Training Camp General Discussion

AZBearsFan

1 minute ago, Bigbear72 said:

Don't mind @JibjeResearch. His research is hallucinogenics. Apparently he is really good at it. 

Lol.

Word seems to be Smith and Stevenson splitting reps with the 1s opposite JJ, and they’ve openly been impressed with Stevenson. Both guys showing to be legit boundary corner options would be a GREAT problem to have. 

• Like 1

Okay here are my 8-1 notes:

• Roschon, Blasingame and Nate Davis weren't dressed.  
  •  Linemen drills were far away and I didn't watch LOS that much during team.   I will say when I went to camp in 2019 the Oline was a mess.  Every single Dlinemen beat every single Olinemen on nearly every rep.   Long was a mess and had a meltdown.  It was horrible.  That definitely wasn't case today.   
  • I will say what I noticed was pretty mixed, Oline won some Dline won some.   Nate Davis wasn't out there that I saw.  So guards were being rotated quite a bit.
  • Edmunds is biggest off ball LB I have ever seen.  He is bigger than Urlacher.   He looks like he should be playing DE.
  • Mooney looks healthy and 100%.   He looked good in individual drills.
  • DJ Moore is noticeably best WR out there.
  • St. Brown is very big.   Bigger than you think.  But he just doesn't get separation.  It's always contested catch.  
  • Some kid named Daurice Fountain is out there at WR.  He is also very big and looked good in individual drills and good when targeted in team.  Someone to keep an eye on.  Some talent there.  May be a practice squad guy.
  •  
  • Stevenson is a big physical corner.
  • Terrell Smith surprised me.  He made a number of plays.   I think he is absolutely competing for the starting job opposite Jaylon Johnson with Stevenson.  I would say he outplayed Stevenson today.  
  • Sewell made some nice plays in drills.

Team notes:

On first play of team Justin hit DJ on time for a long play probably a TD.   That was biggest highlight of day.

TJ Edwards blew somebody up on a red zone run inside 5.  He pulled up too.  But the collision was still fierce.  RB went backwards.  Nearly caused a fight.  Can't remember which back it was.  I want to say it was either Homer or Ebner.

I would say TJ Edwards looked best of all our LBs today overall.    

Justin was targeting Claypool all day.  It was weird, because Claypool wasn't really open much.  Justin was definitely doing something purposely.  Building his confidence or trying to pump him up.  Something.  

Claypool had some balls hit his hands he didn't catch.  On one play he tipped it up and it was picked.  

You are going to see some highlights on twitter and I posted one.  But that isn't really the story if you were there and watching closely like I was.  Justin was staring him down and targeting him.

Mooney and DJ didn't get targeted hardly at all in team.  

They put Mooney at RB one play and they matched him with a LB, it wasn't Edmunds, but not sure who it was.   It was easy TD.

Tyler Scott was one on one for a play and was open by 10 yards the whole route.  Fields hit him on a bomb.  Scott is ridiculously fast.   He is going to be good.  Here is clip:

Brisker had a sweet INT sprinting across field on a deep ball.  

Defense definitely won the day.  Though offense still had a number of chunk plays.

It was not a great day overall for offense or for Fields and Walker..   Fields and Walker were just late on throws all day.  Just kept happening.  Holding ball, staring down receivers and running out of time.   Offense was not operating on time at all.   Just being honest.

Only QB who looked consistently good on a full drive all day was Peterman on last drive of day against many of 3rd string and he ended it on an easy dropped pick in endzone.

Edited by dll2000

More notes coming to mind. 

Tonyan looks like a better, smoother WR than Kmet.   Tonyan looks like a tall, big WR when he is playing.    Kmet is much thicker and stronger looking.   Much more physical body.  More of a classic TE build.  

Neither one were targeted that much today.  Tonyan was open a lot quick, but Fields wasn't looking at him.  Tonyan gets better separation than Kmet.  

If Fields was playing on time and in rhythm I believe Tonyan would have had a big day.  He was holding the ball a lot waiting for Claypool to get open.

Homer is short, but he is very well built.  Very muscular.  He had an easy TD on a check down.

Other than one run by Herbert, running backs really did very little of note.

• Like 1

Bagent got hardly any reps at all for anyone wondering.

He got 4 plays or so and some individual drill reps.

Reps went Fields and Walker then Peterman.  And a few scraps for Bagent.

Walker got a lot of reps for a back up.  It was nearly split with Fields.   It was really hot though.  

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I thought he was just a rookie UDFA.   No wonder he looked so good.   

I think maybe he had some injuries? I believe he was drafted same year as WR Deon Cain who definitely had a lot of injuries for Colts. But I think Fountain has started some NFL games. Could be someone to watch to displace Pettis or St. Brown.

EDIT: Just checked. Fountain was 2018 R5 pick of Colts, Cain R6 2018 pick of Colts (Cain is now fighting to make the Eagles)

Edited by chisoxguy7
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

I think maybe he had some injuries? I believe he was drafted same year as WR Deon Cain who definitely had a lot of injuries for Colts. But I think Fountain has started some NFL games. Could be someone to watch to displace Pettis or St. Brown.

EDIT: Just checked. Fountain was 2018 R5 pick of Colts, Cain R6 2018 pick of Colts (Cain is now fighting to make the Eagles)

He's real big and fast.  Didn't get targeted much in team drills or 7 on 7.  Looked good in individual drills.  

Someone to watch.