Week 2 Preseason GDT: Jim Schwartz and the Brownies @ The Philadelphia Eagles

TheRealMcCoy

Just now, Scoundrel said:

My response tbh was sarcasm. That’s why it was just a simple no. JD is being asked to fill a specific role. He has all the physical ability to rush the passer. I wouldn’t be too concerned.

I'd be more worried if we didn't draft Jalen Carter to be the 3T of the future. 

Not sure JD has the side to side agility to be a great pass rusher, but if he can get a bit better at it this year and build on what he was showing as the run stopper last year then I'll be pretty happy about this season. 

What kind of sack #s do you think Carter can put up this year? Rookie DTs don't often get a lot of sacks, but I def think he's capable of somewhere between 5-8.

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

I'd be more worried if we didn't draft Jalen Carter to be the 3T of the future. 

Not sure JD has the side to side agility to be a great pass rusher, but if he can get a bit better at it this year and build on what he was showing as the run stopper last year then I'll be pretty happy about this season. 

What kind of sack #s do you think Carter can put up this year? Rookie DTs don't often get a lot of sacks, but I def think he's capable of somewhere between 5-8.

I think 5-8 is a good expectation. Really depends on the rotation too. The edges will make his job easier and vice versa. I would have guessed 5.5/6 myself. 

3 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

My response tbh was sarcasm. That’s why it was just a simple no. JD is being asked to fill a specific role. He has all the physical ability to rush the passer. I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Maybe a lot was conditioning his rookie year but he looked gassed all the time. In the SB there were key plays where he was being blocked 1 on 1 and he was just standing there engaging and not even pushing the pocket. However, that is super concerning to me if a 1st round pick has those types of issues. He needs to get massively better IMO. Although, it is true that DTs take a while to develop. 

I think 5-8 is a good expectation. Really depends on the rotation too. The edges will make his job easier and vice versa. I would have guessed 5.5/6 myself. 

I'm hoping Cox plays a bit less snaps than he has the past few years just to keep him fresher.

Haason, Nolan, and Josh def gonna be running the arc and forcing QBs to step up into the rush of Carter. 

Kinda like how you just saw with Nolan against Dawand Jones just now.

• Like 1

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

I'm hoping Cox plays a bit less snaps than he has the past few years just to keep him fresher.

Haason, Nolan, and Josh def gonna be running the arc and forcing QBs to step up into the rush of Carter. 

Kinda like how you just saw with Nolan against Dawand Jones just now.

I had Nolan as the 8th overall player in this class… so I expect big things

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

We only giving Jordan 3 snaps? He needs the reps too.

Yeah, I kinda envy the Cowboys keeping Mazi Smith out there for like the whole game to work on his conditioning.

Plus, Mazi played a lot more snaps per game at Michigan than JD did at Georgia.

Just think giving him a good amount of snaps would be beneficial. Don't have to overplay him, but giving him a whole half would be cool to see.

I really don't think the Eagles like playing anyone of importance much in preseason though.

2 minutes ago, EAGLES3658 said:

Maybe a lot was conditioning his rookie year but he looked gassed all the time. In the SB there were key plays where he was being blocked 1 on 1 and he was just standing there engaging and not even pushing the pocket. However, that is super concerning to me if a 1st round pick has those types of issues. He needs to get massively better IMO. Although, it is true that DTs take a while to develop. 

I get the concerns. He looked in much better shape this offseason. We will see how that holds up throughout the season. He never played a lot of snaps at UGA either. But as McCoy said if he can be elite at a certain assignment that’s a win even if people expect more well roundness out of first round picks. 

I had Nolan as the 8th overall player in this class… so I expect big things

Love that. You and me both. I had him a top 3 EDGE.

I would've been more than okay taking him at 10 if Jalen Carter didn't make it to 9. God bless the Lions, Seahawks, and Falcons.

• Like 1