Preseason game 2 GDT (I think it's against Denver)

Forge

16 hours ago, Forge said:

Will keep him off the field until they absolutely can't keep him off the field. That's brutal. Especially after the raiders game where he was also abysmal in pass pro 

Almost every pass pro rep he has taken has been really bad.  It is a major concern.  Nobody gets on the field for the 9ers unless you block for the other guys.  Then they will block for you, and every body goes to the big YAC party.  When you get dudes in there who don't block, the whole thing falls apart.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Some good stuff still. A few critiques I thought were over the top and just stated to say something lol. He did miss a few of the throws but overall I enjoy JTO's breakdowns. 

Yeah, I thought the same thing.  He spends five whole minutes breaking down his missed throw, then zips through his good plays in 15 seconds. 

I like the content from JTO, he is pretty negative, but generally informative.  I also think it would be a ton of fun to break down his 6 sack  2 INT, and 4 fumble performance against the NYG in 2008.  I really wish I could get that tape, and learn how to edit video, then get good at talking about football.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 2

Just now, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Yeah, I thought the same thing.  He spends five whole minutes breaking down his missed throw, then zips through his good plays in 15 seconds. 

I like the content from JTO, he is pretty negative, but generally informative.  I also think it would be a ton of fun to break down his 6 sack  2 INT, and 4 fumble performance against the NYG in 2008.  I really wish I could get that tape, and learn how to edit video, then get good at talking about football.

I just didn't really like how he acted like Lance's throw to Willis (which was bad) was the worst throw in NFL history and how he even tried bringing up a critique on the 2 point conversion. Kurt Warner was a HOF QB but he said on one of the breakdowns that he does not try to critique a QB if they missed a read because in actual game time, it is really hard and EVERY QB misses reads. JTO sometimes acts like a QB can process in a split second from read to read and if it was possible, then that would be awesome but it just is not reality. And let's be real, JTO was not the best of QBs in decision making lol.

Saying that, his breakdowns are generally good and he has a lot of knowledge so I listen when I can, especially when it relates to Niners QBs. 

I wish he would have shown the throw to Snead. That was Lance's best throw of the day. 

• Like 2

This is hilarious but something that most of these talking heads do. I've mentioned that obviously Silver and Middlekauff who work for The Volume are close to Cowherd and both are probably relaying stuff to him. 

From this to the SportsCenter clip.....lol.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I just didn't really like how he acted like Lance's throw to Willis (which was bad) was the worst throw in NFL history and how he even tried bringing up a critique on the 2 point conversion. Kurt Warner was a HOF QB but he said on one of the breakdowns that he does not try to critique a QB if they missed a read because in actual game time, it is really hard and EVERY QB misses reads. JTO sometimes acts like a QB can process in a split second from read to read and if it was possible, then that would be awesome but it just is not reality. And let's be real, JTO was not the best of QBs in decision making lol.

Saying that, his breakdowns are generally good and he has a lot of knowledge so I listen when I can, especially when it relates to Niners QBs. 

I wish he would have shown the throw to Snead. That was Lance's best throw of the day. 

Yeah, a bad read, or he crossed up the play call.  It could happen to anyone.  Although he is generally right on each individual play, he always asked "what was he thinking" when generally the guy doesn't have time to fully process everything.  Play, read(s), throw.  If he is thinking, he is going to end up taking 8 sacks, 4 fumbles, and end up shoving smelling salts up his nose to try to think faster.

This is hilarious but something that most of these talking heads do. I've mentioned that obviously Silver and Middlekauff who work for The Volume are close to Cowherd and both are probably relaying stuff to him. 

Dude, I just can't with ESPN anymore. Like....just no.  I feel like they are gas lighting 49ers fans, and this fan base is not having it.  

My favorite part of the game was when lance took the huddle, and the crowd got loud to know Lance still has support here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Yeah, a bad read, or he crossed up the play call.  It could happen to anyone.  Although he is generally right on each individual play, he always asked "what was he thinking" when generally the guy doesn't have time to fully process everything.  Play, read(s), throw.  If he is thinking, he is going to end up taking 8 sacks, 4 fumbles, and end up shoving smelling salts up his nose to try to think faster.

Yeah, he is condescending on some of his critiques and exaggerates too much for my liking at times. JTO does not hold back on Kyle's passing concepts though and he really despises a lot of the stuff we do in the passing game lol. 

The good defenses like the Cowboys are going to be able to take away the boot and play action game, so then do we have enough to win in a pure drop back game? 

A lot of people talking about how Sam is likely the 2. Sam as the 2 doesn't win you games. He has started 55 games and has shown what and who he is at the NFL level. He is vanilla and bland and fearful of letting it rip downfield. Yes, he stands in there and doesn't miss guys as often as Trey does and mechanically he's more consistent. However, Trey provides an element of downfield passing that this offense needs if they want to win against good teams if Purdy goes down. To a fault at that. I feel like Lance looks at the 2nd and 3rd levels too much sometimes and makes it harder on himself to hit the simple stuff underneath. I just like that when Trey gets going he can flip the field and the game in an instant. Sam had 5 drives and it felt like he ran 10 plays and went 20 yards. There is just nothing downfield with him. I found it very interesting that Sam slid 5 yards short on a 3rd and 15 when he is supposed to be competing for the backup job. Maybe he's been told its his, maybe Sam went into self preservation mode.

I just don't see any upside in keeping Sam as the 2 at this point. If you get to Sam, it's over. If you get to Trey, it may be over as well, but he may also progress with reps and give you a punchers chance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Guy has been to every practice and has said Lance has looked a tad better. So not sure if it's coming from Middlekauff who isn't going to practice and is going off of what guy says. But Middlekauff was extremely critical of Lance vs the Raiders. So idk. Lol but I don't think anyone has reported that Darnold has been better. 

18 hours ago, Forge said:

Will keep him off the field until they absolutely can't keep him off the field. That's brutal. Especially after the raiders game where he was also abysmal in pass pro 

Felt like TDP was surprised that defender was unblocked. Seems like it was a miss from Moore first than a miss by TDP. 

From my understanding TDP was suppose to be one of the better pass blockers in the 2022 draft. He's been bad overall past two games. 

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Guy has been to every practice and has said Lance has looked a tad better. So not sure if it's coming from Middlekauff who isn't going to practice and is going off of what guy says. But Middlekauff was extremely critical of Lance vs the Raiders. So idk. Lol but I don't think anyone has reported that Darnold has been better. 

I mean someone has reported it to Colin for him to say it....Unless he just made that up out of his a$$ lol. 

52 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

A lot of people talking about how Sam is likely the 2. Sam as the 2 doesn't win you games. He has started 55 games and has shown what and who he is at the NFL level. He is vanilla and bland and fearful of letting it rip downfield. Yes, he stands in there and doesn't miss guys as often as Trey does and mechanically he's more consistent. However, Trey provides an element of downfield passing that this offense needs if they want to win against good teams if Purdy goes down. To a fault at that. I feel like Lance looks at the 2nd and 3rd levels too much sometimes and makes it harder on himself to hit the simple stuff underneath. I just like that when Trey gets going he can flip the field and the game in an instant. Sam had 5 drives and it felt like he ran 10 plays and went 20 yards. There is just nothing downfield with him. I found it very interesting that Sam slid 5 yards short on a 3rd and 15 when he is supposed to be competing for the backup job. Maybe he's been told its his, maybe Sam went into self preservation mode.

I just don't see any upside in keeping Sam as the 2 at this point. If you get to Sam, it's over. If you get to Trey, it may be over as well, but he may also progress with reps and give you a punchers chance. 

Sam has experience and is able to hit certain open receivers and has not been taking any risks so Kyle likes that for his back up...Makes him feel a little more secure. But there is no doubt that while Darnold HAS made some big time throws in the first two games, the offense has sputtered as he has not been able to make plays on 3rd down to extend drives. 

I don't think it is a lock just yet that Darnold is the guy but maybe he is. We shall see the way the reps are distributed this week in practice and how much time both QBs get against the Chargers on Friday. 

31 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I found it very interesting that Sam slid 5 yards short on a 3rd and 15 when he is supposed to be competing for the backup job. Maybe he's been told its his, maybe Sam went into self preservation mode

I said the same thing right when that play happened. Really seems like he doesn't have cajones. He used to be a big risk taker but perhaps he has over corrected. 

I understand sliding and not taking a hit, but dont run on 3rd down if you arent willing to fight for the first. Either throw the ball, or run and give a real attempt at getting the first, even if it is preseason. 

24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sam has experience and is able to hit certain open receivers and has not been taking any risks so Kyle likes that for his back up...Makes him feel a little more secure. But there is no doubt that while Darnold HAS made some big time throws in the first two games, the offense has sputtered as he has not been able to make plays on 3rd down to extend drives. 

I don't think it is a lock just yet that Darnold is the guy but maybe he is. We shall see the way the reps are distributed this week in practice and how much time both QBs get against the Chargers on Friday. 

I agree with what you're saying, but Sam's experience is bad experience. 55 starts and he is the same guy. If this team asks him to play for any extended period of time they are screwed. Shanahan doesn't tailor his offense to his QB. So he is going to have to throw it into a tight window multiple times a game and he has proven cant do it. I would much rather see them take the chance with Trey as the 2 because of how he has shown improvement with game reps. You may be dead in the water either way, but Trey feels like he gives you a chance at survival.

Sam is oatmeal cookies, Trey has raisins in his.

right now, I think Kyle probably has the backup battle tilted slightly in Darnold's favor...but honestly, I've felt that way mostly since the minute we signed him. I think you can probably debate how much of a competition it was really was. Always felt like to me the idea was Sam as the backup but give Trey the opportunity to take the job, which I don't think he's done based on all the reporting and the two preseason games. 

I don't mind Sam as the in game backup, but if Purdy were to miss real time I'd hand that over to Trey

• Like 4