2024 Draft

Ftn49

12 minutes ago, JIllg said:

See, I like Edge in the first because the class is really top heavy. You can get some interesting DTs and OL guys (by current consensus) later on. I don't think you can with edge. Plus, I don't think the tackles fall and I'm not a Barton or Fautanu in the first guy. Fautanu, for one, was not the run blocker his stocky build might have you believe. And Barton is a talented run blocker but I just really worry about his anchor for a first round guy, even at tackle. So that leaves edges, really. Maybe a falling corner just for value. Maybe a falling DT for value. But I don't think that the OTs that I find acceptable will fall. I guess Jordan Morgan if you dig that. But he was worse at Senior Bowl reps than some of these day 2 cats.

And I get that too. That's why I was beating the drum for a while that the defensive line could definitely be in play in the first round earlier. But I don't like the second round options at edge. 

But if they are okay with McKivitz for next year and think guard is the bigger issue and that improving there would be the biggest improvement, I could totally see what you're saying. 

Something like 1) Trice, 2) Haynes, 3) Christian Jones (?? Not sure what you think about the fit), 3b) Jaylen Wright? 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

And I get that too. That's why I was beating the drum for a while that the defensive line could definitely be in play in the first round earlier. But I don't like the second round options at edge. 

But if they are okay with McKivitz for next year and think guard is the bigger issue and that improving there would be the biggest improvement, I could totally see what you're saying. 

Something like 1) Trice, 2) Haynes, 3) Christian Jones (?? Not sure what you think about the fit), 3b) Jaylen Wright? 

I do like this start to a draft! Trice can handle the role that Chase Young was playing in the playoffs right away and be similarly athletic but hot and cold. Haynes for me is the best pure offensive guard in the draft. He fights hard to anchor in spite of his relatively light weight against monster guys and he is a plus athlete as a pass protector and in the running game. Really fun tape. Had good Senior Bowl reps. Very good pff grades in both pass protection and run blocking. Home run. Honestly, I think Haynes's even worth a sniff in the first round. Would prefer him over the Barton types.

I really like Christian Jones (he was in the list of guys that I value above consensus, so you can check out the analysis there ;). And I like Jaylen Wright. At the Wright spot, you could do just about whatever you want. Linebacker that falls? Defensive tackle that falls? Snag them! Whichever running back you really think that can phase in behind McCaffrey? I have zeroed in on MarShawn Lloyd, but there's a few interesting options both at the high end and later on (I've mentioned Guerendo later on and I really would like to take a flyer on Rasheen Ali).

For me, this second third round spot is where I might try to steal Malik Washington to satisfy my obsession. With the first three guys you mentioned, you've really solidified a lot of problems with the roster and you can get around to try and snipe folks that are fits for your team specifically.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

They drafted Aaron Banks in the second, so its not without precedent, though obviously Shanahans have preferred the value route when it comes to especially the interior of the line

I'm wondering more about how big of a need we view guard. Do we need a depth pickup under Felicano or are we outright trying to replace him?

So, for Christian Haynes, because I really want to wax poetic about him more - you know how Jason Poe is a hilariously athletic bowling ball with short arms that can do really fun things? Imagine that dude, but 2" taller with 34" arms. That's Christian Haynes. He does some hilariously fun things on reach blocks and in space. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Geek said:

I'm wondering more about how big of a need we view guard. Do we need a depth pickup under Felicano or are we outright trying to replace him?

Me being me, I would draft a guy relatively high with the issues I saw all season. That doesn't mean that's what the team will do though.

13 hours ago, JIllg said:

Offensive Tackle: Christian Jones - Jones is one of the most experienced prospects in the draft and it shows in his ability to pick up stunts and blitzes. He'll never be a perfect pass protector because he isn't a terrific athlete that can get tons of width on his kick sets, but he was good enough and showed that he could handle a bit of everything in Senior Bowl reps. And while the pass protection isn't exciting, the zone run blocking is. Might be the best reach blocker at tackle that isn't Fuaga or Latham or Alt in the class. Can just crush dudes. He'd kind of be somewhat like McGlinchey was for us. But super cheap. And we missed McGlinchey's run blocking and his better than McKivitz pass blocking.

I have no idea how I missed this when mentioning Jones lol. Maybe it was in my head in the back of my mind because at first I was going to mention someone like goncalves and then decided to mention Jones 

Excellent write up. I do think he fits a lot of the shanny love boxes as well. 

14 hours ago, JIllg said:

Running Back: Isaac Guerendo - converted WR; legit 4.3 guy. He's split backfield reps a couple of times and I don't think he'd be a long term McCaffrey replacement (see MarShawn Lloyd for this), I do think that he'd be a very nice Matt Breida-y change of pace that could handle some receiving work and hit a home run or two for us. I have something like a fifth round valuation on him.

Have not watched, will do

Offensive Guard: Cooper Beebe - Beebe is another one of the most experienced prospects in the draft and he also picks up stunts and blitzes well. He's not a terrific athlete at guard, but he was a very good pass protector in college just because of his smarts and anchor. And the upside is that he absolutely kills people in the running game as a down blocker, reach blocker, and puller. I very much enjoy getting Beebe and Jones at the bottom of the third and feeling very comfortable that the punch from the right side of the line will be as good as the left and our pass protection will get better and significantly more consistent. Plus, Beebe has experience at both Tackle spots as well if you need a temporary fill in. Although that should be temporary, because he isn't the kind of athlete that can hang there at the NFL level.

I think we've touched on beebe before, but you pretty much covered the biggest concern with his complete lack of athleticism. For that reason, I kind of think he's guard only (at least for us). I've seen him mentioned as a possible center convert and I don't think that happens with the niners

Javon Baker is a later round WR I want.. former Bama guy who was stuck behind all their studs.. transfered to UCF and didn't have a fantastic junior year, but as a senior this stat line is pretty nuts. 52 catches for 1139 yards 7 tds. 

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

Have not watched, will do

Guerendo reminds me a bit of Mostert running outside zone. He's tough enough to break arm tackles and when you give him a runway, he has a gear other guys don't have. He's going to run sub 4.4. And he has plus ball skills given the WR background. And he returned kickoffs, which is probably a plus for next year.

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

Jeremiah has Barton to the niners for mock 2.0 

Barton will drop to pick 31? I have not studied any of the prospects yet but I have seen him go as high as like 13-16 in some mock drafts. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Barton will drop to pick 31? I have not studied any of the prospects yet but I have seen him go as high as like 13-16 in some mock drafts. 

Man, people have odd evaluations on Barton, lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think there's a pretty good chance he's there. He's basically IOL #3 in the draft  (I'd fail Fautanu at tackle first, but he's often evaluated as a guard as well)

• Like 1