2023 Offensive line.

Old Guy

8 minutes ago, craig said:

Don't see Packers doing any trading of Nijman.  But quarters for nickels analogy is nice and catchy, but lacks a little nuance.  Not all tackles are the same value (they aren't all quarters), nor are all guards nickels.  

*IF* you're not projecting to pay Nijman for a FA extension, then his value is expiring.  And if it's quarters for nickels, then you ought to be able to get a guard who is much better relative to guards than your tackle is relative to other tackles.  A 70th percentile guard for a 45th percentile tackle?  

Probably closer to 60th percentile, unless the other team's established tackles are incredibly bad.

2023 is really about 2024.

2024 is the first realistic season where GB will have a full cap to play with.  Expecting to compete before then is overly optimistic.

For me, the time to trade Bak is now.  He still has value to Tackle needy teams.  He can still play at an elite level, but the injury concerns have you really worried for the long term.

2025 Bak is a decent chance to be injured an out of the league. 2024 Bak could easily be playing his final season.  GB is doing everything to build his value, and hopefully will be receiving aggressive offers at the trade deadline.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I think you don't have a realistic idea of what a backup OL in the NFL is. You give Royce or Hanson help and they'll get you through a game minimally unscathed.

You give a 95-year-old with a walker help they can probably get across the street. I'd hardly call how Hanson played last year 'getting us through the game!'. Our QB was running for his life because Hanson was getting run over. Newman has barely been a speed bump.

If those are 'realistic' expectations for backups, it's not good enough. 

2 hours ago, Leader said:

It's not 2023...but....

If this is the case and the Jets come calling around the trade deadline, I'm answering the phone if I'm Gute. I'm going to try and rob them blind too. I don't see Bak on the team in 2024 either. Nijman, I think it's too early to tell. Depends how he plays when/if he plays this year. Also depends on what the cost is to bring him back. This is in direct correlation with how much he plays and how well he plays.

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You give a 95-year-old with a walker help they can probably get across the street. I'd hardly call how Hanson played last year 'getting us through the game!'. Our QB was running for his life because Hanson was getting run over. Newman has barely been a speed bump.

I think the problem last year was that you had Hanson and Newman playing side by side. And both were playing their weaker position with  with Hanson at RG and Newman at RT. In a pinch, I think you can get by with Hanson at C or Newman at RG if the rest of the line is solid. 

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It isn't good enough, that's why they're backups. If they were good enough they'd be starters.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It isn't good enough, that's why they're backups. If they were good enough they'd be starters.

Serviceable back up who can stay in front of people without getting run over are commonplace in the NFL. Newman has just regressed to the point it difficult to watch. Hanson is just not good enough. 

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Serviceable back up who can stay in front of people without getting run over are commonplace in the NFL. Newman has just regressed to the point it difficult to watch. Hanson is just not good enough. 

Garrett Bradbury BEEN starting. Idk man. If those dudes are commonplace thank God no one told the rest of the division about it for the last 10 years.

• Like 1

Just now, HighCalebR said:

Garrett Bradbury BEEN starting. Idk man. If those dudes are commonplace thank God no one told the rest of the division about it for the last 10 years.

Their ineptitude should not become our standard. Nor should we try and lower ourselves to their standards. 

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Their ineptitude should not become our standard. Nor should we try and lower ourselves to their standards. 

I didn't suggest that it should. I'm talking about our backups vs their starters. Which is exactly what depth means. 

The Packers possess one of the better lines in the league and 2 positions are up for grabs? Leads me to believe there's not dudes you can just grab off the street and throw in there.

Edited by HighCalebR

32 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

This is 1000% incorrect. You need to watch teams other than GB. Many can't find starters at this level.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I didn't suggest that it should. I'm talking about our backups vs their starters. Which is exactly what depth means. 

The Packers possess one of the better lines in the league and 2 positions are up for grabs? Leads me to believe there's not dudes you can just grab off the street and throw in there.

There really aren't.

We are talking about backups here.  Backups should be younger players who are ascending.  Or?  A proven vet who can be a "swing" tackle.  We know this is how it works.

And our young kids are doing just fine.  Nijman is a great definition of both a young and ascending player and a vet who can be a "swing" tackle.

Newman is not as bad as advertised.  When he played out of position?  Yes.  But as Guard 3 or Guard 4, he's fine.  He's also a tease.  Which means, talent is there.

And this I know.  We have some really good backup tackles.  It's easier to cover up a guard than it is a tackle.

My final thought...I hope and pray that I never have to see Hanson playing a snap outside of center.  

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This is 1000% incorrect. You need to watch teams other than GB. Many can't find starters at this level.

It's an odd look.  Complaining about our o-line right now.  We have competition at maybe two spots and have some nice up and coming players for the bench.  I feel like the OL is a strength of this team right now.

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

2023 is really about Jordan Love.

That's why you don't trade Bakhtiari.

What's the value of a 2nd round pick? What's the value of Jordan Love, healthy, playing at the highest level he can because we're entirely invested in his development this year and then rewarding us for the next 10 years because of that investment?

Which one is worth more? Think that's easy to answer. Trading Bakhtiari is short term greed over the long term investment.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

It's an odd look.  Complaining about our o-line right now.  We have competition at maybe two spots and have some nice up and coming players for the bench.  I feel like the OL is a strength of this team right now.

Royce Newman started on this team as a rookie. There's a lot of other teams he'd be starting for in this league. He's our #7/8 after hitting on some picks. That's a very good thing. Strange indeed to have complaints about this group.