Camp/OTA News

ET80

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Honestly I have no problem with guys betting on their team to win. It’s when they get on their team to lose that there are issues. 

If betting was limited to Win/Loss, I’d agree. With all of the different lines and props out there, it’s never that simple. Betting the under on a game Indianapolis is slated to win by 10 has implications; He could potentially give up a TD with a 10 point lead just to meet his line. Or putting up a prop bet against an opposing WR - if he’s drawing Nico in coverage and the line is at 55.5 yards, he could bet the over and just let him run free on one play and give up 56 yards. If you’re going to draw a line, it HAS to be on your own team. Let ‘em bet on everything else.

If the NFL was smart (I do question their competency at times) I’d make players bets PUBLIC - because fans will follow their favorite players on just about anything (there is a whole contingency of Kyrie Irving fans who believe the Earth is flat because of him, so…) Imagine the action Ceaser’s would get from KC fans if it was known Pat Mahomes put a few bucks on the KC Royals, or if Buffalo fans knew Josh Allen drafted Yordan Alvarez in daily fantasy baseball…

This is a literal moneymaker for the NFL and it’s newest partners in sports betting - and a quick and easy way to keep players in check on their betting. The average fan doesn’t understand sports betting that well, and following someone with no real tangible knowledge is actually a thing nowadays, so make the bets public and watch people follow their favorite multi millionaire athlete into financial ruin…

44 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If betting was limited to Win/Loss, I’d agree. With all of the different lines and props out there, it’s never that simple. Betting the under on a game Indianapolis is slated to win by 10 has implications; He could potentially give up a TD with a 10 point lead just to meet his line. Or putting up a prop bet against an opposing WR - if he’s drawing Nico in coverage and the line is at 55.5 yards, he could bet the over and just let him run free on one play and give up 56 yards. If you’re going to draw a line, it HAS to be on your own team. Let ‘em bet on everything else.

If the NFL was smart (I do question their competency at times) I’d make players bets PUBLIC - because fans will follow their favorite players on just about anything (there is a whole contingency of Kyrie Irving fans who believe the Earth is flat because of him, so…) Imagine the action Ceaser’s would get from KC fans if it was known Pat Mahomes put a few bucks on the KC Royals, or if Buffalo fans knew Josh Allen drafted Yordan Alvarez in daily fantasy baseball…

This is a literal moneymaker for the NFL and it’s newest partners in sports betting - and a quick and easy way to keep players in check on their betting. The average fan doesn’t understand sports betting that well, and following someone with no real tangible knowledge is actually a thing nowadays, so make the bets public and watch people follow their favorite multi millionaire athlete into financial ruin…

Good point. I agree with all this. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

What's interesting with some of the suspensions... it was because bets placed inside of NFL facilities.... that just seems Mickey Mouse / micromanagement.

I wonder if some were calling friends to place a bet FROM the team facilities... that esp. becomes Big Brother-ish.

On the other hand, if you're a player... wait until you get home or a sports bar or in your car... don't do it in the players' lounge or the lockerroom.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would do it for a conditional 7th. He has Deebo like abilities, but do does Tank...  I was definitely all-in on him prior to draft for late round compensation.

NFL Network’s Mike Garofolo reports the Jets plan on releasing WR Denzel Mims if they can’t trade him in the coming weeks.