Bucky Brooks: Ingram and Kamara are the best RB duo ever

Dome

Ingram and Kamara are on pace to combine for more than 3,000 scrimmage yards and 25 touchdowns this season. Since 1970, that feat has been accomplished by exactly one RB duo: O.J. Simpson and Jim Braxton of the 1975 Buffalo Bills

Ingram and Kamara are also on pace to become the first backfield tandem ever to each have 1,500-plus scrimmage yards in a single season -- Ingram's slated for 1,535, while Kamara's on pace for 1,591. Considering they're already the first RB teammates to each have 1,000-plus scrimmage yards through Week 12 since Earnest Byner and Kevin Mack of the 1985 Cleveland Browns, the Saints' 1-2 punch at running back deserves to be placed on a pedestal as one of the truly rare combinations in football.

The term "G.O.A.T." (greatest of all time) is loosely thrown around these days, but Mark Ingram and Alvin Kamara deserve the horns as the most explosive backfield combination in NFL history.

While some observers will view that statement as a "prisoner of the moment" proclamation, I truly believe we haven't seen an RB tandem capable of matching the collective playmaking skills of the New Orleans Saints' dynamic duo.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000886077/article/mark-ingram-alvin-kamara-best-duo-ever-qb-conundrums

Read this article yesterday, honestly not sure how I feel about it. I love Mark but I don't think he's that special. Good, yes, great even, but not elite. Our OL makes him look better than he is, which once again, is not an insult to him, just meaning that he's not elite. So that instantly made me disagree. Then I thought about it, and how many RB duos have had 2 ELITE running backs? Probably none, so since this is best RB DUO and I do think Kamara is special, it opens it back up. 

Honestly... wouldn't disagree. I think they may be. And then if you add the OL in there and say we have the greatest 2 headed running game ever, then I'd agree even more. 

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Ingram’s really talented but he’s not flashy. I’m happy to have him doing the heavy lifting while keeping Kamara fresh. Ingram’s a great compliment to Kamara. 

Agree on all points. Like Worm pointed out in another thread, Ingram does a great job pounding the defense and wearing them down. Not only that, but he can also catch out of the backfield and is a great pass blocker. He's definitely not flashy, but dude gets it done.

Archived