2023 Off-Season Thread: Lillard traded to Bucks!!! Jrue rerouted to Celtics!

11sanchez11

3 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

do you think it's a coincidence that the youngest teams in the nba year to year are generally the worst teams in the league and the oldest teams are the ones competing for championships? the youngest team to win a championship in the last 40 years was the 15 warriors and their average age was over 26

if they win 30 games this year and 40 games next year, yes, that's more than enough to keep him happy. if they're winning 40 games a year 3 years after that he'll leave. it's about getting better year by year. teams don't jump from 20 wins to 65 in one offseason because they finally decided to flip a switch. if you continue to lose 60 games a yaer, like i said, your best players will walk. it's why anthony davis left new orleans and it's why giannis didn't leave milwaukee

the pacers have a brand new identity than the team that started the 21-22 season. they moved their all star to build around a new centerpiece, and in his first full season there, at 22, he led them to 35 wins and was an all star. they only have two players left on the team that were there at the start of the season 2 years ago. that's the exact same thing as saying orlando is stuck in mediocrity because they've been bad since dwight left and ignoring that they have a completely different group of young players than they did 2 years ago

have you watched the nba for less than 5 years? it's either that or you're pretending that detroit hasn't done exactly what you've said you would want them do. they chased the 8 seed for 10 years. they finally decided to blow it up and immediately tanked their way to the #1 pick. they tanked. they tanked harder than anybody else. they've been the worst team in the nba by 30 games over the last 4 seasons. how much worse would you like them to be? they've made 8 first round picks in those 4 years. one of them is gone, one sucks, one is a rotational nba player, and the other 5 have played less than a full season. they're going to be bad again. their core players are too young not to be. detroit won 17 games last year, orlando won 34. detroit got the 5th pick, orlando go the 6th pick. detroit could win 30 games and still be the fourth worst team in the league

also this draft sucks. it's not the one to throw away a season for. the extra 4 or 5 wins alec burks and joe harris might help them win don't matter

cade is supposed to be that guy and if he's an all nba type of player they'll be in the playoffs as long as he and the other guys continue to get better. if he's not then they'll see if one of the other guys is and if it's worth building around him. otherwise they'll blow it up again

you prefer the okc approach of trading two hall of famers in their prime and getting back, what, like 8 first round picks? instead of the detroit approach where they move on from their two franchise players and get back $60 million in dead money and the expiring contracts of brandon knight and john henson? that's brave

Ok you win. Detroit’s blueprint is the way to go. Enjoy that title run!

6 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Ok you win. Detroit’s blueprint is the way to go. Enjoy that title run!

detroit's blueprint of doing exactly what you said you would want your team to do?

if the facts got your brain twisted, that sounds like a you problem

38 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Neither does Boston. Who would they send? Their draft capital is weak & they aren’t gonna part with Brown or Tatum. 

Truth.  Draft capital from those franchises is meh, since it will likely be later picks.  The Heat IMO would be more likely to fall off after a couple of years once Butler and Dame age out.  But the players involved aren't great from any contender because they won't give up a key piece as that defeats the purpose of getting Dame.  In any trade, it likely will be helpful to add a 3rd team who is willing to take on salary or dump salary with some picks in order to get Portland proper comp. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Truth.  Draft capital from those franchises is meh, since it will likely be later picks.  The Heat IMO would be more likely to fall off after a couple of years once Butler and Dame age out.  But the players involved aren't great from any contender because they won't give up a key piece as that defeats the purpose of getting Dame.  In any trade, it likely will be helpful to add a 3rd team who is willing to take on salary or dump salary with some picks in order to get Portland proper comp. 

Yea. If Brooklyn wants to offer the Suns' picks, I say you go for that. Brooklyn doesn't control their own picks for the next few years, so they have no reason to tank. Might as well go for it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Yea. If Brooklyn wants to offer the Suns' picks, I say you go for that. Brooklyn doesn't control their own picks for the next few years, so they have no reason to tank. Might as well go for it.

That likely means taking on Simmons for Portland which I am not sure they are interested in.  But a team with Lillard, Bridges and Cam Johnson is a pretty solid team in the East and the best supporting cast Dame has played with most likely. 

On 7/11/2023 at 1:54 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

Uhhhh no? I think the Rockets moves were dumber than the Pistons moves.

I don’t agree that you need vets amidst a rebuild. Once you have a good roster, sure. The Pistons moves seemed to me like they were trying to win this year…at least, to make the playoffs. Which they still aren’t going to do despite their moves. I just think they’re better off tanking another year with young pups & using their resources next year. 

Because of Joe Harris and Monte Morris? Are you serious?

Bad teams use their cap space to take on bad contracts and collect assets. That's what Detroit did.

On 7/11/2023 at 1:58 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

To me, they should be grinding with their young dudes to either hit on some of these dudes or be terrible. They’re not the only NBA team that does things like this. I just feel like they’re best off doing what the Cavs did. Go stupid young & suck until you can move a bunch of pieces for a superstar that fits with your young core. Or draft that superstar if you get lotto luck. 

And then lose in 5 games to the Knicks?

Detroit has not made a single move this off-season that keeps a trade like that from happening.

If you don't like their young guys then fine, but that's a completely different discussion. They have done exactly like what you are describing.

18 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Neither does Boston. Who would they send? Their draft capital is weak & they aren’t gonna part with Brown or Tatum. 

Brogdon, Robert Williams and a ton of 1sts and 2nds is like… significantly more than the Heat are offering.

32 minutes ago, Kingram said:

Brogdon, Robert Williams and a ton of 1sts and 2nds is like… significantly more than the Heat are offering.

Maybe. Either way, none of these packages offered are appealing to me if I’m Portland. They need a SF or a good young C. None of the teams in question have that…that are willing to part with those guys. Even without Lillard, the Trail Blazers have a bunch of 6’1-6’5 guards. They need size at the wing. Jovic from Miami has that, but he’s not currently worth a dime, letalone a dame. Idk…I feel like Portland is gonns get a ham sandwich for what they should be getting in Lillard.

If I were Portland, I would at least want to dump salary to rebuild, not take on some other bad contract to facilitate a trade. Even though that looks inevitable at this rate. 

1 hour ago, Kingram said:

Herro > Brodgon
Robinson and Jaquez/Jovic = Williams (I'd give the edge to MIA)
Heat will be offering a ton of 1sts/2nds too, just not for a few years. 

I'm assuming Herro's contract is what makes that significantly more? Portland would be shipping him to a 3rd team anyway. 

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

Herro > Brodgon
Robinson and Jaquez/Jovic = Williams (I'd give the edge to MIA)
Heat will be offering a ton of 1sts/2nds too, just not for a few years. 

I'm assuming Herro's contract is what makes that significantly more? Portland would be shipping him to a 3rd team anyway. 

Portland doesn’t even want Herro. They’d probably redirect Brogdon as well. I’m taking Williams pretty easily. He’s a DPOY caliber C on a very reasonable contract. 

7 minutes ago, Kingram said:

Portland doesn’t even want Herro. They’d probably redirect Brogdon as well. I’m taking Williams pretty easily. He’s a DPOY caliber C on a very reasonable contract. 

But if they don't want Herro or Brogdon but could get a better return for Herro, that package would be more appealing to them. 

I do really like Williams so I'll concede on that one although I think it's pretty close and could go either way. Regardless, I don't see how that offer is "significantly" more than a Herro centric offer. 

20 minutes ago, JonStark said:

But if they don't want Herro or Brogdon but could get a better return for Herro, that package would be more appealing to them. 

I do really like Williams so I'll concede on that one although I think it's pretty close and could go either way. Regardless, I don't see how that offer is "significantly" more than a Herro centric offer. 

The Celtics can offer significantly more draft capital