2023 RDT 'Dr. Rush- Hero or Villain?'

DreamKid

For once, the defense didn't get the extra juice this offseason and tbh they didn't really need any outside of CB. It's a big year for players and coaches on that side of the ball to show what they're truly capable of. 

So that's interesting. Likely an indication as well that he is far from guaranteed to make the final roster. 

Also creates space in the CB room - have a feeling this means we'll see Marcus Peters brought back. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

So that's interesting. Likely an indication as well that he is far from guaranteed to make the final roster. 

Also creates space in the CB room - have a feeling this means we'll see Marcus Peters brought back. 

The actual Harbaugh's quotes on Stephens are pretty positive:

"The versatility again, we love it. He's going to focus more on safety; he's gotten a lot of reps at corner so far. One of his superpowers is going to be he can play all five (secondary) spots."

"Those guys become interchangeable if they're playing the nickel spot, and we probably more than anybody played a three-safety-type grouping out there in our nickel package. I would think he (Stephens) could do the same type of thing."

5 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

The actual Harbaugh's quotes on Stephens are pretty positive:

"The versatility again, we love it. He's going to focus more on safety; he's gotten a lot of reps at corner so far. One of his superpowers is going to be he can play all five (secondary) spots."

"Those guys become interchangeable if they're playing the nickel spot, and we probably more than anybody played a three-safety-type grouping out there in our nickel package. I would think he (Stephens) could do the same type of thing."

It sounds more like Stephens is taking on the Chuck Clark role. 

21 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Excited to see what Ojabo can do. If he regains his pre-injury burst then he could be a huge level-upper for the defense. 

He and/or Oweh (less confident in that) actually becoming a legitimate 10-sack guy in this league would take this defense to the upper levels of what it could be. Right now that’s the only thing we’re lacking…a top-end pass rusher. If Oweh or Ojabo actually live up to their draft status this season this defense is going to be ridiculous. And even if they don’t we’ll still be really good.

12 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Alternatively - Stephens plays a significant amount of snaps at safety while Hamilton sticks as the big nickel. There's a lot of pathways here.

12 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

It sounds more like Stephens is taking on the Chuck Clark role. 

Yeah I think the obvious competition to keep an eye out for will be Brandon Stephens, Geno Stone, and Ardarius Washington all competing for that safety spot.

While the corner depth would be solidified with a Marcus Peters signing. Though I’d suspect that both he and Houston might wait until training camp to sign on.

With Peters and Houston in the fold, that would really complete the team and defense in so many ways, punter would legitimately be the only legitimate weak link on the team at that point (which considering the 4th round pick, hopefully that changes from this season and beyond.) LG is also a concern, but between Mekari and Cleveland that should be able to resolve itself. IOL depth is a little more concerning than the last few years, but it’s not in a terrible spot and we should hopefully be able to store some really good OL depth on the PS.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

LG is also a concern, but between Mekari and Cleveland that should be able to resolve itself. IOL depth is a little more concerning than the last few years, but it’s not in a terrible spot and we should hopefully be able to store some really good OL depth on the PS.

Since they got rid of Colon, Mekari is now the only backup C. I think they will keep Mekari as super-sub/backup C rather than starter because backup C is really a valuable position. 

3 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Since they got rid of Colon, Mekari is now the only backup C. I think they will keep Mekari as super-sub/backup C rather than starter because backup C is really a valuable position. 

I think that’s the goal. However if Cleveland scrubs it up then at the very least Mekari could be a capable to good LG.

I’m not too worried, centers usually are positions where quality depth falls into UDFA, I’m sure we had to have snatched up some capable talent (though I haven’t paid attention).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...