2023 Offensive line.

Old Guy

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Cross is not long-term for Seattle, the RT out for year. I don't think Tennessee is a playoff team. Nobody is trading for Bak and not playing him at LT. 

it doesn't really matter what you and I think of the other teams, all that matters is whether the staff thinks they "need to be" in order to keep their jobs and subsequently if they can convince the owner that they should make the deal.

Today's NFL deadline is a pretty active market.

31 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

David Bakhtiari has spent two years dealing with complications from a knee injury, he's not healthy, probably will never be again until he gets knee replacement surgery. He guts it out and still gives us all pro level play when he's out there. He sat down with the staff and made a plan to get him through the season and the beer and hoagie crowd is too obtuse to see it from the couch.

Hope Bakh gives Lambeau the bird too if they give him any grief.

I get your point of view.  What you stated could be what happened.  He's on a pre-determined game count.

But, go with me on this, why would game 2 be an "off" game for him?  He doesn't practice much.  

Only reason I can come up with is he aggravated something last week.

Cuz if it is purely because of turf?  That is something I'm not good with.  We easily could have rotated him at LT with Walker during the game and limited his snaps.

Just now, vegas492 said:

I get your point of view.  What you stated could be what happened.  He's on a pre-determined game count.

But, go with me on this, why would game 2 be an "off" game for him?  He doesn't practice much.  

Only reason I can come up with is he aggravated something last week.

Cuz if it is purely because of turf?  That is something I'm not good with.  We easily could have rotated him at LT with Walker during the game and limited his snaps.

You've heard of a 3rd down back!

Now introducing a 3rd down LT!

• Like 2

Assuming Bak plays this week against the Saints, and assuming Jenkins does not, it'll be interesting to see if they go with: 

69 - 70 - 71 - 76 - 50

or a different combo. Maybe kick Tom inside and put 63 or 73 at RT? Maybe Rhyan gets a look? Newman actually held up pretty well in the passing game yesterday, but (like much of our OL) was pretty lousy in the run game. 

21 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Assuming Bak plays this week against the Saints, and assuming Jenkins does not, it'll be interesting to see if they go with: 

69 - 70 - 71 - 76 - 50

or a different combo. Maybe kick Tom inside and put 63 or 73 at RT? Maybe Rhyan gets a look? Newman actually held up pretty well in the passing game yesterday, but (like much of our OL) was pretty lousy in the run game. 

Newman has the most starts and played well from what I could see. He’s clearly the next man up until it’s not working. Hope he runs with it for a short stint and then Jenkins comes back strong. 

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

The number of games is not the issue. It's a guy telling management which types of surfaces he will or will not play on. 

That should not be acceptable to anyone if that was the case. I'm hoping he's not injured and that was the case, but for anybody to think it's OK is just wrong. 

Is that true? honest question; I didn't read that.

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

First of all, none of us know for sure why he didn't play yesterday, but if it was because he didn't want to play on turf, he can go pound sand. That is not acceptable, and it should not be acceptable to anyone.

Perhaps we should withhold comment about why he didn't play until we find out exactly why.  If the medical team suggested he not play I don't know of many HCs who would override that.  

• Like 1

When Bakhtiari plays, he still plays at a very high level.  Obviously, what he is going through now and will for the rest of his career is having an impact on both himself and the team. 

In terms of this game, I'm sure Bak's decision was made based on the condition of his knee and how it feels. I'm also sure playing on turf was a contributing factor for this decision.  Bak himself has stated that after playing a game on turf, his joints always feel much worse than they would if he was on grass. So this is what we have and what we have to deal with.

I'm sure if Bakhtiari does play this coming weekend against the Saints at home, he will NOT be playing against the Lions due to the short turnaround between games.

So frankly if I were LaFleur, I would continue to play Walker whenever I could to accelerate his growth as fast as possible to see how good he can be.  Even if Bakhtiari plays on any given gameday, I would still give a meaningful amount of snaps to Walker to continue his growth.

We also have to accept the fact that we cannot depend on Bakhtiari anymore to be ready on any given Sunday. Plus, this is a player that elected to turn down any restructure of his contract this past year to offer the Packers relief under the salary cap.  His reasons were clear.  He wanted control over where he played for the remainder of his career. That's not to say he does not want to play for us...he just wants to keep all his options open. Therefore, its now time for us to prepare for that future.

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

That's absolutely true.  It is also normal to be let down as a fan.  This will be the 3rd season our top of the market LT won't be playing a full season and we've barely started the wear and tear of this one.  I'm sure he's not just sitting on his vet laurels saying he doesn't feel like practicing or playing on turf, but it hurts the team to have that much money not being put to work on the field.

Perhaps management and the medical staff keeping him out of this game will minimize the wear and tear on a 32 year old All-Pro LT?

12 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Perhaps we should withhold comment about why he didn't play until we find out exactly why.  If the medical team suggested he not play I don't know of many HCs who would override that.  

You are jumping in on the middle of the debate here. There was a lot of discussion back and forth before my post which covers that.