Most Underrated Player in the NFL?

HerbertGOAT

On 8/5/2023 at 6:48 PM, Daniel said:

Jeff Simmons would have been up there this time last year, but I think people are generally aware of him.

Denico Autry is the one on the Titans that jumps out right now.

i hate that the Raiders let him go and have been needing DL help since. 

20 hours ago, Trojan said:

Cardinals - Josh Jones, ESPN doesn't have him even projected to start but he was good last year. He just might be LT exclusive and DJ Humphries is blocking him.

Vikings - Christian Darrisaw, he's a top LT in the league and probably roughly 4th so few talk about him. Basically young version of Kolton Miller selection. Slow start for injury and then concussion keep him out of people's mind I guess.

Saints - Cameron Jordan, he's old and never talked amongst the top DEs but he's constantly hovering around that next tier. With a weak NFC South I think he may pop and get a late in career best year type year.

Bills - Dion Dawkins, I feel like he is significantly better than the rest of their line and no one cares.

Such a good post.

Agreed on Josh Jones, but they also drafted Paris Johnson. Johnson is their future at the position and may start this year at RT, but Jones is a really good left tackle. Unfortunately, the team has too many LTs and none of them can play IOL well, which has been the OL's weakness for years. 

I'd also throw in Kelvin Beachum. He's been an above average starting tackle his whole career and nobody really ever pays him. I mean, he gave the Cardinals bottom of the top 10 RT play and they pay him, what, like 3 million a year? He's older now but dang. Dude was also a team captain with the Jets and Jags. 

Darrisaw, Jordan, and Dawkins are all criminally underrated.

On 8/6/2023 at 11:06 AM, Jeezla said:

Matt Ioannidas always seems to play above average, and he's currently a free agent that will probably end up getting paid peanuts, assuming he's healthy. I'd like the Eagles to sign him if he is healthy.

Josh Allen the DE and Jaelan Phillips feel underrated to me. They are kinda like Brandon Graham. The sack numbers don't jump, but they are always getting pressure, and they also play the run well.

I think Phillips is on the verge of breaking out and being an elite guy. The talent is all there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

If anything, he's overrated. Very solid dual-threat back but not really a game-changer. Out of his 38 TDs in the past 2 years, probably 10 were more than 10 yards.

Falls in the category of a guy that used to be underappreciated, but has morphed into a guy that has become overrated due to gaudy stats.  He's a bit of a byproduct of the offense he plays in.

• Like 1

Seahawks - It's probably still Geno, he was absolutely fantastic last year.

Yeah, probably. This is the Geno I thought we'd see when he was in college in 2012. Nice to see he's finally starting to ball out.

Steelers - James Daniels I think might qualify he's a solid plus guard on a previously bad line that got some youth injected. I think the Steelers OL takes a massive leap this year and Daniels will be the Steeler vet holding it together. Seumalo is probably better and has the young LT next to him, but the left side is upgraded and new. I think Daniels gets some respect next to his name if the right side holds up.

That whole Steelers line is underrated right now.

Bengals - Trey Hendrickson, he's a very good edge on a very good defense that is constantly overlooked because it plays opposite such a great offense. I think Trey in particular is just shy of the superstar tier and therefore is never at the forefront of people's minds.

Beast.

Lions - Frank Ragnow, maybe the 3rd best center in the league, but because he isn't Kelce or Humphrey no one cares about centers. He's exceptional though.

Agreed. Dude is so good.

Falcons - Mack Hollins, he's new to the team and it's a run first offense, but I think Mack Hollins is going to be a real player this year. He was a surprise captain I think for the Raiders last year and then had a huge body build this offseason joining the Falcons. He's had moments with the Dolphins before that and I think it's all coming together for him as a real WR2 on a team no one thinks of their WR2.

IDK. Hollins probably only gets 55% of the offensive snaps in 2023 with Patterson and Robinson and Jonnu eating into some of his snap counts.

Buccaneers - This team is so bad, but has stars. I think the least overrated star is Winfield Jr or Vita Vea.

Meh. 

Saints - Cameron Jordan, he's old and never talked amongst the top DEs but he's constantly hovering around that next tier. With a weak NFC South I think he may pop and get a late in career best year type year.

Dude is a future Hall of Famer.

Panthers - Derrick Brown, he's one of the best DTs in football but took a minute to get there after being a top prospect.

Beast. So damn good.

Jaguars - Calvin Ridley or Tyson Campbell, Campbell is quietly one of the better corners in the league, but Ridley is a star WR that's been out of the spot light for a year and got a QB upgrade.

Ridley is so good but needed to get his head right.

Giants - Kayvon Thibodeuax, you can't stack that good of a DL in front of him entering year 2 and not expect a top 10 edge breakout and I don't think anyone would put him as a top 10 edge right now.

Totally agreed. Kayvon 10 sacks this year.

Jets - Corey Davis. I think he holds onto a starting gig and thrives if healthy. I think most expected him not to still be here, so it's starting from no expectation, but I think he'll thrive.

Really? I totally thought he was getting cut this offseason.

Miami - Tua, there are too many doubters. He's top 10 QB and hyper efficient. His release and accuracy with a team of YAC generators is such a good fit. If not Tua, then Phillips who also has concussion issues in his past, but stacks up so many pressures it's crazy.

Agreed.