2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

Green Bay loves this move because they only draft DBs and DL. They’re super jacked that trading Randall means they’ll have to draft like three more corners to try to replace him.

Their new GM is talking like he’s going to be active in FA - he’d be able to get a solid vet there too. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The Landry trade always seemed like a fall back position for the Bears if they could not and a better WR without having to surrender picks in the process. That being said it was a safety net if free agency did not go well again.

But it is time to make a major move, it is time to close on a big time free agent. You have a 2nd year QB who managed to show promise last season throwing to the worst set of weapons in the NFL, you have a first time HC and a guy who has called 6 games worth of plays. THEY NEED SERIOUS SUPPORT.

I will put my stance down right now, if the Bears fail to land Robinson or Watkins I will look at it as a serious failure on the part of Pace and I think we should all question his ability to land top end free agent talent. The need is there, the resources are there, time to stop shopping in the bargain bin and get some offensive talent to get this thing rolling.

I am done hoping that the 2nd tier B list talent he signs out plays their contract. I do not need to see Trubisky throw one more pass to sun standard or unproven weapons.

I do not care what it costs, I do not care if you have to kidnap one of their mothers, get it done.

I’m not gonna lie Windy as much as I’d be pissed if we missed out on both Watkins and Robinson the meltdown I’d witness here would very much soften the blow. ?‍♂️

For me, I WANT to add Watkins/Robinson and Wilson with a late round rookie. I want to have our WR position set to where there are only depth worries with firmly established young starters ahead of them for the foreseeable future.

BUT, I’d be pleased with adding 2 capable starters and an earlier pick and making a more significant FA investment in another need position. Option 2 gives us 3 players (Meredith included) at WR walking in the door better than anyone we had last year plus a higher round pick, plus a second year Shaheen & Cohen all under a playcaller who actually knows what he’s doing. It lacks the star power of the Watkins/Robinson group but it’s light years ahead of last year’s situation and also sets Mitch up well for both 2018 success and long term growth. 

Solid options are great, but we are trying to develop a young QB, an unproven player caller, and a new HC.

Solid seems like a serious under investment considering where the Bears are at and the number of moving parts on offense.

Better than last year is a pretty pathetic bar. We need Trubisky to take a big step forward, that means the talent around him needs to take a big step.

Just now, WindyCity said:

If in year 4 the Bears are still not seen as a viable option for top free agent talent then that is on Ryan Pace and he deserves to be crushed for it.

Not landing the top guy at a position even if you offer the most money is not grounds for a blind indictment on the GM IMO. I think that’s shortsighted. Players pick teams NOT offering the absolute most money for totally legitimate reasons all the time, like championship contention, weather, proximity to home, state taxes, coaching staff familiarity, chemistry with a QB, etc. If Watkins picks Carolina because it’s warm there and he went to college at Clemson or if Robinson picks Washington because it’s close to Happy Valley or his mom is from there or something like that then what there’s nothing Pace can do about it. He can make the biggest offer and still might not get his man. Not being viable and not being someone’s first choice can be mutually exclusive. 

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Solid options are great, but we are trying to develop a young QB, an unproven player caller, and a new HC.

Solid seems like a serious under investment considering where the Bears are at and the number of moving parts on offense.

Better than last year is a pretty pathetic bar. We need Trubisky to take a big step forward, that means the talent around him needs to take a big step.

Which pro bowl WRs were Goff and Wentz throwing to last year when they made their big steps forward? Alshon was 2 seasons removed from a 1000 season going into last year, and the WR with the biggest resume on the Rams was their 5th most targeted receiver. We’ve already got a legit running game on which he can rely. 

There are a bunch of viable, competent professional receivers available beyond just the top two guys plus others in the draft with whom Mitch can take a big step this year. I don’t remember anyone pegging Robert Woods as a key figure in Goff’s growth going into last year. There are half a dozen guys in FA this year beyond Watkins and Robinson with Robert Woods like resumes.

If Mitch is throwing to Meredith, Wilson, Jordan Matthews, a 2nd round pick like Christian Kirk, Shaheen and Cohen in the passing game in 2018 he’s got a lot to work with. That’s FOUR WR better than his best guy in 2017. That’s full on makeover. He looked competent last year with NOTHING at WR - with actual NFL players he should look better even if he shows no personal growth at all, and I don’t think even his biggest detractor expects that. Getting Watkins or Robinson certainly won’t hurt but not getting one of them isn’t the death sentence for Mitch’s future you’re making it seem to be. 

What would you guys say to taking Suh and his stupid deal if they gave us a 2nd round pick, like when DEN traded Osweiler's contract to CLE?

He is making $26 mil this year, so that definitely sucks something fierce, but seeing him and Hicks flanking Goldman for a year and getting another 2nd rounder would be stellar. Next year he would be a $4 mil dead cap hit or restructure.

IDK, thinking of getting Edmunds and doubling on WRs

1. LB - Edmunds or Landry

2a. WR - Kirk

2b. OLB - Carter

4a.  WR- St. Brown

4b. RT - Cappa

5. HB - Ballage

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

What would you guys say to taking Suh and his stupid deal if they gave us a 2nd round pick, like when DEN traded Osweiler's contract to CLE?

He is making $26 mil this year, so that definitely sucks something fierce, but seeing him and Hicks flanking Goldman for a year and getting another 2nd rounder would be stellar. Next year he would be a $4 mil dead cap hit or restructure.

IDK, thinking of getting Edmunds and doubling on WRs

1. LB - Edmunds or Landry

2a. WR - Kirk

2b. OLB - Carter

4a.  WR- St. Brown

4b. RT - Cappa

5. HB - Ballage

I think I'd feel incredibly bad for anyone going against that front 7...because.... Damn.. 

I'm not super thrilled with the mid rounds since Kirk didn't have the combine I was expecting and I'm just not a fan of EqSB.. Carter would be a nice get however, even if our first rounder was Landry (though is imagine Edmunds makes more sense in this case) ... Rotating those two and Floyd could be some fairly serious pass rush depth... And Floyd and Carter have both shown really solid coverage ability as well.. Seems to be a Georgia thing. 

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Which pro bowl WRs were Goff and Wentz throwing to last year when they made their big steps forward? Alshon was 2 seasons removed from a 1000 season going into last year, and the WR with the biggest resume on the Rams was their 5th most targeted receiver. We’ve already got a legit running game on which he can rely. 

There are a bunch of viable, competent professional receivers available beyond just the top two guys plus others in the draft with whom Mitch can take a big step this year. I don’t remember anyone pegging Robert Woods as a key figure in Goff’s growth going into last year. There are half a dozen guys in FA this year beyond Watkins and Robinson with Robert Woods like resumes.

If Mitch is throwing to Meredith, Wilson, Jordan Matthews, a 2nd round pick like Christian Kirk, Shaheen and Cohen in the passing game in 2018 he’s got a lot to work with. That’s FOUR WR better than his best guy in 2017. That’s full on makeover. He looked competent last year with NOTHING at WR - with actual NFL players he should look better even if he shows no personal growth at all, and I don’t think even his biggest detractor expects that. Getting Watkins or Robinson certainly won’t hurt but not getting one of them isn’t the death sentence for Mitch’s future you’re making it seem to be. 

The Rams and Eagles added Watkins and Alshon.

Who are almost identical to Watkins and Robinson. Robinson is also 2 years removed from a big 1000 yard season and Watkins is Watkins.

Both teams added an above average WR and then a bunch of other guys.

I am not saying the WR core cannot be better without Robinson and Watkins,

I don’t think it is going to be good. With a young QB and essentially a new play caller I want the best possible WR core that my massive pile of money can buy.

Meredith, Matthews, Wilson and Kirk is better, but far from the best that can be accomplished.

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

I think I'd feel incredibly bad for anyone going against that front 7...because.... Damn.. 

I'm not super thrilled with the mid rounds since Kirk didn't have the combine I was expecting and I'm just not a fan of EqSB.. Carter would be a nice get however, even if our first rounder was Landry (though is imagine Edmunds makes more sense in this case) ... Rotating those two and Floyd could be some fairly serious pass rush depth... And Floyd and Carter have both shown really solid coverage ability as well.. Seems to be a Georgia thing. 

I know,  as a person who hasn't liked Suh since he wad in college,  i can't denythat he is dominant.  Setting him and Hicks on the interior of a nickel would be crazy. 

I expected a better combine from Kirk as well but we still need to take results with a grain of salt.  Some of the cuts he makes are incredible,  and he still showcased solid speed.  EQ is a raw talent but is a mismatch nightmare.  He runs pretty well and for 6'5" his route running  is solid too. I think Nagy can utilize that size/ speed mismatch will while scheming his gameplan. 

I'm starting to feel like Edmunds finds a way to be gone by our pick  so I just wanted to list two.  Either way we are getting a massive upgrade. 

Landry - Suh- Hicks - Floyd

Edmunds - Suh- Hicks - Floyd

Carter - Suh - Hicks - Floyd

All look damn good to me.  I jest donut want to have to win shoot outs to win.  We had the 2nd highest PPG under Trestman one year and still found a way to go .500. Don't care to see that nonsense ever again.  Not that I think that could happen under Fangio, but still. 

Free-agent CB Richard Sherman told @JosinaAnderson that he has received preliminary interest from the Titans, Lions, Raiders, Texans, Bucs and Packers. But 49ers are his first visit, with meetings today.

So much for Moon and the big strike.

Archived