Training Camp 2023

Acgott

Adoree Jackson spent the entire practice today as the 1st team slot corner. I think the Giants may actually roll out 2 rookie corners on the outside to start the year, which is nuts. With how bad Flott and Darnay Holmes have looked this preseason though, can you argue against Hawkins/Banks on the outside and Adoree in the slot as the best starting trio of corners?

The Seahawks started Tariq Woolen, a 5th round rookie, all 16 games last year and Coby Bryant, a 4th round rookie, started a few games as well. It worked out pretty well for them.

Updated 53-man projection after Preseason Week 1:

OFFENSE:

QB(2): Daniel Jones, Tyrod Taylor

RB(4): Saquon Barkley, Matt Breida, Eric Gray, Jashaun Corbin

WR (7): Darius Slayton, Isaiah Hodgins, Parris Campbell, Sterling Shepard, Cole Beasley, Wan'Dale Robinson, Jalin Hyatt

TE(3): Darren Waller, Daniel Bellinger, Tommy Sweeney

OT(4): Andrew Thomas, Evan Neal, Matt Peart, Tyre Phillips

iOL(5): John Michael Schmitz, Ben Bredeson, Mark Glowinski, Josh Ezeudu, Marcus McKethan

DEFENSE:

iDL(6): Dexter Lawrence, Leonard Williams, A'Shawn Robinson, Rakeem Nunes-Roches, Jordon Riley, DJ Davison

EDGE(4): Kayvon Thibodeaux, Azeez Ojulari, Jihad Ward, Tomon Fox

ILB(4): Bobby Okereke, Micah McFadden, Darrian Beavers, Cam Brown

CB(5): Adoree Jackson, Deonte Banks, Tre Hawkins, Cordale Flott, Darnay Holmes

S(6): Xavier McKinney, Jason Pinnock, Dane Belton, Bobby McCain, Nick McCloud, Gervarrius Owens

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K(1): Graham Gano

P(1): Jamie Gillan

LS(1): Casey Kreiter

NOTES:

- The nickel CB spot is having cascading effects on the roster. For example, I think the emergence of Pinnock and Belton would have knocked Bobby McCain off the team but now, he may make it to help in the slot. Carrying 6 safeties is a lot but McCain and Nick McCloud are going to be asked to be swiss army knives in this defense. Aaron Robinson still being out is a real shame here. He could have retaken that nickel CB spot based on how the others have played but the dude is simply not reliable and he's pretty much already out of time to trust there. 

- The EDGE/ILB spots are a little light in part because of the 6th safety but also the 7th WR. The common assumption at WR is the Wan'Dale would start the season on the PUP and injuries would essentially figure that position out. With Schoen saying he expects Wan'Dale back next week, that changes things. I guess it's still possible that Beasley or Shep are cut but I just don't see that happening. 

- Tommy Sweeney making it over Cager and Myarick is not a reaction to the TD. I just think they prefer a more traditional TE as TE3 than Cager is and Myarick was a holdover from the old regime. TE3 is really a toss-up and I'd love to carry four but again, that nickel CB spot is mucking some things up.

- I think it's possible they go with only 3 RBs because I think they can get Corbin to the PS again but I decided to just keep him in this scenario because I think 4 RBs is a safer bet. Brightwell's value is pretty much completely diminished thanks to Eric Gray.

- Darnay is not long for this roster. A CB is coming from the outside and will knock him off this team. 

1 hour ago, GMENNATION said:

- Tommy Sweeney making it over Cager and Myarick is not a reaction to the TD. I just think they prefer a more traditional TE as TE3 than Cager is and Myarick was a holdover from the old regime. TE3 is really a toss-up and I'd love to carry four but again, that nickel CB spot is mucking some things up.

I hope you're right about this. The assumption all training camp has been that Cager is going to be the 3rd TE, and that he is a Darren Waller-lite type player. I think Cager is not even close to the level of player Waller is though, and if Waller is hurt, I'd rather have a WR get his snaps than Cager. I think a more traditional TE is a better fit for the 3rd TE as well.

The EDGE room being 4 guys would scare me a lot, especially with Azeez's injury history. I know at this point in the season that we aren't improving anywhere too much, but I hope we find some waiver guys to claim at EDGE for those depth positions. Same goes for corner; we need slot corners who can actually play.

I think we are absolutely loaded at the S position, especially considering that it isn't a premium position. I think you're right that, with McCloud's and McCain's versatility, we may carry as many as 6 safeties on the initial 53. McKinney, Pinnock, Belton are locks, I'm pretty sure McCain and McCloud are locks, and Owens has done everything you'd want to see a late round secondary guy do. They all deserve to make it.

Art has McCain out on his roster from last week. A big thing is that both him and Holmes do not play special teams. I think we can assume that none of our 7 receivers will play special teams, so it needs to come from our secondary. Brightwell and Love combined for about 500 ST snaps ( 3rd and 4th most). If neither is our backup slot or backup safety, we should replace them.

Who makes it: Xavier McKinney, Jason Pinnock, Dane Belton, Nick McCloud, Gervarrius Owens

Practice squad: None

Out: Bobby McCain, Alex Cook

Breakdown: This group seems set. McCain has had his share of ups and downs, but he did play particularly well against the Lions in the joint practices. He's on the bubble. McKinney and Pinnock should be the starting pairing with Belton and McCloud also getting reps on defense this season.

https://t.co/NeznNkcK6g

If Bobby McCain doesn't make the cut and we run with those 6, we'd have an insanely young S group. McCloud would be the oldest at 25 years old. McKinney and Pinnock are 24, Belton is 22, and Owens is 23.

Hell, we'd have an insanely young secondary altogether. Adoree would be the oldest, and he's 29 and on the last year of his contract. Hawkins is 23, Banks is 22, Flott is 21, and Holmes is 25.

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Hell, we'd have an insanely young secondary altogether. Adoree would be the oldest, and he's 29 and on the last year of his contract. Hawkins is 23, Banks is 22, Flott is 21, and Holmes is 25.

Adoree turns 28 next month. Giants talking extension with him. Makes sense has he has the third highest cap hit this year $19M.

https://x.com/dduggan21/status/1691489884685451264?s=61&t=tus03feDbRZ35nlWoHPPOA

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Adoree turns 28 next month. Giants talking extension with him. Makes sense has he has the third highest cap hit this year $19M.

https://x.com/dduggan21/status/1691489884685451264?s=61&t=tus03feDbRZ35nlWoHPPOA

Having extension talks with your proven, #1 corner sounds like a good idea. If you hit on Banks and Hawkins, you've got another 2 corners for dirt cheap for the next 4/5 years as well.

• Like 1