2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

I personally would like to keep sitton until training camp if the money works out. Sign Zac Fulton and let the two duke into out. Plus you need a hedge against long not recovering.  If long is healthy and and Fulton takes the job you can cut sitton 

25 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

I personally would like to keep sitton until training camp if the money works out. Sign Zac Fulton and let the two duke into out. Plus you need a hedge against long not recovering.  If long is healthy and and Fulton takes the job you can cut sitton 

Agreed. He was out best OL this year and Long hasn't been  himself the last 2 due to injuries. I love having Long here but Sitton is by far the safer bet to play well IMO.

11 hours ago, bkokot said:

Not sure how I feel about Austin.  I worry that as we think about KC, we will focus too much on "gadget" type players who have a hard time creating for themselves.

If he's cheap and returns kicks, I think I would be in.  As a bottom of the roster WR I think he might surprise and contribute on occasion, but he's not the type of player I want to rely on week in and week out

Oh yeah - I was thinking on a 1-year flyer to be in the mix to be a #4/5, specifically for the occasional splash play from a guy toward the bottom of the roster. I don’t envision him getting a regular role anywhere. 

I’m ready form a aggressive off season in regards to FA. If the Bears make the cuts that most of us expect we could be looking at over 70m in cap space. While like everyone else I understand the importance of drafting well but Pace is in year 4 it’s time to step up to the plate. Last year I listened to him talk about how special players win games and he didn’t back it up and we settled especially at the wr position for a group of underwhelming players. That can’t happen again this is when your pro personnel department earns their money. It is time to target some of the best players that will be FA’s and not just love in the bargain bin IMO.

34 minutes ago, Pdogg said:

I’m ready form a aggressive off season in regards to FA. If the Bears make the cuts that most of us expect we could be looking at over 70m in cap space. While like everyone else I understand the importance of drafting well but Pace is in year 4 it’s time to step up to the plate. Last year I listened to him talk about how special players win games and he didn’t back it up and we settled especially at the wr position for a group of underwhelming players. That can’t happen again this is when your pro personnel department earns their money. It is time to target some of the best players that will be FA’s and not just love in the bargain bin IMO.

There aren’t special players in free agency.

The Bears need to hold onto their own guys and do what they did last year 4-5 starters, but this time sign guys who don’t suck.

24 minutes ago, Pdogg said:

Honestly, I can understand why we had a tough time in FA last season, especially on the offensive side of the ball.  We had a lame duck coach and a terrible projected starting QB in Mike Glennon.  You need to remember that the players have a choice in where they sign, and most won't go to a team they think doesn't have a chance to win just for a little more money.  However, now that we have a promising young QB and an exciting new coaching staff, I wouldn't be surprised to see us get a little bit more love from those FA players this season if we are making competitive offers.

37 minutes ago, bkokot said:

Honestly, I can understand why we had a tough time in FA last season, especially on the offensive side of the ball.  We had a lame duck coach and a terrible projected starting QB in Mike Glennon.  You need to remember that the players have a choice in where they sign, and most won't go to a team they think doesn't have a chance to win just for a little more money.  However, now that we have a promising young QB and an exciting new coaching staff, I wouldn't be surprised to see us get a little bit more love from those FA players this season if we are making competitive offers.

Just to add to your points, I don't think Pace wanted to commit major money to anyone while having Fox and Co there. He had to know Fox was a goner after the season, and not knowing who the HC or staff would be might open us up to a can of worms if the player was a poor fit for the scheme. Then you have to choose between getting a coach to fit the players or hiring a coach and having them change the system to try to fit the expensive options.

Of course if you get a top end prospect that is completely scheme versatile then great, but good luck selling Fox/Loggains/Glennon.

It’s been said that we are not as deep at RB as we think, and with us having bigger needs at OLB, WR, and CB, I think bringing in Jeremy Hill could be a very good move. He isn’t getting a starting job anywhere, he’s physically similar to Howard, and could probably serve as FB which would open up some interesting options in 2RB formations.

9 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

It’s been said that we are not as deep at RB as we think, and with us having bigger needs at OLB, WR, and CB, I think bringing in Jeremy Hill could be a very good move. He isn’t getting a starting job anywhere, he’s physically similar to Howard, and could probably serve as FB which would open up some interesting options in 2RB formations.

Love the idea and agree if howard goes down the season is all but lost.  Cohen is a special change of pace back but not a guy who could start for you for any extended period of time.  If the could get hill at the right price that would be a great move

6 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

Love the idea and agree if howard goes down the season is all but lost.  Cohen is a special change of pace back but not a guy who could start for you for any extended period of time.  If the could get hill at the right price that would be a great move

I’m all for adding a guy who we can be comfortable with as a starting RB in the event that Howard is hurt, but I don’t see Hill as a good choice. Since his rookie year he’s been really underwhelming. 

xvnCXBu.jpg

He’s solid at the goal line, but so are 15 other guys who haven’t averaged 3.6 ypc the past 3 years. We can do better far IMO. 100% agree that we need a legit backup though. 

8 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Hill is not the back he was 2 years ago. He is not old but he doesn't have the power he once had and no speed. The draft is deep at RB. Picking one in R6 or R7 would get the same value for less $$$.

1 hour ago, RTD said:

Hill is not the back he was 2 years ago. He is not old but he doesn't have the power he once had and no speed. The draft is deep at RB. Picking one in R6 or R7 would get the same value for less $$$.

Pace has a penchant it seems for mid and late round HBs as well.

29 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Pace has a penchant it seems for mid and late round HBs as well.

Homerism aside I really like Kalen Ballage for that fit as our backup RB with starter potential. Size and speed, and can catch (82 rec. in college). At 6’3” 230 he was a misfit in the ASU spread-option offense IMO. I think he’s built to be an NFL power back. 

19 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Homerism aside I really like Kalen Ballage for that fit as our backup RB with starter potential. Size and speed, and can catch (82 rec. in college). At 6’3” 230 he was a misfit in the ASU spread-option offense IMO. I think he’s built to be an NFL power back. 

I don't really have that "draft crush" for any RB this year. I had Derrick Henry two years ago and D'Onta Foreman last year, both have flashed REALLY well at times.

This year for later round backs I like Bo Scarborough, Josh Adams, and Rashaad Penny.

The first two show solid power and Penny sets up blocks/runs off blocker's backs better than most starting NFL runners IMO. I'd be fine with any of them in the 4th or 5th.

I'll look up Ballage though. Scarlett was primed to have a big year for my Gators, but he was the idiot paired with Antonio Callaway on the credit card fraud so he also missed the season. I'd give him a shot as an UFA, but wouldn't draft him. He isn't as talented as Callaway, so I won't take the swing for him in a mid-round pick.

EDIT - watching a highlight clip of Ballage and his TD run where he was pushing backwards was ridiculous. He went 20 yards with his back to the endzone vs UCLA. LMAO

37 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I don't really have that "draft crush" for any RB this year. I had Derrick Henry two years ago and D'Onta Foreman last year, both have flashed REALLY well at times.

This year for later round backs I like Bo Scarborough, Josh Adams, and Rashaad Penny.

The first two show solid power and Penny sets up blocks/runs off blocker's backs better than most starting NFL runners IMO. I'd be fine with any of them in the 4th or 5th.

I'll look up Ballage though. Scarlett was primed to have a big year for my Gators, but he was the idiot paired with Antonio Callaway on the credit card fraud so he also missed the season. I'd give him a shot as an UFA, but wouldn't draft him. He isn't as talented as Callaway, so I won't take the swing for him in a mid-round pick.

EDIT - watching a highlight clip of Ballage and his TD run where he was pushing backwards was ridiculous. He went 20 yards with his back to the endzone vs UCLA. LMAO

ASU had him running laterally a lot which at 230 lb largely negates his biggest asset IMO. Get him to the second level moving N-S. 

Archived