Why aren't there Kicker-Punters?

Tetsujin

3 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

I believe the Cowboys liked McAfee coming out of the draft and told him they thought he could potentially handle FGs, XPs, Punts, and Kickoffs. Not that they'd actually try it, but that he had the talent.

He didn’t do kickoffs in college, said he’d never tried them in practice either other than ******* around. 

but he still told every team he practiced all the time and was totally capable, lied through his teeth and figured once they drafted him he’d figure it out lol

I do side with McAfee somewhat… he was pretty athletic and had the tools to be an excellent trick play weapon for the right ST coach. He could’ve had a really unique special career, rather than just a damn good one.

Edited by Dome

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Fun fact: His son destroyed our secondary like it were a joke in my first season with our school. Destroyed. Toughest WR we had to game plan for & we’ve faced some stud D1 kids. 

I don’t doubt it. Craig Krenzel’s son just committed to Tennessee for baseball. We are getting old man.

9 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

I believe the Cowboys liked McAfee coming out of the draft and told him they thought he could potentially handle FGs, XPs, Punts, and Kickoffs. Not that they'd actually try it, but that he had the talent.

McAfee did do kickoffs for the Colts, along with punting. Nowadays he wears muscle shirts and has a dumb look on his face when interviewing people.

All kickers would be there teams 2nd best punter most likely and all punters are likely there teams 2nd best kicker. 

In rugby and rugby league most teams primary place kicker will usually handle a lot of there phntjng duties to, though a lot his is spread across 3 positions. 

1. Would you rather a better 6th string linebacker or 4th string running back or a punter who is better than your teams kicker/punter by an average of 2 yards? Or has more punts than the kicker punter. 

2. It's uniform across the league that your ls/p/k work as a group. You would have to reinvent that. I would not want a holder who is frequently injured. Kicking is a mental game you can't have those losing trust in their holder. 

3. Injury. 

So I think you guys are looking at this in a positive light...much like the Chargers and their 4th down decisions, it may be the right decision to go for it/save the roster spot BUT once your K/P misses a makable FG or drops/shanks a punt, the first thing that will be said is "Wonder if this would've happened if he focused all his energy on 1 job?"