2023-24 College Football Prospect Watch

KingTitan

55 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

No FCS guy. Just take the bigger school guy. I'll take a L on missing on him, if he hits. 

At 320, he could play guard.

Don’t spend an early pick on him, but if he’s good at the combine and has good tape, I don’t care if he’s an FCS guy.

This is the exact same way I feel about Caleb Williams. He’s a generational talent & he can very well be the next Mahomes, but people seem to compare Caleb the prospect to mahomes the all pro QB not Caleb the prospect to mahomes coming out of Texas tech. Their play, & skillset are nearly identical.

4 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

This is the exact same way I feel about Caleb Williams. He’s a generational talent & he can very well be the next Mahomes, but people seem to compare Caleb the prospect to mahomes the all pro QB not Caleb the prospect to mahomes coming out of Texas tech. Their play, & skillset are nearly identical.

But you do kind of have to compare him to Pat Mahomes the all-pro QB as well, because ceiling is a very big part of it. Arm talent and skillset wise, he has the ceiling of a Pat Mahomes/prime Aaron Rodgers. Which is the highest ceiling you can possibly have, currently.

He likely won't be Pat Mahomes "the All-Pro" day 1 stepping up onto an NFL field, but neither was Pat Mahomes. But you draft him because you believe he can get there or at least closer than anyone else.

33 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

But you do kind of have to compare him to Pat Mahomes the all-pro QB as well, because ceiling is a very big part of it. Arm talent and skillset wise, he has the ceiling of a Pat Mahomes/prime Aaron Rodgers. Which is the highest ceiling you can possibly have, currently.

He likely won't be Pat Mahomes "the All-Pro" day 1 stepping up onto an NFL field, but neither was Pat Mahomes. But you draft him because you believe he can get there or at least closer than anyone else.

I'm a very vocal non-believer in Caleb Williams "the generational talent."  Caleb Williams the good QB, I'm on board with. 
I side with Hodge more than anything. 

I don't see this guy that is Mahomes. He doesn't have the arm. He won't go to maybe the best coach this generation outside of Bellichk, in Andy Reid.

He will get drafted to maybe Chicago, Washington or even if someone like the Raiders traded up. I haven't seen him play the QB spot without the scramble plays. Doesnt mean he can't do it, but he is going to have to learn how to do that and he won't be given the same grace Mahomes got (by sitting his first year). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm a very vocal non-believer in Caleb Williams "the generational talent."  Caleb Williams the good QB, I'm on board with. 
I side with Hodge more than anything. 

I don't see this guy that is Mahomes. He doesn't have the arm. He won't go to maybe the best coach this generation outside of Bellichk, in Andy Reid.

He will get drafted to maybe Chicago, Washington or even if someone like the Raiders traded up. I haven't seen him play the QB spot without the scramble plays. Doesnt mean he can't do it, but he is going to have to learn how to do that and he won't be given the same grace Mahomes got (by sitting his first year). 

That's fair, too, though in my view kind of crazy as well.

He has a tendency to play hero ball, yes, but he's shown he can play within structure, or at least I've for sure seen him do it. He also has the tools for it, he processes things well most often and has a quick release. Can make every throw you can ask him to and some that at least 90% of current NFL quarterbacks probably won't.

I can understand why some might argue he needs "fixing" or that his current level hasn't touched his full ceiling, but that's an incredible short-sighted view IMHO. In terms of talent or potential, yes, I do believe he's as "generational" as there is and much better than we've seen in a long time.

2 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

That's fair, too, though in my view kind of crazy as well.

He has a tendency to play hero ball, yes, but he's shown he can play within structure, or at least I've for sure seen him do it. He also has the tools for it, he processes things well most often and has a quick release. Can make every throw you can ask him to and some that at least 90% of current NFL quarterbacks probably won't.

I can understand why some might argue he needs "fixing" or that his current level hasn't touched his full ceiling, but that's an incredible short-sighted view IMHO. In terms of talent or potential, yes, I do believe he's as "generational" as there is and much better than we've seen in a long time.

Fair also.

While I think he could be a franchise QB.  But I don't see it as anything greater than say Watson, Lawerence, Kyler, Baker or Stroud. 

Generational feels like can't miss, sure fire thing.   
I think he could be as good as Burrow or as bad as Mariota. Toss up. 

Yeah, he's not generational.  He's a better prospect than anyone last year, I think.  He's way stronger than any prospect in 2022.  But you only can go back to 2021 before you come across a much better prospect in Trevor Lawrence.  Then another year to find another prospect around the same level with Joe Burrow.

He's a very good prospect.  He's a no brainer first overall.  But he's not a once in a decade, generational type prospect.  Not even close.

• Like 1

According to this, NFL scouts, analysts, GMs would strongly disagree. Personal preference and review aside, Trevor Lawrence is not a "much better" prospect than Caleb Williams, though sure, I could understand them being in the same tier or close, without necessarily agreeing with that. 

Burrow and Mayfield weren't QB1 until later in the pre-Draft process because they built on seriously great final college years. Murray had one year of experience. 

But most importantly, again, I think we're missing what it is that make him "generational", and that's ceiling, not how ready we might think he is day 1. He is the closest thing you can hope for that could realistically grow into being the type of a quarterback that Mahomes or prime Rodgers were, and I'm not talking out of this class, but out of the past several years included. 

Sure, as a pro he could bust, as there is no such thing as a can't-miss-prospect. But as a prospect, yes, he definitely is generational.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, he's not generational.  He's a better prospect than anyone last year, I think.  He's way stronger than any prospect in 2022.  But you only can go back to 2021 before you come across a much better prospect in Trevor Lawrence.  Then another year to find another prospect around the same level with Joe Burrow.

He's a very good prospect.  He's a no brainer first overall.  But he's not a once in a decade, generational type prospect.  Not even close.

Exactly. 
The generational tag is where I push back the most and get annoyed. lol

He is without a doubt worthy of #1 status and someone worth trading up for to get a QB that could potentially be their franchise QB. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

This is the worst argument anyone can make regarding any prospect.

It's not an argument as much as acknowledging that people that do this stuff for a living are viewing him as the top prospect they've seen in at least the past five classes.

I mean we can go round and round in circles and it's not gonna get us anywhere. You don't think he's "generational" and that's fine, I guess. I disagree. 

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I personally think that Kyler Murray was a better prospect than WIlliams. 

I think you need to be drug tested my good man, I’ve never seen Kyler Murray make the type of throws Williams has made in college. His skillet is the closest thing to mahomes at Texas tech. But like I’ve said I seriously doubt he reaches his full potential because this a copy cat league, & he’s not going to fall in the perfect situation Mahomes fell in. An already loaded Roster with talent at each skill position, 1 of the smartest offensive minds to coach the game of football, & being able to sit a yr, work on his mechanics & how to be a pro. That’s the reason mahomes is who he is today. 

3 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

It's not an argument

I agree.

3 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

as much as acknowledging that people that do this stuff for a living are viewing him as the top prospect they've seen in at least the past five classes.

I mean we can go round and round in circles and it's not gonna get us anywhere. You don't think he's "generational" and that's fine, I guess. I disagree. 

Some are.  And, as it is with every prospect in the history of prospecting, you can find many that say the exact opposite.  It's meaningless, along with being one of the classic logical fallacies.  Which is why it's the worst argument you can make.