2023 Offensive line.

Old Guy

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Would you rather a have great run blocking OL or a great pass blocking OL?  Because you're rarely going to get both.

Probably comes down to what you envision for your offensive philosophy.  if you want to be a run oriented team, having a better run blocking line would be best.  

another thing to consider, can a good/great run blocking OL mask deficient pass blocking via the threat of the run, play action, etc vs a good/great pass blocking OL mask deficient run blocking?  Which is easier to cover with scheme and building off the other strength?

• Like 1

The OL needs to be restructured to see if improvement is possible.  Jenkins is fine.  Tom looks OK.   Runyon is playable, but certainly not a positive player.   LT and Center play have been poor being kind.

I'm ready to see if Rhyan can play.  Ready to put Yosh back in the starting lineup.

The current starting 5 simply isn't good enough in any area.  They can't run block, and the pressure has been heavy far too quickly.

We need to focus the draft on the lines.   We arent good enough on either side of the ball.

Scoring grades so far, on a 1-10 scale;

Walker: So far he still has a provisional 5. Can fluctuate between a 4 and a 6 from week-to-week. Showing he can make a living in the NFL but being a long-term starter is far from a sure thing.
Jenkins: Right now he's an 8- which is good to great- but pre-injury was around 9. Needs another season of relatively good health to get back up there. Still the best piece in the lineup.
Myers: About a 5.5. Can get up to 6.5 on a good day, can fall below 5 on a bad one. Seems very replaceable, but then I thought the same of Corey Linsley and even Scott Wells back in the day, so what do I know?
Runyan: 6. Range is less elastic than most; 5 to 6.25. Like Lane Taylor and Lucas Patrick before him, plugs a hole but can be upgraded, which is a pity because I turned into a mark due to his name.
Tom: Already clawed his way between a 6.5 and a 7. Either a suitable medium-to-long-term fixture at Tackle or maybe a definite upgrade at Center. Most would want him as the former but time will tell on that one.
Newman: 4.5-5.5 Range. Okay depth piece for a bottom-16 team, but that seems to be it.
Nijman: 5. Was a 6 going past the '21 and '22 seasons for doing yeoman's work at Tackle, but getting passed up by Walker cuts down the score, for now.
Rhyan: Provisional 5 until we see some game action that counts.
Jones: Same as Rhyan.
Bakhtiari: Talent-wise still an 8.5 and could pull 9+ on a good day, but availability has killed him. Consider him a 0 unless he somehow pulls a comeback out of his *ss next year.

Edited by Zycho32

The offensive line is the weakest link on the team. By far at this point. 

Whatever happens we can't trot Walker out at LT anymore. Time for Tom to move to LT and Nijman to play RT. Not sure this is the answer because Runyan and Meyers are not very good either. 

So I'd like to float out a bye week hypothetical to look forward to the 2024 offensive line. What are the potential scenarios for 2024 David Bakhtiari?

I'm using this forum to test my hypotheticals, so please feel free to poke holes in my logic. The way I see it:

-Bakh is unable to pass a physical. This means he can't be cut, correct?. He would have no trade value, and would remain on the Packers IR at a $40M cap hit. Ouch.

-Bakh is able to pass a physical. The Packers still can't stomach a $40M cap hit, and cut him to save $21M

-Bakh is able to pass a physical. The Packers still can't stomach a $40M cap hit, so they call up the Jets. Would the Packers pay part of his salary just to get a mid round pick?

Is there another option? I guess retirement, but I ruled that out since DB has said he'd like to keep playing.

Final question: Let's say DB wants to retire a Packer, what cap number would you want him at to stay?

• 1 month later...

Rasheed Walker, Let's grade this on a negative scale so I don't have to type so much. If he has a kudos play I'll mention it.

Chargers:

1. 13.50 All22 clock. Walkers 2nd series. Lines up a solid block on a safety 10 yards downfield. Don't hate seeing that. +.5
  2. 14.30 All22 clock The line is a GD mess here. Myers and Rhyan are pulling. Myers and Jenkins collide. PA pass and Toms the only blocker of 7 that isnt within 3 yards of each other. Not Walkers fault just had to mention this colossal failure 0.0
  3. 31.18 I have mixed feelings on this play. Khalil on the 5. bull. On one hand this is the most impressive rep from Walker Ive seen, forklifting Mack past the pocket. On the other hand, it's 100% holding, his hands almost touch around Macks back.. but it wasnt called! 0.0
  4. Busted *** Flea flicker to start the 2nd half. wide open Doubs if we get there. (Walkers not on the field but my brain has wandered) 0.0
  5. 1.05.55 Mack at 9. Musgrave with a "chip" but doesnt effect Mack.. Mack dips the edge strip sack, GB recovers.-1.5
  6. 1.06.55 Mack at 7. Bulls Walker into Loves lap, can't step into deep shot on double move. Watson has a step. -.5
  7. There was a +.5 play for an extended pass block earlier in the game I forgot to record. +.5

Facts and Takeaways:

• Ball is coming out quick most of the game.
  • Was turning in a fine game with Bosa out, 28 passing attempts, probably around 33% against Mack. Ill get better at actually charting this, maybe.
  • The one series Walker was tasked with extended pass blocking (and Mack settling in over the top of him) things took a quick turn south. Luckily bailed out by PI and we'd get the go ahead TD.
  • 2 times on PA he duos with Elgton while TE's are tasked with blocking the EDGE
  • Help sent his way 3 times, 1 pressure with help.
  • RB's run left 5 times with Walker. 9 yards.

Lions:

1. 1st pressure comes on Walkers 2nd drive, 2nd snap. Paschal is heads up 1v1. Bull rush 3 seconds. Love is able to duck it and run out right side. -1
  2. 37:46 on All22 clock. Walkers 3rd drive. stunt, his guy loops inside. leaves jenkins with 2 guys, who occupies both, Walker ends up just watching his guy go pressure. It's a good call on the stunt but Walker just has no idea whats happening. -.5
  3. 55.18 on All22 clock. Walkers 5th drive. Paschal in the 7, Bulls and collapses pocket 2.5s. Love bails out the back and scrambles for mid gain but Jenkins holds. -1
  4. 56.18 Walkers 5th drive. Harris in the 9. Bulls through inside shoulder. Balls out under 2 seconds Watson TD. -.5
  5. 1.04.35 Walkers 6th drive. (Nijman exits mid series after a benign looking play) Zone block PA, puts Paschal on the ground. always like to see DL on the ground. +1
  6. 1.14.29 Last drive. His first real big boy run block assignment, Cominsky heads up. Walker gets the better jump but Cominsky crosses his face for a stop on Taylor. -.5

Facts and takeaways:

• Ball is coming out quick.
  • 90% of his work comes against Paschal and Harris. (Nijman got Hutchinsons snap at RE, a W.)
  • Help was sent his way 3 times. Long developing plays he gets the extra guy, no pressures with help.
  • 17 pass blocking reps. 3 pressures.
  • Came away more impressed with his initial punch and his drive from time to time. extremely inconsistent on both.
  • RB's ran left 2 times with Walker. 0 yards.

Chiefs:

1. 15.42. Karlaftis at 5. Walker narrows his base and takes a spill bring George with him. Could easily be holding -.5
  2. 17.42 Omenihu 7, gets the edge and gets a hit on Love. 3.5s -.5
  3. 39.20 PA Kraft and Walker double Karlaftis, Kraft goes out into route, Walker forgets Karlaftis exists. QB hit. 4s from snap to throw, but PA.. -.5
  4. 40.40. Gotta note this one. PA Chris Jones at 3. Lines sliding right.  Walker does a really good job battling here while Jones has his hand up 63's nose. that's some blatant hands to the face but he's battling well here. +.5
  5. 41.22 Mike Danna at the 7. able to get the edge for QB hit + hands to the face on 63, **** it Doubs down there somewhere. -.5
  6. 52.50. Does a slick little sweater tug on 90 on the backside of a toss play, throwing omenihu off balance. fun little block but delay of game. 0.0
  7. 53.36 ball on the hash. Omenihu at 7. speed to power. Toms probably beat a smidge worse by Karlaftis here, in the same way. Tom and Walker bump butts. Love has to bail. 3s -.5
  8. 57.34 Omenihu stunts inside, flash of color causes Love to bail back and left. Walker holds. -1
  9. 58.20 Omenihu at 7. bulls Walker right into Loves lap. 2s. -.5
  10. 1.02.08 Danna at the 3. Odd look got us in a bad shift, slide right to a bluff pressure, Myers and Elgton are out of work, Taylor is iso'd on omenihu (does a decent job for the task), Love slides up in the pocket, Walker loses leverage.. Danna gets sack. more on Love/bad line shift than Walker though. 0.0
  11. 1.06.00 Zone PA sliding right. Omenihu at 5 crosses face gets quick pressure. -.5
  12. 1.06.12 WR screen left. Walker gets out in front and bullies little number 20. +.5

Facts and Takeaways:

• Again ball is coming out qucikly
  • Easily Walkers worst game of the winning streak in pro. There's no reset on the anchor, hes getting more than he gives.
  • 33 pro snaps. 3 snaps came against karlaftis/jones. Most coming against omenihu then danna.
  • Karlaftis went 2-2 against him in my book.
  • first "have to have it" FG series Walker got 3 of his 5 helping hands.
  • His hands got high a few times this game could lead to trouble.
  • He's got a little attitude to him that is nice compared to what Nijman brings.
  • Feels quite strong moving forward at times generating some good push. other times loses the pad level and goes nowhere.
  • some nimble feet, hopping around DE to get past a few times. 
  • RB's ran left 4 times for 16 yards.

Overall takeaways.

MLF and Love are getting it out quickly, which helps all OL everywhere. MLF is sending help to Rasheed when the quick game isn't an option. Pretty easy to see we're doing what we can to help Rasheed, which of course we are. Opposing teams are deploying their B tier rushers over him a vast majority of the time, while still finding decent success.

I think he's a good backup to have on the roster to continue to develop. Got quite a few bad habits to break. feet go narrow during the bull, unless he's way stronger than everyone he plays gonna be hard to consistently stop anyone. bends at the waist, not gonna be low man consistently. Doesnt gain much ground with his kicks. I like him better when he's not catching in pro. He wears a ****ty number.

I'll probably go through one of the earlier games tomorrow and add it to this, but also maybe not.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 3