Yeah he needs to chill a bit. But 2 are facemask penalties, by DL those are kind of flukey, they are just blindly reaching and grabbing and sometimes you grab a facemask.  

I would give him the benefit of the doubt, except for the fact he has a long track record of being a moron on the field with penalties.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Roquan is something else man. I was completely wrong about him, just didn't believe an ILB could still be a franchise cornerstone-type piece in the modern game. But they are using him differently and he is just built different to begin with. What a player. 

Our biggest issue for years on defense was stopping the small ball game and passes in behind the 2nd level of our defense. It's also fair to say there was a defeatist mentality instilled by ineffectual players/coaches in leadership positions. 

Roquan alone went a long way towards eradicating those plaguing weaknesses. Then you throw in the development of PQ, the injection of blue chip talent at Safety, and McDonald modernizing our scheme. The result is a defense that can absorb major losses at both CB & EDGE and still produce top flight results- something I never would've expected. 

Guys are walking in off the street and seamlessly joining this defense. Career backups are playing some of their best ball. Mercenary Vets like Clowney are singing the praises of our players and coaches. That side of the ball just has the sauce right now and it's all super encouraging. 

There will be some low moments to come I'm sure, especially if the injuries don't stop, but for now we should all enjoy what's cooking. 

• Like 1

It makes a certain degree of sense to me. I've been beating the drum for years that the off-ball linebackers who play 100% (or nearly that) of the snaps are still highly valuable despite popular theory on certain positions holding far more weight. At this pace I don't think it's improbable that the team brings back Queen on a new deal. Simpson was drafted to be his replacement... but he has to show something first. 

I am surprised at just who has stepped up though. Stevens in particular has had an impressive turnaround. Did not see that coming. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Roquan is something else man. I was completely wrong about him, just didn't believe an ILB could still be a franchise cornerstone-type piece in the modern game. But they are using him differently and he is just built different to begin with. What a player. 

That sort of thing trickles down energy-wise to the rest of the defense. Having a dog in the middle again will surprise a lot of you with how much of a difference it will make.

: )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Only took 4 years and a new DC for us to take advantage of Buike's flexibility, better late than never I suppose. This was a trait I identified pre draft and to see it come to fruition is just awesome. I hope he keeps balling. 

You mean to tell me McDonald actually WASNT just a "typical Harbaugh nepotism hire" like many in here stated at the time?! Who'd of thunk it ;) 

• 2 weeks later...