2024 Draft

Ftn49

35 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Okay, finally got around to at least some cursory work on Kiran Amegadjie. Love his body type. He looks like Fuaga or Trent where he's got the density to move people while still having the physical tools to be a pass protector. Was a nasty run blocker against his level of competition (like Fuaga, sometimes to the point of farce, but I want that aggression). He's got extraordinary arm length for any size, but downright incredible for his stockier body - damn near 37" arms. He's rehabbing a quad injury that he's had surgery on, so no postseason info. But this is exactly the sort of guy that I'd like to get into the building for a year or two to learn from Trent. High upside, even higher for us. The floor is rough and the return right away is unlikely to be great, but he's got some rare tools. 

He's mean. He's got some nice finishes on his blocks. 

Not as consistently physically dominant as you'd think he would be considering the level of play from what I saw. I thought his hands got out too wide in pass pro and he's a little susceptible lunging. Lunging / balance was probably the biggest thing. He's going to need to lock that in on the grip because when a DE uses a swipe and Kiran misses, he's absolutely cooked. I do not see recovery from him around the edge wide (not a big deal, you don't see that level of recovery from most OT's...really hard to flip back like that when you're that big) and overall just far more susceptible wide than he is inside. Didn't see many stunts or backside blitzes, but he looked a little slow picking those up. I think that's maybe an experience in dealing with them thing. 

But I will say, really impressed with how well he times the snap and he plays a pretty clean game. Yale's QB was very willing to break the pocket, and Kiran just has a really good feel on when that happens based on how the defender changes his path so he releases and doesn't get hit with the hold. But it's not always easy to do that. 

If he gets to sink back in his protection, he will absolutely lock you up in pass pro. He moves really well in his phone booth to keep guys in front of him. 

I think he's a third round guy and I think the niners may have to take him with their second. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's mean. He's got some nice finishes on his blocks. 

Not as consistently physically dominant as you'd think he would be considering the level of play from what I saw. I thought his hands got out too wide in pass pro and he's a little susceptible lunging. Lunging / balance was probably the biggest thing. He's going to need to lock that in on the grip because when a DE uses a swipe and Kiran misses, he's absolutely cooked. I do not see recovery from him around the edge wide (not a big deal, you don't see that level of recovery from most OT's...really hard to flip back like that when you're that big) and overall just far more susceptible wide than he is inside. Didn't see many stunts or backside blitzes, but he looked a little slow picking those up. I think that's maybe an experience in dealing with them thing. 

But I will say, really impressed with how well he times the snap and he plays a pretty clean game. Yale's QB was very willing to break the pocket, and Kiran just has a really good feel on when that happens based on how the defender changes his path so he releases and doesn't get hit with the hold. But it's not always easy to do that. 

If he gets to sink back in his protection, he will absolutely lock you up in pass pro. He moves really well in his phone booth to keep guys in front of him. 

Definitely agree on the lunging and balance - the good thing is that he just has no need to lean on that as a crutch against power long term. When you are as solidly built as he is and as long as he is, you can be downright arrogant against power and let them come onto you. That's actually teachable, I think. But that need for development and the lack of width on the kick sets (like Fuaga) that are the immediate limiters. But I like him way, way more than your Suamataias and sorts. 

• Like 1

So, I thought Chop was freaky on tape but with some concerns against better tackles. But when you are a Micah Parsons level freak and you actually played some Edge in college, I think that you are going to go in the first fifteen picks (and hopefully push someone else down the board).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

that's pretty funny 

Sadly got injured on his 40. 

Honestly looking mostly forward to the RB for the testing. Like there is so much depth there that the athletic testing will be big for most. Really lacks that eye catching top level one but i have so many guys i would feel very comfortable with from the 3rd round back its actually insane.

Edited by Justone2

27 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Theo Johnson with the #1 all time RAS for TEs. More importantly, Ben Sinnott also tested like an elite athlete. Do it 9ers.

They are going to draft cam latu again. That's how much they believe in him

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

They are going to draft cam latu again. That's how much they believe in him

I was so excited last draft season. There was Sam LaPorta that I was theorycrafting trades up in the third round for because he had identical physcial characteristics to George Kittle and Tucker Kraft who I thought had some wiggle for a bigger TE that would be a nice complement. We did bring both of those guys in for visits, but the run on tight ends happen (much hate to Green Bay) meant we felt like we had to draft the one guy that we brought in for a visit that I thought was undraftable due to his lack of both production and physical upside in the dang third round. Because like...he started playing football late? And went to Alabama? The reasoning was terrible even at the time. If the tight ends where you are aren't good and you don't want to trade up, you can not draft them!

I was hanging with my brother and I had just said that what I expected and wanted from our picks at the end of the third round first was Ja'Ayir Brown. And when I got that right, my brother asked who I didn't want that I could see us picking next. And I immediately said that it was Cameron Latu. My brother and I do the draft thing every year and we had a good laugh together when the Raiders took Alex Leatherwood just like we both had predicted in the Trey Lance draft year. Anyhow, I told him the Cam Latu thing would be just like that, only Leatherwood at least had an elite RAS/SPARQ score that just didn't appear at all on the field.

That pick and the Tyrion Davis-Price pick have earned my greatest animosity so far. Even Jake Moody I hated less; I saw that one coming.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

Theo Johnson with the #1 all time RAS for TEs. More importantly, Ben Sinnott also tested like an elite athlete. Do it 9ers.

Definitely think you're going to get your wish

All this being said, I kind of liked Theo Johnson's tape a bit when I saw that we had interviewed him prior to him blowing up the combine. Thought he was a bit better of an athlete than advertised and I liked him more than some of the chaff that we had also brought in. But I thought that the better than average athlete vibe was like...running a 4.65 with a solid three cone. Also Johnson at least tries as a blocker. It'll be interesting to see how high this combine performace vaults him and Jared Wiley. Wiley I want no part of because he doesn't do anything whatsover as a blocker.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

That man took so many flat routes and out routes and busted tackles all freaking day. Not surprised. I thought that he'd be about a 4.7 guy, though. He does not have top end speed. But in short areas college athletes just couldn't hang. And I saw him pancake defensive ends at times. You felt that physical explosiveness.

19 hours ago, JIllg said:

So, I thought Chop was freaky on tape but with some concerns against better tackles. But when you are a Micah Parsons level freak and you actually played some Edge in college, I think that you are going to go in the first fifteen picks (and hopefully push someone else down the board).

I’m pretty bummed that chop tested so well. He definitely has that GTFO factor in his game based on tape.