Shanahan: Rivers was an option for the Superbowl

Manny/Patrick

22 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

BTW mini sidebar: If one looks up Fairhope, Alabama pretty much all the photos show the city/town as abandoned. Kind of unsettling. 

That’s how towns look before Rivers populates them. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Soko said:

Did you read the article?

Long before the San Francisco 49ers ran out of healthy QBs in their NFCCG loss to the Eagles, they had been making contingency plans for the position had they advanced to the Super Bowl.

“Now that’s stuff we talked about throughout the whole year…that was the plan most of the year.”

As I said, the likeliest explanation is that they were keeping in touch with Rivers as an emergency plan in case Jimmy went down, since they probably expected Purdy to play like you'd expect a rookie Mr. Irrelevant to if thrown into the fire. Then Purdy balls out against the Dolphins and Bucs and they decide they'd be better off just rolling with him, so the Rivers plan gets tossed until Purdy himself goes down in the NFC Championship. They obviously weren't going to go 8-0 with him and then bench him in the Super Bowl, that would be insane

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 8:37 PM, Manny/Patrick said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38169634/philip-rivers-was-49ers-qb-contingency-plan-super-bowl-kyle-shanahan-says

obviously the 9ers lost, but let’s play devils advocate and say the Defense clamped up and the 49ers won 10-7. Would you be rooting for Rivers? The Chiefs would still win? What statline do you think Rivers would put up in the Super Bowl?

The 49ers were down 21-7 when Josh Johnson got hurt.

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

The 49ers were down 21-7 when Josh Johnson got hurt.

Should have been 14-7 if Johnson didn't botch a perfect snap and pull a Cam instead of diving on it, and the second TD drive itself was caused by the defense shooting themselves in the foot with dumb penalties. Not too hard to imagine it being 7-7 by the time Johnson had his concussion, though by then I imagine the defense would be gassed anyways and the game would have started to fall apart at some point

Edited by jonnguy2015

Very confused as to how this was even the thought process in the middle of an NFCCG where they were on the verge of getting blown out, and eventually did get blown out. They were never winning that game when Purdy went out. But had Josh Johnson pulled it out of the fire, I could have seen them bringing in Rivers, given his experience against KC.

18 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Very confused as to how this was even the thought process in the middle of an NFCCG where they were on the verge of getting blown out, and eventually did get blown out. They were never winning that game when Purdy went out. But had Josh Johnson pulled it out of the fire, I could have seen them bringing in Rivers, given his experience against KC.

Based on what Shanahan said earlier it seems like it was an offhand thought at some point in the first half, when things were still looking close until the Johnson fumble

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/49ers-had-philip-rivers-in-mind-to-possibly-start-in-super-bowl-if-team-rallied-past-eagles-in-nfc-title-game/

After seeing Purdy go down with an elbow injury in the first half, a lot of thoughts started running through Shanahan's mind. 

"I still thought we were going to win the game," Shanahan said. "Whole thing, I'm just thinking is, 'Man, I hope Brock's not as bad as they're saying and what's going to be our Plan B? Are we going to have to get Philip Rivers, someone like that, for the Super Bowl?' Because that's what I'm thinking."

Edited by jonnguy2015