Training Camp General Discussion

AZBearsFan

On 8/5/2023 at 10:41 AM, AZBearsFan said:

Betting on Brisker being a vet day - nothing was said by anyone yesterday with him meeting with trainers or leaving the field or anything. As for Sanborn, he’s a fan favorite and I think he’s solid enough but he’s also the most expendable starter we have on defense IMO. He’s only gonna play a third of the snaps anyway, and he lacks Sewell’s upside. He’s very Nick Kwiatkowski-ish to me. 

Brisker is out again today, as is Nate Davis (again)

20 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

To make matters worse, there were a couple of apparent injuries during Sunday’s practice. Offensive lineman Lucas Patrick, filling in for an injured Nate Davis, was examined in the blue tent and walked to the locker room.

Elsewhere, it appeared safety Eddie Jackson took himself off the field after he tweaked something. Jackson was spotted on the sideline but without a helmet. It’s something to monitor moving forward, especially as Jaquan Brisker is already sidelined.

52 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think it is a legitimate complaint to say Fields often holds ball too long or doesn’t process his reads fast enough.  

To say he can’t throw or isn’t accurate is just ridiculous and willfully ignores evidence.  

I don't think that anyone serious has said he cannot throw. It does seem like the hanging on to the ball too long may be a forever thing, coupled with being slightly to very slow on moving through progressions. It remains to be seen if his great deep ball, athleticism, and general feel for getting out on the move are enough to make him a credible passer as well as the wonderful running QB he turned into last year. The way the practices have been geared, at least the offensive game plan, it seems like they're trying to give him lots of opportunities to take dump offs or short and intermediate throws, which seems like a great plan. I'm not sure what else you can do to try and develop that part of his game more thoroughly. What other QBs have had that drawback and gone on to be good to great?

Gervon Dexter reportedly still SOB so it isn’t an instant fix getting him out of the sit back and read the play style he had at Florida. Hopefully it’s something he can get to a more consistent level because what erased him as a top end DT in the draft was his snap response speed. 

50 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I don't think that anyone serious has said he cannot throw. It does seem like the hanging on to the ball too long may be a forever thing, coupled with being slightly to very slow on moving through progressions. It remains to be seen if his great deep ball, athleticism, and general feel for getting out on the move are enough to make him a credible passer as well as the wonderful running QB he turned into last year. The way the practices have been geared, at least the offensive game plan, it seems like they're trying to give him lots of opportunities to take dump offs or short and intermediate throws, which seems like a great plan. I'm not sure what else you can do to try and develop that part of his game more thoroughly. What other QBs have had that drawback and gone on to be good to great?

I think for everyone that comes with reps and experience with concepts.   You need to run a play against all different types of defenses a 1000x and then the read and progression just becomes much easier.   This is problem with switching coordinators and offenses.  You go back squares and you don't get true evaluation.  

Other issue is we aren't all dealt same deck of cards.   Some people can process information really fast in an athletic and/or moving situation and others can't. Or they can't as good as others can or as good as necessary to compete at a certain level of competition.  

Why some people are great QBs or fighter pilots or whatever and others aren't.  It is a type of talent.   For everyone it still needs to be developed with reps and experience.  No one can naturally be a fighter pilot without training and reps, and more reps and better training will make you better.     But some will be naturally better at it than others.  

It isn't fair to judge Justin yet (for us) because he hasn't had sufficient reps in one scheme.   Even last year he didn't get a chance to run many concepts live since they couldn't adequately protect or get open.    They had to introduce more run concepts at expense of repping passing concepts. 

His coaches might already know since they spend so much time with him.  But there is no way for us to know.   

All I know is he isn't quite there yet.   Which is to be expected.   And he has the physical talent, which to me is obvious and has been since college.

I do already see big improvements in camp over last year.   Big.  

39 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think for everyone that comes with reps and experience with concepts.   You need to run a play against all different types of defenses a 1000x and then the read and progression just becomes much easier.   This is problem with switching coordinators and offenses.  You go back squares and you don't get true evaluation.  

Other issue is we aren't all dealt same deck of cards.   Some people can process information really fast in an athletic and/or moving situation and others can't. Or they can't as good as others can or as good as necessary to compete at a certain level of competition.  

Why some people are great QBs or fighter pilots or whatever and others aren't.  It is a type of talent.   For everyone it still needs to be developed with reps and experience.  No one can naturally be a fighter pilot without training and reps, and more reps and better training will make you better.     But some will be naturally better at it than others.  

It isn't fair to judge Justin yet (for us) because he hasn't had sufficient reps in one scheme.   Even last year he didn't get a chance to run many concepts live since they couldn't adequately protect or get open.    They had to introduce more run concepts at expense of repping passing concepts. 

His coaches might already know since they spend so much time with him.  But there is no way for us to know.   

All I know is he isn't quite there yet.   Which is to be expected.   And he has the physical talent, which to me is obvious and has been since college.

I do already see big improvements in camp over last year.   Big.  

Progress is all we should expect, and by all accounts we’re seeing that. And really, without knowing what his reads are on a given play it’s always going to require some projection by the observer. Just because we can see it from a TV or All-22 view doesn’t mean he’s at that point in his progression or even should be at that point in his progression yet.

• Like 1

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Progress is all we should expect, and by all accounts we’re seeing that. And really, without knowing what his reads are on a given play it’s always going to require some projection by the observer. Just because we can see it from a TV or All-22 view doesn’t mean he’s at that point in his progression or even should be at that point in his progression yet.

This is not specific to Fields but all QBs btw. 

• Like 1