Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

N.A.H.

Just insanely tired of the Purdy narrative. He's an average QB asked to do so little in his offense that's loaded with talent. He's just like Hurts. Neither guy is a true franchise QB in any other situation. 

This spits in the face of reality.

Jimmy Garoppolo, CJ Beathard, Nick Mullins, Josh Rosen, Trey Lance and Josh Johnson have all had opportunities to “do very little” in this offense that’s loaded with talent.

That’s two top ten picks and veteran, starting level quarterbacks in this league. None of them have come close to Purdy’s production.

Purdy has had three games under 200 yards passing. He’s had one game under 60%. He has had three games under 7 YPA. 13 of his games have been over 8 YPA.

Brock Purdy isn’t some elite all-time great QB, but he’s certainly closer to all-pro than he is career backup.

Consistency is the only thing that separates franchise quarterbacks and backups and Purdy has consistently put up huge numbers. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Purdy is a cerebral QB with a limited toolset surrounded by insane talent. Outside of finding an Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, he's the next best thing for a Shanahan offense. The only issue is, when it comes time for him to get paid, the 49ers are going to be put in a precarious position. Pay the limited asset and lose the true tools that make you successful or move on and try again. 

Hurts, in Philadelphia, has an insane OL, two legit #1 WRs, a great ground game (when they aren't trying to make Ken Gainwell happen) and a really good TE. He's not a good thrower of the football and put him in a position where he needs to rip it 40 times, you're going to beat the Eagles every time (go look, they've never won when he's had to throw 40 times).

To be fair to Hurts, most QBs are having a bad time when they have to put it up 40+ times per game. It either means you're in a shootout or something has gone to throw your offensive balance and/or efficiency off.

Looking at HoF/HoF lock QBs, Rodgers is 15-29-1 in 40+ attempt games (and was something like 4-11 in his first 4 seasons). Peyton Manning was 37-40. Brees was 42-65. Warner was 12-24. Favre was 27-42. Even Montana was 11-14. 

Of the eventual HoF QBs Eli was 14-41, Roethlisberger was 27-35-1.

Going down a tier: Wilson is 3-13, Matt Ryan is 21-49-1, Stafford is 20-50-1, Rivers was 13-38, weirdly McNabb was 16-14-1, Prescott is 7-14, Romo was 11-16.

The biggest outliers that I could find?

Brady at 62-37

And Mahomes at 26-6

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MacReady said:

This spits in the face of reality.

Jimmy Garoppolo, CJ Beathard, Nick Mullins, Josh Rosen, Trey Lance and Josh Johnson have all had opportunities to “do very little” in this offense that’s loaded with talent.

That’s two top ten picks and veteran, starting level quarterbacks in this league. None of them have come close to Purdy’s production.

Purdy has had three games under 200 yards passing. He’s had one game under 60%. He has had three games under 7 YPA. 13 of his games have been over 8 YPA.

Brock Purdy isn’t some elite all-time great QB, but he’s certainly closer to all-pro than he is career backup.

Consistency is the only thing that separates franchise quarterbacks and backups and Purdy has consistently put up huge numbers. 

The other five are all bad, but Jimmy G's only two mostly healthy seasons did see him put up some pretty good numbers in versions of that offense that did not have Aiyuk and/or CMC. Purdy certainly looks better than Jimmy G but that offense really does help a QB cook more than most.

Edited by Striker

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Being unable to acknowledge Purdy and/or Hurts can play well at this level is just a different flavor of the Love haters.

Who is unable to acknowledge they can play well? I said they weren't true franchise QBs in other situations. Nowhere did I say they were unable to play well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Who is unable to acknowledge they can play well? I said they weren't true franchise QBs in other situations. Nowhere did I say they were unable to play well. 

How do you define a franchise QB if not consistently good play?

How has Purdy not shown he’s a franchise QB potential player?

Considering we see players flash for a week or two or three every single year only to regress (Doubs, Minshew, Winston, Raiders newest QB…)

Doubs is sitting there with a stacked team, too. Franchise LT, great receivers/tight ends.

Other quarterbacks have had stacked offenses. They fizzle out at this point. Purdy is still dominating. Just had 350+ yards, 4 touchdowns and no interceptions in a thorough dismantling of a Super Bowl favorite.

That’s consistency at a high level. That’s every indication of a franchise QB.

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure that I am.

But your argument against Purdy is that the team is just that good, right?

So who would be viewed as a franchise QB in San Fran right now?  You looking for someone who runs better?  Someone who throws with more velocity?

1 minute ago, MacReady said:

How do you define a franchise QB if not consistently good play?

How has Purdy not shown he’s a franchise QB potential player?

Considering we see players flash for a week or two or three every single year only to regress (Doubs, Minshew, Winston, Raiders newest QB…)

Doubs is sitting there with a stacked team, too. Franchise LT, great receivers/tight ends.

Other quarterbacks have had stacked offenses. They fizzle out at this point. Purdy is still dominating. Just had 350+ yards, 4 touchdowns and no interceptions in a thorough dismantling of a Super Bowl favorite.

That’s consistency at a high level. That’s every indication of a franchise QB.

Uh...add to it...he just dismantled the Super Bowl favorites, on their home turf of Philadelphia.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure that I am.

But your argument against Purdy is that the team is just that good, right?

So who would be viewed as a franchise QB in San Fran right now?  You looking for someone who runs better?  Someone who throws with more velocity?

???

Purdy is a franchise QB in San Francisco. Just like Hurts is a franchise QB in Philadelphia.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Uh...add to it...he just dismantled the Super Bowl favorites, on their home turf of Philadelphia.

Two of those TDs and about 100 of those yards did come from Deebo just absolutely outmaneuvering the defense. Credit to Purdy, he put the ball where he needed to. But it's not like those were absurd next level throws/QB domination vs. just the 49ers offense doing all the YAC things it needed.

But it's likely no coincidence that three of his worst games came in both Deebo-less and Williams-less games.

Also, Sam Howell went 39/52 396 yards, 4 TDs against them and his group is so much than the 49ers.

Edited by Striker

Just now, Striker said:

Two of those TDs and about 100 of those yards did come from Deebo just absolutely outmaneuvering the defense. Credit to Purdy, he put the ball where he needed to. But it's not like those were absurd next level throws/QB domination vs. just the 49ers offense doing all the YAC things it needed.

But it's likely no coincidence that three of his worst games came in both Deebo-less and Williams-less games.

His 3rd TD to Jennings, he literally dumped it off and Jennings straight up SONNED the DB to get into the EZ. I mean, Purdy does a lot of stuff well but the last word I'd use to describe his performance yesterday is dismantled. The 49ers offense dismantled the Eagles, yes. Purdy himself? *side-eye*

He does what he has to do and he does it well. That's all you can ask of the kid. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Striker said:

This is the same **** I railed against when people credited Watson with Love’s Philadelphia TD pass.

Receivers and running backs don’t take it 90, 80, 70, 60, 50 yards if their QB doesn't hit them in stride based on the offensive scheme.

You never take away yards from a QB who hit a player in stride.

Ten percent of Favre’s all-time passing numbers came from having elite touch on screen passes.

• Like 2